Dr. No 50th Anniversary Soundtrack

gt007gt007 Station G
edited September 2012 in Music Posts: 1,179
The excellent spy music site Spy Bop Royale provides the heads-up that there's an unexpected treat coming this fall for fans of James Bond music!

The Harkit label (who have put out such spy essentials as Modesty Blaise and Fathom) will release a special 50th Anniversary Edition of the soundtrack to Dr. No in October.

dr_no_big.jpg

According to the intriguing copy in their newsletter (reprinted verbatim), "we have assembled what we believe is the DEFINITIVE edition of the music from the soundtrack of this genre-changing movie with many previously unreleased cues. Long a contentious issue of who actually wrote and/or scored the movie (John [Barry] finally revealed on British radio that it was he who wrote the famous guitar-led theme.) This album seeks to put many myths to bed. With a brand new essay by noted and respected film music writer, Randall Larson, we hope you will enjoy this outstanding release".

Sounds wonderful! And potentially controversial! But is it authorized by Danjaq? There is no official Bond logo anywhere on the cover (which looks a bit more Tomorrow Never Dies than Dr. No), adding to the mystery. But the CD is real. The catalog number is HRKCD 8395.
Source: double o section


Here's the track list from the Harkit Records website with a few samples:

01. Radio Frequency
02. Main Title – John Barry
03. James Returns Home – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
04. Three Blind Mice - Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
05. Shooting At Strangways – Burt Rhodes & Eric Ridgers
06. Jamaican Rock – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
07. Jump Up! – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
08. Audio Bongo – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
09. Under The Mango Tree – Diana Coupland
10. Twisting With James – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
11. Jamaican Jazz – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
12. Under The Mango Tree – Instrumental
13. Jamaica Jump Up! – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
14. Dr. No’s Fantasy – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
15. Tarantula – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
16. Three Blind Mice – Diana Coupland
17. The Island Speaks – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
18. Under The Mango Tree – Monty Norman
19. The Boy’s Chase – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
20. Dr. No’s Theme – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
21. Theme For James Bond – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
22. Dr. No Visits James Bond’s Bedroom – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
23. Love At Last – Burt Rhodes & Eric Rodgers
24. James Bond Theme – John Barry
«1

Comments

  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 5,559
    Brilliant. The cover is dodgy but the content looks fantastic.
  • It’s certainly unofficial, but would really like to know where they sourced the material from.
  • Posts: 3,001
    Great! At last!! =D>
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 15,993
    Can't wait to get this. I've been needing an expanded Dr. No score for a long time.

    I hope these guys also do one for
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Moonraker
    Octopussy
    and Licence to Kill.
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    Posts: 74
    grunther wrote:
    It’s certainly unofficial, but would really like to know where they sourced the material from.

    Probably the music and effects tracks- like the ones on the old Criterion laser disc.

  • Posts: 343
    I will get this.

    Shame we get no original artwork...
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 15,993
    I like the Artwork for it. It's simple and effective.
  • I REALLY need a release like this for Licence to Kill!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 18,197
    Murdock wrote:
    I like the Artwork for it. It's simple and effective.

    Same here. I'm actually finding myself attracted to its simplicity.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 15,993
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I like the Artwork for it. It's simple and effective.

    Same here. I'm actually finding myself attracted to its simplicity.

    Kinda reminds me of the TND PTS a little.

  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,251
    We can only hope this is the first of a few that are released. Great news. Thank you for this.
  • I purchased this today. Once its here (dispatched October) and I've had a chance to listen, I'll update everyone if its worth the cash.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2012 Posts: 3,409
    In 2008 this company release another score from John Barry - Follow Me on LP avaible at a offical Dutch online store http://www.bol.com/nl/p/follow-me-hq/1000004010207634/ But this Dr No one i can't find back yet. Mabey it not going to be released in my country (that it be bootleg if that be case can be a reasen) or later or as limited edition. In this last case this store make sometimes a exeption to release some half unoffical limited releases avaible like Speed 2 and Batman (for to much money).

    Soundtrackcollector credit the cd, there only credit offical releases http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/7052/Dr.+No#61535

    I think the cover is ugly, look to much of the gun from Die Another Day teaser. Iam only intrest in a full offcial release of LTK, Die Another Day volume 2 and CR 2 disc edition include Cornell and the missing tracks.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 154
    Goldenball wrote:
    grunther wrote:
    It’s certainly unofficial, but would really like to know where they sourced the material from.

    Probably the music and effects tracks- like the ones on the old Criterion laser disc.

    That is one logical explanation that I did think of but surely that is too low quality to be charging £12.99 for a CD.
    Plus the sound effects will ruin the cues. Surely this company is not known for releasing material that would be better of downloaded across file shares because its no more than a fan rip?
    I think somehow, somewhere they've came across an alternative source.
  • I just emailed the website

    "Concerning your 50th anniversary edition of Dr. No I was wondering how you managed to get the tracks for the soundtrack as a lot of them have never been released? Do the new tracks contain the music and effects or is this an official EON Productions product. It looks good anyway."

    and they emailed straight back saying

    "James, thanks for this.

    I don't have that information here, as the person you need to contact is away until the end of the month.

    From the test copy we've got here, it sounds like just music. I think the track listing is on our website at the moment.

    Best,
    Cinzia Rocca for Harkit Records"

  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,767
    dchantry wrote:
    I purchased this today. Once its here (dispatched October) and I've had a chance to listen, I'll update everyone if its worth the cash.
    Can´t wait to hear from you @dchantry.

