Should there be the re-introducement of the secondary/outro Bond theme to the franchise????

edited October 2012 in Music Posts: 188
I'm thinking cases where there was the main theme - and then a Bond film had a secondary theme or outro song e.g. We Have All the Time in the World, Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang etc
Should there be two essential tracks to a Bond film i.e. the theme and the outro theme/credits theme.
What's fun about having these two seperate themes as well is that the main theme is like a bespoke tailor made song for the specific Bond film - whereas the credits theme could be an existing song but rerecorded specifically for Bond.

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i've always wondered why they stopped as well.... if not a secondary theme, then reusing the title theme during the closing credits also.... call me crazy, but i've grown numb to hearing the Bond theme over the closing credits of the last 4 Bond movies - it's gotten quite old, and in Arnold's case - 'cliche' ..... i would welcome back a secondary theme, or reusing the title theme over the credits in an instant..
    I would seriously love to hear the 007 theme return again at somepoint?
  • RogueAgent wrote:

I agree. It would be most welcome to have it back, either in it's original form (though I doubt it), or a more modern variant.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I agree. It would be most welcome to have it back, either in it's original form (though I doubt it), or a more modern variant.

Guessing it would have to be a modern take on it? Always liked the idea of a montage when Bond and M drive to Scotland!
  • I was just thinking this. I think part of the reason 'The Living Daylights' was (in my opinion) one of the best Bond soundtracks was because of tracks like 'Necros Attacks' and 'Hercules Takes Off' which quotes from the lead theme song 'The Living Daylights' by A-Ha and 'Where Has Everybody Gone?' by The Pretenders.

If I'm correct the last time a Bond soundtrack had an outro theme was in 'The World Is Not Enough' where 'Only Myself To Blame' was quoted quite often in the score itself...

I miss it, I'd like to see that back!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    If I'm correct the last time a Bond soundtrack had an outro theme was in 'The World Is Not Enough' where 'Only Myself To Blame' was quoted quite often in the score itself...

Tomorrow Never Dies actually with 'Surrender' by KD Lang.... The World Is Not Enough was the start of Arnold's trend of using the Bond theme over the closing credits... though i believe towards the end of the credits of Die Another Day, a remix of Madonna's theme plays (though i dont count that lol).

• Ah, right you are... - I think I remember vaguely that 'Only Myself To Blame' was on the TWINE OST but doesn't actually play in the credits of the actual film, so 'Surrender' on TND was the last one with an actual outro theme...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,896
    Should there be the re-introducement of the secondary/outro Bond theme to the franchise????

Definitely. It was a popular thing to do during Brosnan's tenure. GE had a second theme for the end credits, as did TND, and DAD used a remix- which was a different approach, but it fits the film. For me, TND's Surrender was more memorable than the TS, partly because of it's lietmotif role, but mainly because it's the last thing you hear before you get up out your seat. Also, I feel a secondary theme adds more quality (for lack of a better word), plus we get a longer OST and main theme compilation. ;)

For the end credits, I wouldn't mind several songs, blending one into the next like the DN title sequence. This is how I would do it:

We get the main title theme (ie: Tomorrow Never Dies)
    As the end credits roll, the Bond theme plays first, then blends into a second theme (ie: Surrender)
    This second theme then blends into a third and final theme which is heard briefly during the film through a speaker (ie: TLD's Where Has Everybody Gone?)

As for the 007 theme- well we can see why it would be difficult to incorporate these days, but in the right scenario, I feel it could work.