Tomorrow Never... Dies, or Lies?

2»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    marymoss wrote:

Besides, You Only Live Twice doesn't exactly make sense either so there is precedence. Plus, there are other Bond titles that don't make sense to me.

Live and Let Die - Okay, this one does make sense but, to me, it just seems like the writer was trying to be cute with the phrase Live and Let Live.

The Spy who Loved Me - Again, this does make sense since Bond and Anya fall for each other. I just don't particularly like the title.

For Your Eyes Only -- There is really no point to this title at all since it's not really important that the file is marked FYEO.

The Living Daylights - I don't see how this is related to the plot either. In fact, based on the plot AVTAK would make more sense but it was already taken

The World is not Enough - Catchy but doesn't really make any sense

So, I guess from my perspective Bond titles aren't really supposed to make any sense. They're just supposed to be catchy.

You Only Live Twice, as with Live And Let Die is simply a twist on a well known phrase ('You only live once' and 'live and let live'.) Fleming did alot of that. And the film of YOLT uses Bond's faked death to make sense of the title. LALD I agree isn't specific to the film or plotline, but it's a great title nontheless

The World Is Not Enough makes perfect sense. If I gave you the world would it be enough? In Elektra's case obviously not. ;-)
  • The World Is Not Enough is taken from the translation of James Bond's family motto 'Orbis Non Sufficit', first heard in it's original Latin term in On Her Majestys Secret Service when Bond is at the College of Arms
  • The World Is Not Enough is taken from the translation of James Bond's family motto 'Orbis Non Sufficit', first heard in it's original Latin term in On Her Majestys Secret Service when Bond is at the College of Arms

I know but it still doesn't make sense since the world is the most you can have. You'd think Bond's family would have a better motto.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    marymoss wrote:
    The World Is Not Enough is taken from the translation of James Bond's family motto 'Orbis Non Sufficit', first heard in it's original Latin term in On Her Majestys Secret Service when Bond is at the College of Arms

I know but it still doesn't make sense since the world is the most you can have. You'd think Bond's family would have a better motto.

The World is Not Enough is a cool title, don't mess with Fleming genius! :-bd
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, The World is Not Enough is a good title, plus, it gives us TWINE!!! I prefer calling it TWINE instead of saying the full title, it makes the film sound funny. "Yeah, I'ma go watch TWINE." "Twine? What the hell is that?" "Y'know, the movie with Pierce Brosnan?" "He was in a movie about twine?" It leads to hilarious conversations.
    marymoss wrote:
    I like Tomorrow Never Dies a lot better. It's more intriguing. Plus, in Carver's mind, his media group would never die.

Besides, You Only Live Twice doesn't exactly make sense either so there is precedence. Plus, there are other Bond titles that don't make sense to me.

Live and Let Die - Okay, this one does make sense but, to me, it just seems like the writer was trying to be cute with the phrase Live and Let Live.

The Spy who Loved Me - Again, this does make sense since Bond and Anya fall for each other. I just don't particularly like the title.

For Your Eyes Only -- There is really no point to this title at all since it's not really important that the file is marked FYEO.

The Living Daylights - I don't see how this is related to the plot either. In fact, based on the plot AVTAK would make more sense but it was already taken

The World is not Enough - Catchy but doesn't really make any sense

So, I guess from my perspective Bond titles aren't really supposed to make any sense. They're just supposed to be catchy.

You Only Live Twice- makes a refrence to Bond's Fake Death
    Live and Let Die- agreed
    The Spy Who Loved Me- Agreed
    For Your Eyes Only- partially agree-
    The Living Daylights- the scene where saunders and bond cross the border and he says whatever she was i certainly scared the living daylights out of her
    The World is Not Enough- when Electra tells Bond that she could have given him the world if he joins her and he said the world is not enough- meaning nothing she can give him could make him join her...the title is also a refrence to the Bond's family moto which was revealed in OHMSS
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    marymoss wrote:
    The World Is Not Enough is taken from the translation of James Bond's family motto 'Orbis Non Sufficit', first heard in it's original Latin term in On Her Majestys Secret Service when Bond is at the College of Arms

It's not really actually meant to be feasible. It's just a phrase. Most phrases like that don't make realistic sense.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Agreed. The World Is Not Enough is one of my favorite titles!
    Agreed. The World Is Not Enough is one of my favorite titles!

Here here! It makes perfect sense, it is Bond's family motto, and it simply sounds epic!