Future Directors - tentative - Danny Boyle then Mendes

2»

Comments

• The most important thing about Boyle doing Bond right is whether or not he is a fan of it. If he is, like Mendes clearly is, then it stands a much better chance of coming out well. Boyle is a wonderful filmmaker in my opinion. But to do Bond justice, you have to "get" Bond first. Something I think Marc Forster and Lee Tamahori didn't do.
  • I don't think he would've included Bond in the opening ceremony if he wasn't at least a bit of a fan.
  • I don't think he would've included Bond in the opening ceremony if he wasn't at least a bit of a fan.

Good point. That's a refreshing thought.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 553
    Are the constant Sean Connery Bond impressions by Johnny Lee Miller in Trainspotting something that was just for the film, or was it something from the book?
    Just to remind those that when Boyle was asked about directing Bond 23 this is what was reported. A spokesperson for Boyle told WENN: ‘While Danny says he always has and always will enjoy the Bond movies he has no plans to direct one. Danny is naturally flattered to be thought of!’

I think its logical that Boyle is on Eon's list but I'm not so sure he will be directing one. I'm not even convinced Mendes will return as he seems to think he's given everything to Skyfall. Maybe after a long break away from the series he might reconsider but I suppose that depends on the script that's in development right now and when early production needs to begin. Maybe Tom Hooper or Joe Wright might also be in the frame?

Of course, Boyle might have had a change of heart since Skyfall.
    Would be interesting to see what AR Rahman would make of a Bond score.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2012 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:
    Joe Cornish (in the future - better than Edgar Wright IMO)

He did Attack The Block, right? He could be a good choice once he's more experienced, but for now Wright is a better choice imo.

He did. The reason I think Cornish would be better is this. They are both massive film fans and would both understand what's expected of a Bond picture. However, with Wright I think he's a pseudo-homage/parody/pastiche kind of Director. A lot of his films do this clever thing of looking like they're genre films when in fact they are too self-referential and are never entirely an original vision, rather feeding too heavily from their so called influences.

As for Cornish he's yet to get really going but his choice of Snow Crash for his next feature is really interesting. He seems like a really smart guy and I think he'd know and avoid the pitfalls of making Bond derivative, something I feel Wright would conversely revel in.

@Getafix yeah that would be interesting.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    robboadam wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Despite the fact I'm a huge Nolan fan, was there long before Batman

I touted Fassbender for Bond years before many knew who he was (another one I was aware about long before X-men just like Craig before Bond )

Ha ha, are you one of those people who listens to bands no one else has heard of?

I listen to many bands some you've heard some you might not have, I have music retail background and have been exposed to many different genres.

Oh god. Please! We're not worthy! :D

Worthy?
  • Linked to Nolan and possibly in the wrong section but i'll ask anyway.

Could The Joker (Heath Ledger's version) have been a credible Bond villain? Change nothing, he still wears make up and that?
    While it appears Bardem has taken beats from Ledger's performance for Silva I would say no as the character the Joker he is in TDK I don't think you could put him in a Bond film not without some adjustments, I think the make up would have to go but maybe then but why would Bond go after someone just committing acts for no reason at all except to cause chaos? doesn't really fit into the Bond universe.
  • Shardlake wrote:
    While it appears Bardem has taken beats from Ledger's performance for Silva I would say no as the character the Joker he is in TDK I don't think you could put him in a Bond film not without some adjustments, I think the make up would have to go but maybe then but why would Bond go after someone just committing acts for no reason at all except to cause chaos? doesn't really fit into the Bond universe.

True...The Joker wouldn't interest Her Majesty's Secret Service as such for what he did in the Dark Knight.
  • bondsum wrote:
    Just to remind those that when Boyle was asked about directing Bond 23 this is what was reported. A spokesperson for Boyle told WENN: ‘While Danny says he always has and always will enjoy the Bond movies he has no plans to direct one. Danny is naturally flattered to be thought of!’

I think its logical that Boyle is on Eon's list but I'm not so sure he will be directing one. I'm not even convinced Mendes will return as he seems to think he's given everything to Skyfall. Maybe after a long break away from the series he might reconsider but I suppose that depends on the script that's in development right now and when early production needs to begin. Maybe Tom Hooper or Joe Wright might also be in the frame?

Of course, Boyle might have had a change of heart since Skyfall.

I've seen a few Boyle movies such as Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and The Beach, and I just don't think he's a candidate for a future Bond project. Just don't think it would be a suitable or appropriate name to consider with the James Bond franchise. I think some people crave an action or drama story that maybe Boyle could deliver, but that's not all what Bond is about. He's a well established director and has done some good work, but not a name I would like to see undertake a Bond movie
    What is interesting is that at the end of this film the word is everything has come full circle and what those who've seen it have implied is we are all set to start where we began.

Does anyone really think we'll get Craig in a more OTT adventure? I know by his own admission he said he wanted the humour back but he couldn't just go in with it he needed to earn the traits but I'm not sure we are going to get YOLT or SWLM. They re-invented this character because those films had been ridiculed by the Austin Powers I really don't think we are going to get their equivalent from Craig.

Depending on the tone and the direction they are planning on taking will have a big say in which directors get the nod, maybe Mendes might not like what this has set up and was more concerned making this film because it presented something of a challenge to him but a straight up Bond film?

• I think Craig needs to make a film like TSWLM to be in consideration as the best Bond ever.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Astonishing how people simply ignore a link to the proper thread and continue in this duplicate one.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1468/what-directors-would-you-like-to-see-helm-a-bond-film-or-more/p6#Item_162

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.