The MLB Thread

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Jays have been threatening to bounce back, for 20 years. It's getting tiresome, but at least the organization made an effort to be serious competitive this season. The veteran rotation may yet workout.
    Travis D'Arnaud was Jays top rated minor-league prospect. I think he's battling injuries now with the Mutts. The guy keeps getting traded for older Cy Young winning pitchers. Jays got him from the Phils in the Roy Halladay deal and then moved him to the Mutts to get R.A.Dickey.
    As for Buehrle, he at least manages to take the mound every 5 days. He's a horse.
    You just got to feel bad for Jays fans. So much hope. But maybe next year they will all come together as I don't think they'll pull a Miami and trade everyone away.

White Sox have now lost 7 in a row. Somebody put me out of my misery.

All Star leads came out, no big surprises there
    Sox are in the Tigers/Indians division. Not your year, this year. Royals I thought started well but seemed to have tapered off.
    I love how the Yankees manage to win no matter what their situation.
    I think the Jays are going through a little growing pain burp. Expectations were way too high at beginning of the season. All that veteran talent infusion I think put way too much pressure on a team that really wasn't a team yet.
    Now that the bubble has burst, I think we will see roles getting better defined, and players starting to compete a little harder and smarter. Afterall, there is nothing to be cocky about right now. Players now have something to prove. At the beginning of the season, it seemed all anyone thought they had to do was show-up.
    Challenge now is to get the rotation stabilized. I do like the rest of the line-up.

Anyone want Ricky Romero? This is one of the worst crash-and-burn stories ever. He's gone from quasi-ace to bum, to a guy that can't even pitch at AAA. His numbers are unbelievably brutal; like 20 BBs to 3 K's at AAA, plus a pile of hits. He's afraid to put anything over the plate. Poor guy.
  • @Timmer I think you've got it right. You can spend a ton of money but if they are "me" guys to begin with it'll take some time to gel, if they do at all. For your sake as a Jays fan I hope it works out. That's one mega tough division to try and come back in, you don't even have Baltimore to beat up on any more.

No thanks to Romero, we have our own head case with Zambrano pitching in our minors :(

Ah Zambrano. How the mighty have fallen.
    Josh Johnson comes back tonight and pitches with authority for 7 innings, with lots of K's, no walks, but Jays still manage to lose 2-1 to Tim Lincecum and the Giants. :-S
    Naturally a fielding error set up the go-ahead two-run homer.
    Unbelievable. I think last place is a lock. The rest of the division is all over 500, while the Jays scrape with the Mariners and Astros for last overall.
    Bumping this thread seeing as a new season is underway. My White Sox are currently 3-4 and while they'll be much better this year (thank you Chris Sale), I'm not expecting much.

Anyone else expecting anything from their team?
  • Sox fan here too, though of the Red variety. After last season I'm happy to just bask in the glow of being the World Champs. :)
    Sox fan here too, though of the Red variety. After last season I'm happy to just bask in the glow of being the World Champs. :)

Ah congrats my friend. That was a great series last year. I believe our teams play each ether in Chicago very soon. I may try to get to one of those
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I shamefully admit I'm an Arizona Diamondbacks fan.

At least they got to go to Australia.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 3,564
    I've been a fan of the San Francisco Giants since the halcyon days of Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda & Juan Marichal. It's great to see the Giants charge out to an early lead this year, especially when they can do so in part by taking 2-games-out-of-3 in a series against that embodiment of all evil on the baseball diamond, the Los Angeles Dodgers.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Ha, I'm a Dodgers fan @Beatles. The Giants look good so far this year. It's going to be a very interesting race in the NL West.
    Kerim wrote:
    I shamefully admit I'm an Arizona Diamondbacks fan.

At least they got to go to Australia.

I have to admit. I felt like the White Sox stole Adam Eaton and Matt Davidson from the D-Backs. Although Addison Reed is a great closer, exciting to watch. Enjoy him.

My father is from LA so I'm a supporter of the Dodgers as well
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 3,564
    One of the great things about being a fan of either the Giants or the Dodgers is the ability to participate in the continuance of a legendary sports rivalry! The Giants/Dodgers rivalry has its roots in the 19th century and on the other side on the continent, and should be continuing when each of us is watching from those Great Bleachers in the Sky. Good luck to us all and I'll hoist one to you both while watching the next game, @pachazo and @bondbat007!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    As someone who was born, raised, and lives in Anaheim, being an Angel fan comes naturally. Furthermore, being an Angel fan, I am used to disappointment.
    As someone who was born, raised, and lives in Anaheim, being an Angel fan comes naturally. Furthermore, being an Angel fan, I am used to disappointment.

Well at least Albert has seemed to get back to form. And of course you have Trout. Enough said
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622

angels are sure having a good time here, beating up on the blue jays...groan.
    Well the postseason has started and I'm currently watching the (very intense) AL wild card game. My money is on the Dodgers winning it all this year. Any other thoughts?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    That was a crazy good game. So long ChOakland!
    JamesPage wrote: »
    That was a crazy good game. So long ChOakland!

What an incredible game. Rivals 2011 game 6 of the World Series. Can't believe how far Oakland fell. Although as a White Sox fan, I was hoping Adam Dunn would make his postseason debut.

But it's hard not to be excited for Kansas City. 29 years of drought!

• edited October 2014 Posts: 2,189
    As a baseball fan, I'm happy for Kansas City, but as a Patriots fan, after Monday night I can't say I'm a fan of KC teams. Most of all though, as a Red Sox fan I'm really glad that Oakland lost this one game playoff because now we have a better chance of getting Lester to come back to Boston. If they had won big with Lester, Oakland or some other team would have payed him big bucks. Now he can come back to Boston, where he wanted to stay all along.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I've been in that stadium many times when the Yankees were in town. The Yankee fans would regularly outnumber the Angels fans. Maybe it's changed, it's been well over a decade since I went to a game there, but that used to be how it went.

Still that way. There's always a huge number of Yankee fans in attendance.
    As for that game last night, THAT is playoff baseball! The Royals did an excellent job manufacturing runs. Lead off batter gets on, bunt him over or steal a couple bags, and then knock him in. I'm glad Kansas City won, mainly because I'd rather the Angels play the Royals :P

Anyway, I'll be at Angel Stadium Thursday night watching game 1!
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five

Wow have a GREAT time! I'm not the biggest Angels fan so I'll be rooting on KC but wow that'll be a great game to watch.

Also very interested to see tonights WC game. Although I doubt it can match up to last nights
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Great game Tuesday night. Tuned it in, in the 6th at 7-3 and caught the comeback
    Royals have to be the sentimental favourites to go all the way now.
    I still like the Tigers for the championship though
    Scherzer followed by Verlander followed by Price.
    angels-fan.gif?w=512&h=288
    angels-fan.gif?w=512&h=288

What a poor loser and not very angelic somebody should take his shirt away. :D
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    So much for my Tigers prediction.

Looking forward to Royals v Orioles
    I'll take O's in 6 games.
    If the Royals win the first game, I think they have the series. Too much momentum. But I'm honestly fine with KC or the O's winning it all. Especially since I'm really not a fan of SF or St. Louis. But wow, this should be an amazing series to watch.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    My twins are doing well but I wish we would have did more to fix the bullpen.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    My twins are doing well but I wish we would have did more to fix the bullpen.

Seems to be a lot of teams problems. As a White Sox fan, I'm all good for you guys not solving your bullpen issues ;)