    The James Bond Theme being all of a sudden written by John Barry alone sounds rather like a misplaced April fool´s joke though.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    edited September 2012 Posts: 15,993
    Well, did you see that most of the new tracks say made by Burt Rhodes & Eric Ridgers I believe this may be an as close as possible re-orchestration album.
  • Posts: 3,001
    I don't understand what you mean by the term re-orchestration, @Murdock? We know that Burt Rhodes was the original orchestrator for Dr No and Eric Rodgers was the conductor hence their names alongside the tracks, much like Nicholas Dodd's was both orchestrator and conductor on all David Arnold's Bond soundtracks. This CD sounds like it's the true soundtrack rather than that so-called official one which has tracks that don't even feature in the final picture.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    edited September 2012 Posts: 15,993
    bondsum wrote:
    I don't understand what you mean by the term re-orchestration, @Murdock? We know that Burt Rhodes was the original orchestrator for Dr No and Eric Rodgers was the conductor hence their names alongside the tracks, much like Nicholas Dodd's was both orchestrator and conductor on all David Arnold's Bond soundtracks. This CD sounds like it's the true soundtrack rather than that so-called official one which has tracks that don't even feature in the final picture.


    Oh nevermind. I didn't know. I Assumed it was a re-orchestration album (Which I wouldn't mind.) I didn't know about Burt Rhodes and Eric Ridgers. I didn't see Monty Norman so I assumed it was the music but redone as close as the originals as possible.

    and by re-orchestration I mean Rearrangement of the music.
  • Posts: 3,001
    Murdock wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    I don't understand what you mean by the term re-orchestration, @Murdock? We know that Burt Rhodes was the original orchestrator for Dr No and Eric Rodgers was the conductor hence their names alongside the tracks, much like Nicholas Dodd's was both orchestrator and conductor on all David Arnold's Bond soundtracks. This CD sounds like it's the true soundtrack rather than that so-called official one which has tracks that don't even feature in the final picture.
    Oh nevermind. I didn't know. I Assumed it was a re-orchestration album (Which I wouldn't mind.) I didn't know about Burt Rhodes and Eric Ridgers. I didn't see Monty Norman so I assumed it was the music but redone as close as the originals as possible.

    and by re-orchestration I mean Rearrangement of the music.
    I follow you now. You're right that Monty Norman composed the music but Eric Rodgers & Burt Rhodes were involved in shaping the final score for an orchestra. This is the real soundtrack that Bond purists have been waiting decades for.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 15,993
    bondsum wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    I don't understand what you mean by the term re-orchestration, @Murdock? We know that Burt Rhodes was the original orchestrator for Dr No and Eric Rodgers was the conductor hence their names alongside the tracks, much like Nicholas Dodd's was both orchestrator and conductor on all David Arnold's Bond soundtracks. This CD sounds like it's the true soundtrack rather than that so-called official one which has tracks that don't even feature in the final picture.
    Oh nevermind. I didn't know. I Assumed it was a re-orchestration album (Which I wouldn't mind.) I didn't know about Burt Rhodes and Eric Ridgers. I didn't see Monty Norman so I assumed it was the music but redone as close as the originals as possible.

    and by re-orchestration I mean Rearrangement of the music.
    I follow you now. You're right that Monty Norman composed the music but Eric Rodgers & Burt Rhodes were involved in shaping the final score for an orchestra. This is the real soundtrack that Bond purists have been waiting decades for.

    That's what I like to hear. I'm going to get this soundtrack as soon as I can.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 790
    This is tracks from the original EMI album + music and effects tracks from the laserdisc Harkit appear to believe that these recordngs are now over 50 years old (PUBLIC DOMAIN in Europe). The CD package appears not to use any copyrighted images or logos. The recordings are owned by EMI, but HARKIT can release this in Europe if they conform to the law on public domain.

  • JamesPageJamesPage Moderator, Director
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,380
    Just to be clear on this, it's not an official release. The Harkit label is relying on the EU's 50 year rule on public domain. Funny thing is, even if that held up legally, it becomes public domain the year *after* 50 years since release, so Harkit are breaking copyright by releasing this now. And that's before we even get started on the ripping the laser disc tracks which are not covered by the 50 years rule. Lawyers stand by.... This may disappear real soon.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 790
    In fact the Dr No LP wasn't released until 1963 which means Dr No will not be public domain until 1st January 2014. Clearly Harkit want to exploit the 50th anniversary but this may well not be released this year.
    The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

    Sound Recordings and broadcasts

    50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or, if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released.

    The Dr. No LP was recorded in 1962 but first released in 1963.


  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,767
    @PeterGreenhill, the titles conform with the EMI album, but not the samples.
    Doesn´t matter much legally, I guess, if the soundtrack is lifted off the Laser Disc.

    If I was sure it´s going to be released in October I guess I would order it. Just for the fun of having the weirdest Bond scores of them all... :-?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 343
  • JamesPageJamesPage Moderator, Director
    Posts: 1,380
    Even if it's public domain, I'm pretty sure the official rights holders would mount a challenge anyway.
  • Posts: 3,001
    I fear you're right, @JamesPage. I think this soundtrack will be withdrawn the minute it goes on sale. It might become a valuable collectors item?

    Also, why doesn't MGM release its own version of this? Us fans have been crying out for an original Dr No soundtrack for decades. And while MGM are at it can they release the proper FRWL Opening Titles. The album is different from the film with the album's recording of the main titles sounding slower and not featuring the organ played by Alan Haven.
  • It's very little to do with MGM. its EMI. If the original soundtrack elements no longer exist then there can be no release. This CD sounds like it'll be inferior.
  • The original score tapes for Dr.No FRWL, Goldfinger are, sadly, lost, according to Lukas Kendall who produced the 2003 expanded editions of Bond scores.
Sign In or Register to comment.