I wish Roger Moore would stop his continual praise of Craig and his Bond films

edited October 2012 in Actors Posts: 1,661
Let me just say - I am huge Moore Bond fan but I don't get why he needs to keep praising Craig and his Bond films.

Moore has said:

"Daniel Craig is the "perfect Bond"

"Daniel Craig Is The Best James Bond Ever"

Roger Moore has loads of natural screen charisma. I would argue way more than Craig has.

Moore was outrageously good looking (back in the day) and a natural fit for Bond's look (if we believe Bond looks like a film star.) Who knows, perhaps he doesn't but let's pretend he does. :P

Moore was great with one liners.

Moore could act tough - "what a helpful chap!" - " I believe you left this with Ferrara" - "ow, your hurting my arm!"

Moore's Bond films had huge action, over-the-top villains.

Also, why does Moore never praise Dalton or Brosnan or Lazenby? Has he seen their Bond films? This is not meant to have a go at Roger Moore - he can say what he likes - I just feel he's like Eon's unofficial spokesman for Daniel Craig. :-? Weird.

Comments

Well simple fact is, he's seen Daniel Craig's films and enjoyed them (Quantum aside).

Is he not allowed to have an opinion?
    Is he not entitled to his opinion?

Some people really do think he's the best (along with Connery).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    When Dalton and Brosnan became Bond he praised them. He said that ''when the public see Pierce they will forget all about Sean and me''. But Craig is Bond now so he is bound to be asked questions about him. Roger Moore has always been a diplomat and a great ambassador for Bond.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,661
    But he's never praised Dalton or Brosnan or Lazenby. I just curious why he dismisses his own Bond and believes Craig is a better Bond? I dunno, perhaps Moore should have a bit more ego and say

"Craig is great but not as handsome or as charming as my Bond."

I don't think anyone would think Moore arrogant or disrespectful for saying that. He could wink when he said it so you know he's not being ultra serious but you would know that was his real feelings.

I don't find his constant "sucking up" to Craig's Bond that attractive. It doesn't detract from his own Bond performances. I'm just not a fan of his constant praise of Craig as if to suggest no other Bond actor comes close to Daniel Craig's version. That's what I find unappealing about his comments.
    Because maybe he doesn't believe that himself? Also if he said that he'd start sounding like George Lazenby!
    He does seem to promote Craig to help the franchise. Sort of Eon's unofficial spokesperson. That's just the impression I get. Anyway, not wishing to have a go at the chap, I am a huge Moore Bond fan. If he likes Craig's Bond that much - if he thinks he's the greatest ever - fair enough. Just a bit surprised he downplays his own achievements as Bond.
    come on guys, jesus.
    Moore has a long history with Bond, a great relationship with Eon and a Bond book he's travelling the country to promote.
    What's he supposed to say, Craig is crap and so is Skyfall and talk about Dalton and Brosnan who are long since gone as being much better.

No, there you go.

BTW, if you've seen Skyfall then you will probably be with the other 95% who have that find it better than anything Moore, Dalton and Brosnan have done, because IMO it is (and I'm not dissing their films, this one is that good).
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,243
    I don't think those comments by Roger will make Sean happy. Admiring Daniel is one thing, but outright calling him the best Bond is unfair to the others. You could not have Daniel and his approach without the previous groundwork in the series.

And I hope Daniel does not make the mistake of the hype going to his head because that will backfire at some point. Though I think Daniel knows the game and realises that if the franchise has a few more Bond actors, he will have to see the spotlight of best on another man. The best Bond question cannot be answered.

When Timothy took over as Bond, Roger could not watch them. He still has not which is odd and therefore how can he say Daniel is the best if you don't know Tim's? I do not understand why he has not watched Dalton's which he admitted in an interview last year.

Roger had a 7 film run and surely at close to 60 years old, he was past his prime. It is not like Dalton replaced him after TMWTGG so why the avoidance?
  • Roger's being modest...he's the best Bond.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 401
    A. Does it really matter what Roger Moore's opinion is on Craig, or anything for that matter? I don't think anybody is going to base their opinions on Bond because of what Roger Moore says. Nobody should base their opinions on what other people say anyway, they should base it on what they think. It's like basing your opinion on a film on what Roger Ebert says just because he's a well known critic.

