Tomorrow Never... Dies, or Lies?

X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
edited August 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,635
As i've heard a lot before, TND was suposed to Be TNL (Tomorrow Never Lies) but there was a type error when writing the title in a document for the movie production. Actually i think that this title wouldn't work because it seems weak and just doesn't fits to the movie.

What do you guys may think that which title the movie should had?

Comments

I think the original makes more sense as it was meant to be media baron Elliot Carver's Tomorrow newspaper in the title that was being referenced. Tomorrow Never Dies is just gibberish, much like Yesterday To Kill.

Please keep my last example from any MGM executives, @X3MSonicX, it could just end up as a future Bond title. ;)
  • wdmwdm
    I wish it had had the proper titled. As bondsum says, it makes so much more sense.

Come on, bondsum.... Yesterday to Kill could work! ;)

Time to Kill kinda sounds cool, but I guess it's too close to the Grisham novel.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    No. No Yesterday to Kill, please... it would be so horrible...

As far as Tomorrow Never Lies goes, it would make sense. Since Carver is manipulating the media himself, everything he puts in his newspaper is truth. Tomorrow technically isn't lying at all. Look at the opening of the film. Seventeen British sailors were murdered, and the ammunition was the same type used by the Chinese Air Force. As far as we know, nowhere in the paper did it say that the Chinese themselves killed the sailors. Also, Vietnamese officials did recover the bodies, and Carver doesn't state when they recovered them.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lies works better for me, but I don't really have a problem with it the way it is.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, I don't think anybody has a problem with Tomorrow Never Dies (except maybe those... freaks... who want Yesterday to Kill), but I think I'd prefer Tomorrow Never Lies.
  • Both titles make sense and either one would work fine.
  • I agree with those of you who have said that Tomorrow Never Dies makes no sense. It really doesn't. Think about it. Sure, it sounds cool, and definitely very Flemingesque. But what in the world is it supposed to mean? It's rubbish. All of Fleming's titles at least made sense.

So for that reson alone, I think Tomorrow Never Lies is much better.
  • I think dies makes sense because of Carver believing that the paper would go on forever, especially with all the cash it'd make with the exclusive broadcast rights.
    I've always loved the title "Tomorrow Never Lies". It sounds better and it makes more sense. "Tomorrow Never Dies" sounds not only nonsensical but also cliche; there's too many Bond movies already with "die" or "kill" in the title.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Tomorrow Never Lies, the title (and song) sound better to me than what they ended up with. Its more sophisticated (not in a QOS way though). I wish they would have stuck with it instead, although, come to think of it (and newspaper pun aside) both kind of have the same meaning in a way. Like, tomorrow always comes... or tomorrow is everchanging and-whatever-is-conflicted-now-will-be-sorted-by-destiny-kind-of-thingy??? :-S

Still though, "Lies" over "Dies" FTW, though kind of pointless now...
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Lies is much much better but I don't hate the Dies title.
    Win, Lose or Die would of been a much better title for the movie, Tomorrow Never Dies is the worst Bond movie title ever...
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Kananga wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies is the worst Bond movie title ever...

Be fair, Quantum Of Solace was much worse (and yes I know it was Fleming title but it was still edited terrible imo).
    jackdagger wrote:
    I've always loved the title "Tomorrow Never Lies". It sounds better and it makes more sense. "Tomorrow Never Dies" sounds not only nonsensical but also cliche; there's too many Bond movies already with "die" or "kill" in the title.

Live and Let Die
    A View to a Kill
    License to Kill
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day

What? Too many? There are five.
    How many is too many for you then, @Agent007391?
    It's lazy, unimaginative and not in keeping with the spirit of Fleming who came up with a title that was original and fresh and not repetitive.
    Tomorrow Never Lies would have been more original, and just as Flemingesque, if not more.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Tomorrow Never Lies is easily the better of the two.
    Tomorrow Never Dies is just a bit too repetitive in comparison to the other titles: there are a lot of die/kill in the Bond titles. Tomorrow Never Lies sounds more intriguing and elegant. And as Agent said, it makes perfect sense in the story.
    bondsum wrote:
    How many is too many for you then, @Agent007391?
    It's lazy, unimaginative and not in keeping with the spirit of Fleming who came up with a title that was original and fresh and not repetitive.

How many is too many for me? If half of the Bond films had the words in the title. I do, however, agree that it's lazy and unimaginative. Especially when you add in some novels.

Win, Lose or Die
    Death is Forever
    The Facts of Death
    High Time to Kill
    Never Dream of Dying
    Double or Die
  • George Lazenby in: Never Too Young to Die!!

screen_image_144563.jpg

:P
    No, but now he's Too Old to Live!
  • leave George alone

Tomorrow Never Lies would of been better, with reference to Carver's media group, and news publications, but 'never dies?', it's a nonsense..

But even though it's less appropriate for the plot of the movie, it does sound better admittedly

Just another silly title for a Bond film, after A View to a Kill, and Quantum of Solace to name but two. This 1997 release was a disaster for me, they could of called it 'Ben Hur' or 'Gone with the Wind' and it wouldn't have made it any better
    I think Tomorrow never lies is more Flemingesque and it works better but i dont hate the title with dies.
    Lies!! It sounds more Flemming and makes more sense.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like it with Lies better, and it fits the plot better ... but so often kill/die seems to be the favorite for in a title. And Tomorrow Never Dies is not a bad title really. Worst title for me was for sure Quantum of Solace. I mean, really now. Yech.

I much prefer Tomorrow Never Dies, regardless of whether or not the whole die/kill titles are used often. Tomorrow Never Lies just sounds a bit forced and corny, while Tomorrow Never Dies just sounds right to the punch and super-cool. It also makes sense too if you think about it!
  • It sounds better Beast, but isn't best suited to the theme of the movie and Carver's media publications. It works both ways, I prefer the 'dies' title, as it does sound better, but makes no sense in regard to the Media news network. Oh well
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 176
    I like Tomorrow Never Dies a lot better. It's more intriguing. Plus, in Carver's mind, his media group would never die.

Besides, You Only Live Twice doesn't exactly make sense either so there is precedence. Plus, there are other Bond titles that don't make sense to me.

Live and Let Die - Okay, this one does make sense but, to me, it just seems like the writer was trying to be cute with the phrase Live and Let Live.

The Spy who Loved Me - Again, this does make sense since Bond and Anya fall for each other. I just don't particularly like the title.

For Your Eyes Only -- There is really no point to this title at all since it's not really important that the file is marked FYEO.

The Living Daylights - I don't see how this is related to the plot either. In fact, based on the plot AVTAK would make more sense but it was already taken

The World is not Enough - Catchy but doesn't really make any sense

So, I guess from my perspective Bond titles aren't really supposed to make any sense. They're just supposed to be catchy.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,812
    jackdagger wrote:

Live and Let Die
    A View to a Kill
    License to Kill
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day

That's still too many. Now if "License to Kill" was "License Revoked" and "Tomorrow Never Dies" was "Tomorrow Never Lies" we wouldn't be having this conversation and those titles would sound better, imo.

jackdagger wrote:

Live and Let Die
    A View to a Kill
    License to Kill
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day

That's still too many. Now if "License to Kill" was "License Revoked" and "Tomorrow Never Dies" was "Tomorrow Never Lies" we wouldn't be having this conversation and those titles would sound better, imo.

5 out of 23 is too many? 10 out of 23 is too many. 23 out of 23 is too many (though, by then we'd damn well better be used to it). 5 out of 23 is less than 25% of the titles.