Roger Moore Should Never Have Been Bond!

Comments

• My River is so calm today I'm in danger of stagnation.....
    Roger Moore was an awesome Bond better than Brosnan, i thought Brosnan should never have been Bond
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 7,571
    Quoting chuck007:
    Roger Moore was an awesome Bond better than Brosnan, i
    thought Brosnan should never have been Bond

Are you another one who wanted Dalton to stay on @chuck007?
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting chuck007:
    Roger shagged Pierce's first wife in FYEO - shame she then gets killed.

It seemed fitting that the husband of a former Bond girl gets to play the part :-D
    Roger Moore should never have been Bond ? ......yes ,he should.
    Quoting NicNac: Quoting chuck007:

Are you another one who wanted Dalton to stay on @chuck007?
    Yes, i wanted Dalton to stay 3 more films...
    Quoting NicNac: I think the two most argued and discussed 'what ifs' are 1) what if Lazenby had stayed on and 2) what if Rog had left two films earlier.
    Don't forget the "what if Dalton had done GE" discussion
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:

Quoting MajorDSmythe: A Bond series without Moore, does such a
    nirvana exist?
    Yes - and the series would have ended
    not long after OHMSS.
    I'm affaid that's not a view I can agree with. Moore's contribution to the series isn't irreplaceable, imo.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting jaguar007: Don't forget the "what if Dalton had done GE" discussion
    Indeed, we would have had a great flick in GE ;)
    Quoting NicNac: I think the two most argued and discussed 'what ifs' are 1) what if Lazenby had
    stayed on and 2) what if Rog had left two films earlier.
    I will say this however, while a Lazenby return in Diamonds are Forever would have been amazing for us fans, in all likelyhood I see it as killing the series. So for those who don't necessarily care for Moore, to his credit he did keep the series alive, and consider the fact that we got 6 more excellent John Barry scores, 2 great films from Timothy Dalton, GE, and a quality adaptation of CR. And that list could go on and on. Therefore, we must ultimately thank Sir Roger Moore for 'keeping the British end up' for all those years.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 1,092
    Quoting Samuel001: There's not a major ongoing franchise that's even equaled that is there? Or
    anyone who even played the same leading role seven times - bar Potter which is
    eight films.
    Two fellas played Charlie Chan many, many times back in the 30's and 40's. Warner Oland, Sidney Toler respectively. And Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes 14 times. Pretty impressive. But that was a long, long time ago. In the "modern" age, no one comes close to Moore, except Harry Potter as you've said but that is different. Bond is Bond. HP has a large cast of characters and not just one person carrying the whole film on their shoulders.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 7
    Quoting MajorDSmythe:
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:

Quoting MajorDSmythe: A Bond series without Moore, does such a

nirvana exist?

Yes - and the series would have ended

not long after OHMSS.

I'm affaid that's not a view I can agree with. Moore's contribution to the series isn't irreplaceable, imo.

Actually, I think it is.

I think Roger Moore, for better or worse, was absolutely the perfect Bond for his time. I really can't think of any known commodity at the time that would have done the job he did.

Like Luds said a few days ago, the name of the game was making audiences forget about Connery and updating Bond for the new generation of people. The 60s was about paranoia, and the Cold War, etc. The 70s was a different animal.

And Moore was a very different animal from Connery.

So while we'll never know if someone would have succeeded as Bond, I'd be willing to bet that not many would have taken Bond to the heights that Moore did at his peak. He made Bond cool again.
    Moore made Bond relevant in the '70s. He should have left after FYEO, but nonetheless his contribution to the series is very important and sadly underappreciated.
    Love him or hate him as Bond, this

will always prove that Sir Rog himself is awesome :-D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Quoting SportzStooge007: Actually, I think it is.

I think Roger Moore, for better or worse, was
    absolutely the perfect Bond for his time. I really can't think of any known
    commodity at the time that would have done the job he did.

Like Luds
    said a few days ago, the name of the game was making audiences forget about
    Connery and updating Bond for the new generation of people. The 60s was about
    paranoia, and the Cold War, etc. The 70s was a different animal.

And
    Moore was a very different animal from Connery.