B. What do expect him to say, Craig is awful? He's just being nice. The only ones who really voice their true opinions are the ones that feel like they got cheated out of something during their time as Bond, e.g. Sean Connery, George Lazenby, and, at times, Pierce Brosnan.
    Rog has always been modest about his contributions. The closest I heard him brag is when he said that he must have done pretty good in the Bond role, since they asked him to do 7 of the films. I don't think anyone can dispute that Roger Moore was more believable as a Bond womanizer than Daniel Craig is. Moore in his day was more handsome and suave than Craig. I don't think the other Bonds would be upset that he says that Craig is the best. Everybody has their opinion. I think if he trashed others...yes, they would be upset. But, he hasn't. Besides, Roger Moore reminds me of the late legendary newsman, Walter Cronkite. No one could be upset at the great Cronkite. No one can be upset at the great Roger Moore.
    Ellis wrote:
    No one can be upset at the great Roger Moore.
    I am. Those 7 films could have went to someone who wouldn't have turned Bond into a series for kids ages 5 to 12. Only 2 out of those 7 films are somewhat entertaining.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 224
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    I am. Those 7 films could have went to someone who wouldn't have turned Bond into a series for kids ages 5 to 12.

In the final analysis, it was Cubby's decision to go the route they went in the 70s and 80s....not Roger Moore's. And Cubby decided to go that route multiple times. For the kind of Bond that Moore portrayed, there probably was no one better who could have carried out that kind of Bond, in those days, than Roger Moore.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    He does seem to be overly gushing right now, doesn't he? His latest comment is: "Daniel's a lean killer. I drank bubbly and had poofy woofy hair."

Though I think the comments have more to do with his new book launch for Bond on Bond than they do for simply endorsing Craig. It seems Moore still knows how to divert the attention back to him even though he's talking about someone else.
    Ellis wrote:
    In the final analysis, it was Cubby's decision to go the route they went in the 70s and 80s....not Roger Moore's. And Cubby decided to go that route multiple times.
    You never saw Moore oppose it. He supported the direction the films went, it is partially his fault.

• Dr_Metz wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    I am. Those 7 films could have went to someone who wouldn't have turned Bond into a series for kids ages 5 to 12.

Ridiculous assessment of the Moore years...there was more merchandise aimed at kids during the release of Connery's GF and TB than anything done in Moore's time. Moore's Bond films were quality, a mixture of humour and fantasy and dark, serious tension. Moore's films are the perfect Bond formula. All 7 of them :)
    Moore's Bond films were quality, a mixture of humour and fantasy and dark, serious tension. Moore's films are the perfect Bond formula. All 7 of them :)

A. The only that was "dark" in ways was FYEO.

B. Moore's films were not "the perfect Bond formula". FRWL, TB, DAF, TLD, and LTK have the perfect Bond formula. Only two of Moore's films, TMWTGG and TSWLM, comes close to having the perfect formula. But then again, TSWLM basically has the same template as YOLT, so I can't even really count it.
    Ridiculous assessment of the Moore years...there was more merchandise aimed at kids during the release of Connery's GF and TB
    That was when Bond was at it's peak of success, of course they're going to merchandise it for kids. Also, those two films could be enjoyed both by children and adults alike, unlike Moore's films, which were mainly targeted for kids.
    Moore's Bond films were quality.
    If you consider Tarzan yells and villains blowing up like a balloon and exploding "quality", yeah sure.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    In the final analysis, it was Cubby's decision to go the route they went in the 70s and 80s....not Roger Moore's. And Cubby decided to go that route multiple times.
    You never saw Moore oppose it. He supported the direction the films went, it is partially his fault.

Why should he have opposed it? He played it in the style he was comfortable at. Smart people in any occupation, not just in the acting profession, play to their strengths. As long as Cubby re-hired him and paid him, why should he have played it any other way?
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Ellis wrote:

Ridiculous assessment of the Moore years...there was more merchandise aimed at kids during the release of Connery's GF and TB than anything done in Moore's time. Moore's Bond films were quality, a mixture of humour and fantasy and dark, serious tension. Moore's films are the perfect Bond formula. All 7 of them :)

You are spot on.

"He does seem to be overly gushing right now, doesn't he? His latest comment is: "Daniel's a lean killer. I drank bubbly and had poofy woofy hair."

Yes, I saw that in the Daily Mail showbiz section. His comments are a tad weird, perhaps?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2223290/Roger-Moore-Daniel-Craigs-lean-killer-I-drank-bubbly-poofy-woofy-hair.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Roger Moore has always been known for his self-deprecating comments but there is limit to how far he should undermine his own performances and how much he should praise other Bond actors. There is a fine line between modesty and fawning and Mr Moore may have crossed that line. A bit of ego - even 'ego' done in a tongue-in-cheek way - may be more admirable than fawning over another Bond actor's contribution to the series.
  • Dr_Metz wrote:
    Moore's Bond films were quality, a mixture of humour and fantasy and dark, serious tension. Moore's films are the perfect Bond formula. All 7 of them :)
    The only that was "dark" in ways was FYEO.
    Ridiculous assessment of the Moore years...there was more merchandise aimed at kids during the release of Connery's GF and TB
    That was when Bond was at it's peak of success, of course they're going to merchandise it for kids. Also, those two films could be enjoyed both by children and adults alike, unlike Moore's films, which were mainly targeted for kids.
    Moore's Bond films were quality.
    If you consider Tarzan yells and villains blowing up like a balloon and exploding "quality", yeah sure.

