Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think there's also the issue that up until the last few years, most obvious (which is not the same thing as inherently bad) CGI effects looked like digital intrusions on photochemical film.

Which has trained people to associate that 'digital' look with fakeness.

So when you have a movie shot entirely on digital, people can read things which used to look entirely normal to them, because they're used to the film look, as suddenly seeming like CGI.

x9tdfLP.jpg

For example, I've had some people tell me that they thought the background of this image looked completely fake.

Even though we know they shot it on location and the location in question looks identical to what's seen here.

But it looks like a digital creation because, by virtue of being captured by a digital camera and colour graded digitally, it kind of is.

This isn't really a good or a bad thing, it's just part of how the language of film is still continuing to evolve.

Really good post.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited May 2023 Posts: 652
    I think there's also the issue that up until the last few years, most obvious (which is not the same thing as inherently bad) CGI effects looked like digital intrusions on photochemical film.

Which has trained people to associate that 'digital' look with fakeness.

So when you have a movie shot entirely on digital, people can read things which used to look entirely normal to them, because they're used to the film look, as suddenly seeming like CGI.

x9tdfLP.jpg

For example, I've had some people tell me that they thought the background of this image looked completely fake.

Even though we know they shot it on location and the location in question looks identical to what's seen here.

But it looks like a digital creation because, by virtue of being captured by a digital camera and colour graded digitally, it kind of is.

This isn't really a good or a bad thing, it's just part of how the language of film is still continuing to evolve.

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith especially have that problem. People think that the sets were all CGI due to Lucas shooting those films on prototype digital cameras which gave them a waxy and unnatural sheen, when in fact there was a ton of physical sets and model effects in them.

epb02j98im771.jpg
    ME8ZSO6_o.jpg

Generally speaking, if a production has the time and budget for 35mm, they should use it for purely aesthetic reasons.
    There are at least seven major setpieces
    I count three: The opening with the nazi fortress and train, the New York Parade setpiece and the car/tuk-tuk chase.

I don't consider the scene in the Hunter College archive as a setpiece. Likewise a fistfight isn't a setpiece.

But that's just me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I feel like there may be another we haven't seen yet as those all seem fairly early on in the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,957
    All four Indy movies plus Young Indiana Jones unsurprisingly arrive on Disney+ at the end of the month:

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Was only a matter of time. I would have been surprised if Disney let Indy only remain exclusively with Paramount+ while a new film was out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well it wouldn't be a case of letting them, as Paramount own the distribution rights: more likely Disney just paid for them (probably only temporarily too). I don't think they're even exclusive anyway: here in the UK I think they're still on Sky as well.

It'll be interesting to see if they use the new versions made for the 4K release: Skull in particular has its picture improved immeasurably from the original release.
    The 4K versions are on Paramount+, I suspect Disney will get those as well.

I’d like to see Young Indy remastered, but I that’s probably too expensive and Disney won’t invest in that, especially if Paramount still retains distribution rights.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    There are at least seven major setpieces
    I count three: The opening with the nazi fortress and train, the New York Parade setpiece and the car/tuk-tuk chase.

I don't consider the scene in the Hunter College archive as a setpiece. Likewise a fistfight isn't a setpiece.

But that's just me.

Correct. A "setpiece" is a large-scale action sequence. In the early days of Hollywood, a setpiece was a scene that would justify the construction of a bigger set - hence the name. Indy movies (like Bond films) have setpieces and action scenes. Sometimes the line is blurred and sometimes it's obvious. For example, the tank chase at the end of Last Crusade is very clearly the film's main setpiece. However, would we call the motorcycle/sidecar chase a setpiece? Possibly, but probably not. Most films like this have three setpieces, one in each act.

That being said, it's interesting that we seem to have three in the first two acts of Dial of Destiny, so we might end up with more. The two and a half hour runtime might certainly lends itself to more. We'll find out soon!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's possible there's another we've seen nothing of because perhaps the setting gives away too much about the nature of the plot of the film. I guess that would be quite surprising but I suppose possible.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 669
    mtm wrote: »
    It's possible there's another we've seen nothing of because perhaps the setting gives away too much about the nature of the plot of the film. I guess that would be quite surprising but I suppose possible.

I hope so! That would be great. It may have something to do with the plane.
  • Looking forward to Indy 5 more than any other.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    First reactions in a few hours...

FwapuM4aMAYIpSS?format=jpg&name=medium
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    Very much looking forward to those!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For example, the tank chase at the end of Last Crusade is very clearly the film's main setpiece.
    And in the last three Bond movies the main (biggest?) setpiece was in the PCS. Sadly.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I just wish we weren't doing the "have to get out of a crashing plane" bit again from the second movie. Otherwise it looks exciting, fresh, and of course I'm gonna go see it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    First review (possibly gives away more about the film than you'll want to know so skim it or just look at the star rating!)

https://www.gamesradar.com/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review/
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    mtm wrote: »
    First review (possibly gives away more about the film than you'll want to know so skim it or just look at the star rating!)

https://www.gamesradar.com/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review/

A promising review 👍
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I don't care what those stuck-up folks at Cannes felt about it. I'm just dying to see it!
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 1,395
    Me too my man! Just thought it was a strange way to say 5 minute applause. :))

Edit: New TV Spot * Tickets on sale Monday!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I would imagine a standing ovation in Cannes means that most likely, the film isn't an absolute piece of crap. But it doesn't mean anything else. They always applaud films at Cannes. It's tradition at this point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The reviews are all over the place on this one. It doesn’t sound like a Maverick-style triumph, but not a disaster either. ‘Better than the last one’ seems to be as much as a consensus as we’re getting; I can live with that.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not that I had a lot of doubt, but this sounds as promising as I could hope.
    Roll on the end of June.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 6,728
    I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be a film that suits my taste. I'll probably have a fun time with it at the very least, especially since I'm going in pretty much blind. I haven't even bothered with the trailers. With NTTD, avoiding that stuff took some active effort on my part. With this one, it was fairly effortless, not because of a lack of interest though.
    Exactly the reception I expected. 7/10 quality would be good enough for what it is.
    50% on rotten tomatoes.

Has anyone contemplated that this might actually be WORSE than Crystal Skull?

:-?
    If the film were awful, the only way to survive its awfulness would be to shut your eyes. Not to look at it, no matter what happens.