So while we'll never
    know if someone would have succeeded as Bond, I'd be willing to bet that not
    many would have taken Bond to the heights that Moore did at his peak. He made
    Bond cool again.
    Well... actually, I think it's a matter of opinion. It's no secret that I detest the Boore era of Bond, and if it meant escaping the digity robbing hijinks of said era, than i'd happily would have gone without any Bond films from 1973 to 1985.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What would have been great is that North Sea Hijack became a bigger hit, and spark a Ffolkes franchise !! Really, Moore is awesome in that film.
    To me Moore was quintessentially Simon Templar, the Saint.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:
    What would have been great is that North Sea Hijack
    became a bigger hit, and spark a Ffolkes franchise !! Really, Moore is awesome
    in that film.
    I'd have loved if Moore had left Bond sooner and then, as you say, made a series out of that film. It was a shame that Moore did North Sea Hijack, in order to shake the Bond character, in the middle of his tenure as Bond!

Moore's actually gone on record as saying he enjoyed making that film far more than any of his Bond films.
  • I found out about the persuaders a few days ago thanks to these forums! I just watched the first episode and I really loved it!

Moore is really a great actor!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Moore is really a great actor!
    Obviously obvious... :-bd
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I don't think Moore is a "great" actor but he's certainly a good one.
    I don't think Moore is a "great" actor but he's certainly a good one.
    Yes he is a great actor... And a much greater human being than the other 5 Bonds and most of the actors on this earth !!

He is a great human being. There is no doubt about that :) :)
  • SharkShark Banned
    That statement is interesting, I don´t see where Moore´s Bond is supposed to be different from Connery´s DAF Bond ;-) . In fact I never felt such a great difference between early Connery and all of Moore. I mean the performance, not the films.
    It's a fairly dramatic difference. Connery always had a kind of streetwise charisma. He played jokes on the villains like a schoolboy prankster, and moved as a panther in a dinner jacket.

Moore was the opposite. A physically stiff, debonair, born and bred aristocrat.
    What would have been great is that North Sea Hijack became a bigger hit, and spark a Ffolkes franchise !! Really, Moore is awesome in that film.
    Now this I like! Great to hear from another NSH fan!
    There is no argument in my book, Moore was the right Bond for the right time. End of.
    Anyway.....North Sea Hijack..............

\m/
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Moore was well loved by audiences and that helped the series a lot. Was he the best Bond? Probably not. But Moore had charisma. And he was put to good use. I find him charming. He makes for an entertaining Bond. Also, I thoroughly respect the actor behind the character.
    Seconded.

Liking 'Roger Moore as OO7' notwithstanding, you'd be hard pressed to find a good reason not to like Roger Moore 'the person'
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Moore was actually considered for the role of Bond back when Dr. No was still going through pre-production!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    That statement is interesting, I don´t see where Moore´s Bond is supposed to be different from Connery´s DAF Bond ;-) . In fact I never felt such a great difference between early Connery and all of Moore. I mean the performance, not the films.
    It's a fairly dramatic difference. Connery always had a kind of streetwise charisma. He played jokes on the villains like a schoolboy prankster, and moved as a panther in a dinner jacket.

Moore was the opposite. A physically stiff, debonair, born and bred aristocrat.
    Yes I like the phrase 'street-wise charisma'.

There's alot said about who is and who isn't a great actor. Yet there is acting and then there is acting.
    Acting 100 years ago was all theatrical complete with spinning eyeballs and grand gestures. Dalton comes from that tradition, and his style simply doesn't suit the minimalistic style required for great film acting. I doubt there would be another Bond actor I would prefer to see on the West End stage, but it's no coinsidence that Dalton hasn't had the film career many on here think he should have had. He's a leading man for the TV movie industry.

Connery however is a great film actor. Charisma is part of it. The rest can be seen simply by watching him very closely. Watch him when someone else is speaking. His movement, his expressions. It's a master class in screen acting.

Roger Moore isn't really one or the other. He had enough about him in the 70s to be a reasonably successful leading man. And also a huge, huge star on TV. He hasn't got enough in his locker though to be a great film actor, merely competant and likeable. It's near enough the same with Brozzer.

Craig is the first great film actor to play the role since Connery.

And Lazenby? Had he got the chance to forge a career after Bond, he would have made it I'm sure. But his reputation and prickly personality more or less ruined him. Glances of what he was capable of were there in OHMSS and later in Saint Jack. Maybe a missed opportunity. Only 'maybe' mind you.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think the two most argued and discussed 'what ifs' are 1) what if Lazenby had stayed on and 2) what if Rog had left two films earlier.

Sadly they will always remain points to speculate.
    If Sir Rog had left two films earlier, then what would my favourite Bond film have been?
    It would be a toss between FRWL, OHMSS and TLD.
    But it doesn't bear thinking about. A world without Sir Rog starring in Octopussy is a world not worth living in.
    Lazenby in another Bond is the ultimate missed opportunity in the history of the cinema.