Here we go...the ridiculous summing up of Octopussy (a 2 hour film) by 4 seconds of film...unbelievable
    Here we go...the ridiculous summing up of Octopussy (a 2 hour film) by 4 seconds of film...unbelievable
    OP is probably one of the more watchable films Moore did, actually. I mentioned it because it's just a good example of the cringeworthy moments that were sprinkled throughout Moore's tenure.

Sir Roger has been a staunch supporter of the Bond franchise since he stopped playing the role and has rightly been trumpeting Craig as he genuinely believes him to be the best Bond and he approves.
    Sir Roger has BEEN Bond so i think he is entitled to an opinon and he is a good ambassador for 007,unlike another former Bond i can think of.
    I think you could make a case that Moore is a little over-the-top with his praise for Craig. I think the one thing that people overlook is Moore's loyalty to Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. You know that Moore did say that he was "invited to a private screening of Skyfall". Did they invite Sean or Pierce or any other ex-Bond? I don't know. Maybe Roger is just being loyal to old friends. I don't know. But, I do know that loyalty is a trait that is in short supply these days and is refreshing.
    Moore:

"He’s the best actor, too. I used to think that Sean Connery was the most obvious choice, but Daniel is better than any of us, and I hope he will reign for many more Bond adventures.’

He could have added:

"Although I think Daniel is the best I think I was more handsome and charming."

Perhaps he would need to word that in a subtle way:

"Although I think Daniel is the best Bond some people felt my look was the closest to Ian Fleming's vision of James Bond and I tried to use charm and finesse rather than brawn to exploit any given Bond situation."

Something like that would be a way to assert his own contribution to the series and not make him come over so fawning (which may not be his intention but it comes over like that!). The guy played James Bond - he's entitled to some ego. Modesty is fine but only a few actors have played James Bond so a little ego isn't such a bad thing.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I just want to add something after seeing @Signed_By_RogerMoore's comment about Bond merchandising in the 70's. You must remember that the studios never considered selling toys to kids as a stream of steady income until after Star Wars. And that was only after 20th Century Fox let Lucas pass up an additional $500,000 directing fee in return for keeping licensing and merchandising rights for himself -- a decision that would cost the studio billions. This didn't happen over night and it wasn't until Empire that things really began to take-off. Today Star Wars is consistently among the top five licensed toy brands, bringing in retail sales of more than $3 billion in 2011 which was unthinkable back when Roger Moore was Bond. So basically, the Bond merchandise argument isn't a solid one when comparing it to the 60's Bondmania tie-ins which were also aimed at adults alike and were not the cash cow that Lucas turned Star Wars into.
  • I am a fan of Roger Moore not him as Bond, but as a gentleman,and as a supporter of all things Bond. He was picked by Cubby and henceis loyal to the franchise, and Cubby's family. Hence, he is promoting the film, and there is no meaning to harping back and say for example "Connery is the best Bond" when Craig is the current Bond and hence it makes sense to promote the film that way. I liked him more as the Saint.
    fanbond123 wrote:
    Let me just say - I am huge Moore Bond fan but I don't get why he needs to keep praising Craig and his Bond films.

Moore has said:

"Daniel Craig is the "perfect Bond"

"Daniel Craig Is The Best James Bond Ever"

Roger Moore has loads of natural screen charisma. I would argue way more than Craig has.

Moore was outrageously good looking (back in the day) and a natural fit for Bond's look (if we believe Bond looks like a film star.) Who knows, perhaps he doesn't but let's pretend he does. :P

Moore was great with one liners.

Moore could act tough - "what a helpful chap!" - " I believe you left this with Ferrara" - "ow, your hurting my arm!"

Moore's Bond films had huge action, over-the-top villains.

Also, why does Moore never praise Dalton or Brosnan or Lazenby? Has he seen their Bond films? This is not meant to have a go at Roger Moore - he can say what he likes - I just feel he's like Eon's unofficial spokesman for Daniel Craig. :-? Weird.

Why do you care?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sir Roger is free to say whatever he wants. He has defended other Bonds before and has stood by Craig since the he was announced as Bond. He doesn't always speak good of Craig's tenure though, he thought QoS was too violent for example. If he praises SF so much I think it's because he genuinely liked it.
    Sandy wrote:
    Sir Roger is free to say whatever he wants. He has defended other Bonds before and has stood by Craig since the he was announced as Bond. He doesn't always speak good of Craig's tenure though, he thought QoS was too violent for example. If he praises SF so much I think it's because he genuinely liked it.

Yes and LOL at those, who can't stand their idol speaking good of someone, they might not like. Shit happens...;)
This discussion has been closed.