"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

• What about Michael Buble? I really respect him as an artist and this song has a really strong Bond sound.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Madonna also had some great songs, but she screwed up the DAD theme song. That does not mean, that Lady Gaga would screw up as well, but like Madonna, she is, well, very self-centered as a singer.
    The problem with Madge was that EON signed away all their creative control to her. They really wanted her to do the title theme - it seems they had for years - but when they finally got her to do it, she insisted on doing it her way. Her people wrote and produced the song, and David Arnold wasn't involved - he didn't write, arrange or even produce it - until Madonna submitted the track. By that point, it was too late to do anything. The song was produced as something that would fit on the AMERICAN LIfE album first, and fit the film second. If EON had signed her during the CONFESSIONS ON A DANCEFLOOR or HARD CANDY era, it would have been fine. She just needed to get the crap of LIfE out of her system.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well I'm gonna nominate Adele. Having heard her sing, she has an incredible voice, and one I feel would be perfectly suited to a Bond ballad or theme tune.
    Simply wonderful voice this girl has.
  • Adele is the front runner Benny...she'll give the Bond theme a lot of class which has been lacking for 15 yrs.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    What about Goldfrapp? They say they would love to do it and they often produce a Bondian sound. Someone obviously has the same idea (although I wish the editing/choice of song was better) Still good, though:

• I'm not too convinced about Adele, I'm sure there is somebody else we're not thinking of who could do this.
    What about Goldfrapp?
    That would be amazing! I first heard about Goldfrapp back in 2006 when they were rumored for CR. I am a fan ever since!

• edited July 2011 Posts: 2,782
    I'm not too convinced about Adele, I'm sure there is somebody else we're not thinking of who could do this.
    Not convinced 'you mussh be joking':

• Okay, she sounds a lot better in that performance than her studio work. But you have to admit that Michael Buble would be a great choice as well.

• I do like Goldfrapp and had heard them mentioned for Bond a few times. My concern now would be that they sound very 90's and that their time is past. Would have been great for a Brosnan film but I haven't heard any new songs - any suggestions?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Adele would work. Buble would be like that awful lounge lizard track on The World Is Not Enough album.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I was never really a fan of the idea of Winehouse doing it...or Duffy...or Adele...it seems that it has more to do with the lazy shorthand of finding a modern singer who sounds "1960s-ish". There's been such a wide variety in the styles of title songs over the years that a slavish devotion to any one style - or trying to recapture the "glory years" sound - isn't needed. Think of how different the title songs are to GF, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, TLD, CR...
    Man's got a point. It may well be foolish to think anything but a rock song will be used during Craig's era - especially after I read/ heard the other day that during CR's production Dan and Arnold discussed what sort of sound the title track should have in relation to his version of 007 and settled on a definite rock sound.

On the other hand, it may be foolish to think a Bond theme during Craig's tenure will only ever be a rock song. The cinematic 007's all about the variety, after all... ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm not too convinced about Adele, I'm sure there is somebody else we're not thinking of who could do this.

I agree. Nothing wrong with her voice but dont you think she is a bit on the 'bubbly personality' side for the Bond image?

How about Florence Welch? Got a cracking set of lungs on her in both senses. Reckon she could handle a real belter in the classic vein a la GF - providing Arnold can come up with it.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    What about Michael Buble? I really respect him as an artist and this song has a really strong Bond sound.
    that's because it was written by the same people who wrote "Goldfinger" at around the same time

nothing to do with Bubble

If you see the bond films as a musical pinnacle and a sorta accolade kylie minogue would be a good choice considering what she's been through.
    If you can't hum it and remember the tune, it makes no difference who does it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Okay, she sounds a lot better in that performance than her studio work. But you have to admit that Michael Buble would be a great choice as well.

I completely agree with you. I love Michael's style and he sings both 'Cry Me a River' and 'Feeling Good' magnificently. I have always wondered why "Feeling Good' was never a Bond theme. It's one of those old songs you always hear about, but It is powerful and could tred well as a Bond tune. We'll have to see.

Soundgarden... now that they're back. Another raspy song sung by Mr. Cornell. Chris Cornell.

But it would really be great to hear something other than rock this time around.
    Soundgarden... now that they're back. Another raspy song sung by Mr. Cornell. Chris Cornell.

But it would really be great to hear something other than rock this time around.
    50/50

Firstly I LOVE "you know my name"

but its to soon after CR :(

• edited August 2011 Posts: 2,782

only one choice crackers.
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    Is it time for Rhianna (Bahama Girl) .
    Her voice-box ? and the Red Hair \m/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Time for a Canada-flavored Bond film...

Kidding... :-))
    Adele. Smooth, powerful voice. Reminds me of the character of Shirley Bassey's voice. They want a classic Bond movie, use a singer with a classice voice. Adele
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Adele. Smooth, powerful voice. Reminds me of the character of Shirley Bassey's voice. They want a classic Bond movie, use a singer with a classice voice. Adele
    Bond doesn't need Adele because Adele doesn't need Bond. She's doing fine on her own.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

only one choice crackers.
    Nah, that would be crackers... ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    OK, I'll be shot for this but how about Christina Perri? Only two singles so far - the best and first, Jar of Hearts, yes awful title, is below - but if EON wanted to make her really big, why not a Bond song? It helps she hasn't done a lot either, so she may truely be on their rader. Plus I really want to see what she, Arnold and even Don Black could do together for Bond theme. We may even get something akin to Surrender, which would be brilliant.

Watching Strike Back the other night, I enjoyed the song used for the titles. The band are The Heavy, this song is very good and I think they could knock out a good Bond theme...
    This might be a bit of a strange one, but I'm going to suggest the Red Hot Chili Peppers - or maybe just Anthony Kiedis. And this is why:

It's Brendan's Death Song from their new album I'm With You. It's probably the first song I've heard from them that channels the same power as Under the Bridge. The chorus in particular gets me every time - "Like I said, you know I'm almost dead; you know I'm almost gone".

I think they're an act that would absolutely need the right song to be effective, but if that song was something like this, I think it would be fantastic.
    Well I'm gonna nominate Adele. Having heard her sing, she has an incredible voice, and one I feel would be perfectly suited to a Bond ballad or theme tune.
    Simply wonderful voice this girl has.
    A lot of people think Adele is well-suited to a Bond them. I, for one, certainly approve. Dozens (if not hundreds) of fans want a song in the style of Shirley Bassey, but I think Adele could actually pull it off without sounding too much like a Bassey pastiche. That's important to me - Bassey is a big part of Bond music history, and if a song is going to sound like hers, she deserves more than simply having someone ape her style. Adele, I think, can do just that. Heck, I wouldn't mind it if Rolling in the Deep was BOND 23's theme.
  • Robert Plant should do it! the old guy can still do some pretty amazing things with his voice!!!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Absolutely not to Lady Gaga, or any punk/hip hop singer from this generation. We need an old school rock band to perform the next tune, hopefully RUSH or U2...a band that is really great.
This discussion has been closed.