The secret Bond girl: Unknown artist dubbed the voices of 007's best-known beauties - but know she's

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    JamesPage wrote:
    There are two sides to every story. This is just one.

I think we'd all like to know what you know JamesPage.

You imply here (and in your 'bitter' comment in the thread you just closed suspiciously quickly) that Nikki is at fault and trying in some way to cash in on her fleeting fame whereas it seems to those of us reading the article and her letter to Rog that not only has she been treated shabbily but there also dark forces working against her for some unfathomable reason.

You can't really toss in comments like that without backing them up in some way.

My position is that Nikki contributed to EONs success by allowing them to get away with hiring cheap unknowns rather than actresses who could actually speak English so is worthy of recognition. The dubbing and revoicing in the early Bond films is particularly impressive and it seems a shame that some people appear to want to airbrush Nikki and the sound editors who worked with her out of history. It may be an unglamourous part of filmmaking but without it GF would have been an absolute farce and we probably wouldn't have made it to 50 years.

Unless someone can tell me shes a total bitch who is just drumming up publicity for her book then I say justice for Nikki!

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    @TheWizardOfIce the others involved in this saga have too much class to start tittle-tattling to the Daily Mail and the likes. Publisher dropped the book also. Read between the lines...
  • A pity that Sir Roger didn't contact Nikki van der Zyl personally and tell her the reason that he wasn't allowing his forward to be used.

She did important work for the Bond films.

One or two individuals seem to resent that she is naming whom she dubbed. She is having a book published, but it's hardly the first book to be published this year written by someone connected to the Bond films, is it?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    JamesPage wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce the others involved in this saga have too much class to start tittle-tattling to the Daily Mail and the likes. Publisher dropped the book also. Read between the lines...
    Quite right James well said.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 824
    Why isn't this thread going to the top of the list after someone posts?.
    JamesPage wrote:

It does seem odd that such an affable chap as Rog would pull his foreword and as you say the whole publishing thing seems a bit dodgy. So what exactly has she done wrong then?

She can hardly be doing a Monty Norman and claiming she alone is responsible for the success surely and can she really have anything that controversial to say unless shes claiming she had Cubbys lovechild or something?!

I'm wondering if I should buy one of the limited edition copies of her book as it could well be a sought after collectable one day.

Come on dish the dirt!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Did someone tell the producers that the French dubbers made Moore's James Bond talk about vibrators in TMWGG, or answer Bibi in FYEO he would give her an ice-cream "with two balls" ?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 824
    It would seem that one or two egos have been bruised by the fact that news that their voice was unsuitable for a Bond film and had to be dubbed has become public.

In fact they should be thanking Nikki van der Zyl rather than having tantrums. I suspect they earned much more money than she did

Sad that this thread is frowned upon by the moderators here.

Sad that this thread is frowned upon by the moderators here.

Indeed.

She seems to me like a perfectly nice lady who put in a lot of work on the Bond series and who has been royally stitched up and is just trying to provide for herself in old age whilst 'golden girl' Shirley Eaton continues to cash in on her 5 mins of lying around in a bikini.

Of course I might have it totally about face (if certain barbed comments from others are anything to go by) but if its common knowledge how awful she is then why cant we be told instead of this rather sinister character assassination?
    bump
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    This definitely doesn't bump up to page 1. You are right @TheWizardOfIce.
    JamesPage wrote:

Publisher properly saw the cover art and dropped it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesPage wrote:
    There are ways of explaining what kind of problems Bond-organisers might have without naming and shaming. Personally, I find little of what Nikki says in her interview unkind. One might not agree with what she says, but you can say that as well. The deafening silence and requests to 'read between the lines' are only making it worse. Now it really seems there's a 'darker force' working. Of course there are two sides to a story. There always are. I think EON would do well to make a statement, even if it was in general terms, of what is going on.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Tin foil hats may be purchased in the gift shop on the way out.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesPage wrote:
    Tin foil hats may be purchased in the gift shop on the way out.
    And yet you close the other thread becouse people 'don't get it'. I wasn't quite aware this was site policy. If stupidity is a good reason to close threads, I'm afraid half the site would be shut down.
    I'll have one of those WWII tin hats, no foil, please. They're quite hard to come by. Or, if you have, an old colonial style one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bump
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    By the by what's happend to JamesPage never see him arround these days .
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's what he wants you to think...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,418
    JP is everywhere. He's everywhere! He's at a bar with your friends, he's having dinner with your kids, he's in bed with your lover!