DC's new signature Skyfall tuxedo..?

DSRDSR
edited August 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 8
I was wondering if everyone else noticed that in the Skyfall Promo pic and display at theaters DC is wearing a navy blue tuxedo? I know that this color is sometimes referred to as "true black". But is DC the first to wear it? SC, RM, had a white jacket, GL had a ruffled shirt(bad choice in my opinion), TD, PB had traditional black tuxedo. I like it, I hope he wears it in his next 1-2 films. Become his signature tux..

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Are you sure it isn't just the way the lighting hits the suit?
    It's midnight blue, and most of the other Bonds have worn it. Craig has worn it before as well.
  • I don't like the look of it on the posters, when you can clearly see it's blue. Looks fine most of the time because it seems black.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Upon watching GoldenEye again, I noticed Brosnan wears a similar colour during the tank chase.
    Bond's dinner jacket is actually "Midnight Blue", a very common variation, and it seems obvious the color was "punched up" quite a bit in the processing of the photo (maybe they think a bit of color will catch the casual eye more than a simple black and white poster?).

Midnight Blue is an extremely dark hue of navy blue achieved its popularity in the 1930s due to its ability to retain its richness under artificial light whereas black fabric is generally more reflective and can sometimes give off a greenish or grayish cast, particularly if the cloth is not brand new. For this reason midnight blue is frequently described as being "blacker than black" although "richer than black" would be a more accurate definition. Similarly, midnight blue has the upper hand at parties that start prior to sunset because black has a tendency to appear dull and lifeless in daylight. Midnight Blue is rarely offered in the ready-to-wear world and usually has to be obtained on a made-to-measure basis (this is Bond, after all).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    We have discussed this (although quite inappropriately for the name of the thread) at several places in the "Skyfall" Photo Thread:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/141725#Comment_141725
    or
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/142337#Comment_142337
    newposter_by_j_westbrook-d5d6gvj.png
    The colour of Bond's tux is the least of my concerns for SF.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Lol. The funny thing is, we've all seen this midnight blue suit in the trailers and it looks black, so complaining about his dinner suit us such a waste if time and utterly pointless. That being said, is the White jacket and black trouser dinner suit still acceptable these days? I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in one, in fact they should have had Craig wear both at different points in SF.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Lol. The funny thing is, we've all seen this midnight blue suit in the trailers and it looks black, so complaining about his dinner suit us such a waste if time and utterly pointless. That being said, is the White jacket and black trouser dinner suit still acceptable these days? I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in one, in fact they should have had Craig wear both at different points in SF.

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings.

While summer in the southern United States qualifies as being at least subtropical, general expert convention is that the United Kingdom's temperate climate is not appropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year (with the notable exception of Last Night at the Proms).

And if you're particularly serious about formal convention, a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips” as Esquire once put it.

• A tux looks best when it's black. Mines very stylish!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I would wear a tux every day if I could... 8->
    Until then we'll have to settle for a T-shirt with a tux design :-<
    QBranch wrote:
    Until then we'll have to settle for a T-shirt with a tux design :-<
    A shame, isn't it. Come on gents, let's bring back the 40s trend and wear suits EVERYWHERE!!! Trilbies, shined shoes, the whole nine!
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,945
    Personally, I like the idea of walking around in a pinstripe suit and calling everyone 'buster'.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Personally, I want to be in a rain slicked city lit up by luminous signs with streets filled with fog, trench coat packed in tight, trilby firmly laid over the top of my mug, and soaked with the precipitation falling like nails as I chase after my femme fatale. Naturally, I am channeling Bogie here.
  • Midnight blue dinner suits have been a part of the Bond films as far back as TB (and increasingly so starting with Brosnan IIRC). Good writeup on it here:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=143

A very interesting blog, although it seems that lately the writer is getting more into "right" and "wrong" than just detailing Bond's outfits (I'm of the mind that dogmatic rules can lead to someone's outfits looking bland and stuffy as opposed to sharp and stylish).
  • Midnight blue dinner suits have been a part of the Bond films as far back as TB (and increasingly so starting with Brosnan IIRC). Good writeup on it here:

A very interesting blog, although it seems that lately the writer is getting more into "right" and "wrong" than just detailing Bond's outfits (I'm of the mind that dogmatic rules can lead to someone's outfits looking bland and stuffy as opposed to sharp and stylish).

Thanks for pointing to my blog. The dinner suit in Dr. No was midnight blue as well, so Bond goes back all the way with midnight blue. Timothy Dalton is the only Bond that hasn't worn a midnight blue dinner suit. I started adding my opinion of the clothes after people started asking for it. Breaking rules I find more often makes an outfit less stylish and less sharp, like Timothy Dalton's clothes in Licence to Kill. I'm sure you'd agree that those aren't particularly sharp. Roger Moore, on the other hand, hardly ever broke rules and his outfits are the least bland of the series. And those tend to get the most criticism from Bond fans, but I take it you're a fan of his clothes? I won't bother to bring up the Skyfall tailoring. I like to think of my blog as a clothing blog that focuses on Bond, as opposed to a Bond blog that focuses on clothing.
    SuitedBond wrote:
    Midnight blue dinner suits have been a part of the Bond films as far back as TB (and increasingly so starting with Brosnan IIRC). Good writeup on it here:

Thanks for pointing to my blog. The dinner suit in Dr. No was midnight blue as well, so Bond goes back all the way with midnight blue. Timothy Dalton is the only Bond that hasn't worn a midnight blue dinner suit. I started adding my opinion of the clothes after people started asking for it. Breaking rules I find more often makes an outfit less stylish and less sharp, like Timothy Dalton's clothes in Licence to Kill. I'm sure you'd agree that those aren't particularly sharp. Roger Moore, on the other hand, hardly ever broke rules and his outfits are the least bland of the series. And those tend to get the most criticism from Bond fans, but I take it you're a fan of his clothes? I won't bother to bring up the Skyfall tailoring. I like to think of my blog as a clothing blog that focuses on Bond, as opposed to a Bond blog that focuses on clothing.

That's your blog?! Virtual high-five my friend!!! =;
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Midnight blue dinner suits have been a part of the Bond films as far back as TB (and increasingly so starting with Brosnan IIRC).

So, the Midnight Blue may be a TB Reference?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Midnight blue dinner suits have been a part of the Bond films as far back as TB (and increasingly so starting with Brosnan IIRC).

Or even Dr. No.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I must say I like the midnight blue a lot. I usually like Bond's suits. The filmmakers always put in a good effort there.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11
    Samuel001 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Or even Dr. No.

Midnight blue for evening wear is very common for English tailors, and Tom Ford's suits are Savile-Row inspired. It's simply a better colour than black in most cases. So it may or may not be a reference to the previous Bonds. Grinderman explained it well above. It's also more flattering than black is to Daniel Craig's complexion.
    SuitedBond wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Or even Dr. No.

Midnight blue for evening wear is very common for English tailors, and Tom Ford's suits are Savile-Row inspired. It's simply a better colour than black in most cases. So it may or may not be a reference to the previous Bonds. Grinderman explained it well above. It's also more flattering than black is to Daniel Craig's complexion.

The color goes with his eyes.
  • The color goes with his eyes.

It's much to dark to compare it to his eyes, but that's what light blue ties or light blue shirts are good for in his regular clothes. The hue of midnight blue better complements Craig's skin tone than black does. Moore, who has similar colouring to Craig, also looked better in midnight than black, and the best dinner suit for Moore was the blue double-breasted one in A View to a Kill.
  • DSRDSR
    Great posts..