The Sweeney

edited September 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
Discussion about the TV series, the first two films and the new one.

I'm a big fan of the original TV series and films, I wasn't around in the 70s but growing up I watched the repeats all the time. The new one was a good film, but not a very good Sweeney film. Winstone nailed it though, he'd make John Thaw proud.

Comments

• bump
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The trailer for this got me really excited for the film and sparked interest in the television series. I'll have to check them all out sometime. I've been a huge fan of Winstone's since his performance in 'Edge of Darkness,' and have been seeing films of his ever since. This will surely be one of them.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The film looks utter junk, the series was classic why couldn't they have made a period big screen version with a decent cast, Winstone is just a caricature these days and is no Jack Reagan, this looks one abortion of a film and it's directed by Nick Love. nuff said!
  • Shardlake wrote:
    The film looks utter junk, the series was classic why couldn't they have made a period big screen version with a decent cast, Winstone is just a caricature these days and is no Jack Reagan, this looks one abortion of a film and it's directed by Nick Love. nuff said!

I think it should've been set in the 70s and they should've kept it more faithful but Winstone was great as Regan. It wasn't a bad film, it was a decent action cop film, it's just a bad Sweeney film.
    Would still love to see Ray Winstone as a Bond heavy
    Not really sure about the movie? As for the original tv series? Brilliant!
  • @RogueAgent If you're a big fan of the original series, if you do see the film, try not to compare them in your head. It's a decent film but it's not really faithful.

Well it's topped the UK box office and it's not doing badly critically.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sweeney/

I'd like a sequel(s?), so they can try and get it right. They wouldn't be able to set it in the 70s now but they could try and make more faithful.
    @RogueAgent If you're a big fan of the original series, if you do see the film, try not to compare them in your head. It's a decent film but it's not really faithful.

Well it's topped the UK box office and it's not doing badly critically.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sweeney/

I'd like a sequel(s?), so they can try and get it right. They wouldn't be able to set it in the 70s now but they could try and make more faithful.

Ok, will keep that in mind. I do like Ray Winstone so that'll help! :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Saw the movie yesterday, really enjoyed it. There was this awesome badass quote from Winstone in the movie and I've been racking my brain trying to remember it. Damn!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote:

I think it should've been set in the 70s and they should've kept it more faithful but Winstone was great as Regan. It wasn't a bad film, it was a decent action cop film, it's just a bad Sweeney film.

Having seen the trailer and seen John Thaw in the role many times all I saw in Ray Winstone was him playing himself, the guy is a joke and a caricature, they could have picked a much more capable guy for the role than him.

Just like War of The Worlds another missed opportunity to make a period version of the story, everything must be bought up to date to appeal to a mass audience.

It's another case of The Sweeney only in name, I bet Thaw is spinning in his grave.
    I don't mean to bump this, but never having seen the television show, other films, and since I'm from the States, I watched the new 'The Sweeney' film last night with nothing to go off of, and I loved it. Really entertaining movie, Winstone and the supporting cast did a phenomenal job, nice little twists throughout the movie, it was overall a great movie.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't mean to bump this, but never having seen the television show, other films, and since I'm from the States, I watched the new 'The Sweeney' film last night with nothing to go off of, and I loved it. Really entertaining movie, Winstone and the supporting cast did a phenomenal job, nice little twists throughout the movie, it was overall a great movie.

The original series starred John Thaw and Dennis Waterman! It was as i understand it heavily criticised when shown here for being too violent....etc. A great show if you ever manage to see the odd episode?

Not seen the new movie myself but i heard and read mixed reviews about it? Good to hear your thoughts on it though. May rent out a copy and give it a go!
    I say go for it, though I've heard some pretty harsh reviews on it from UK-based fans of the show, so it may disappoint you, if that's the case.
  • @RogueAgent I'd say renting would be the way to go. It's an enjoyable film (as long as you don't compare it to the show), but I'm not sure if it's worth owning.
    @RogueAgent I'd say renting would be the way to go. It's an enjoyable film (as long as you don't compare it to the show), but I'm not sure if it's worth owning.

I've had a slight hankering to watch it again. I may pick it up if the price is right. I'm prepping price trackers and deals lists for Black Friday, so if I find a good price, I'll get it.
    Thanks fo the advice guys, will let you know what i think once i have given it a viewing?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Thanks fo the advice guys, will let you know what i think once i have given it a viewing?

You're welcome, and that sounds good. I look forward to your thoughts on the film!