Roger Moore: Daniel Craig is the Best Bond Actor

Comments

he's so much funnier in Hot Fuzz but when he does it in TLD & LTK he's just a little too stiff.

Agreed 100%. I think Dalton is wonderful in HF. You can tell he's just having a good time whereas with the more humerous moments in Bond he just seemed a bit uncomfortable to me. Craig can sell moments like that better.
  • Yeah yeah Craig is better than Dalton, he's more charming, etc. I'm tired of arguing with the same people over this so I'm just going to ignore it now.
    actonsteve wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Which often meant action shit like 'The Rock' and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

How can you put The Rock, one of the greatest action films of all time, in the same category as The League Of Extarordianry Gentlemen, which is just a big, crap, missed opportunity?

Sorry, but its hardly Little Dorrit is it? Its a big dumb actioner. I like films with more meat on the bone.

Connery sleepwalked (as he does sometimes). Watch him act in The Name of the Rose and The Untouchables but not in The Rock.

I've seen The Untouchables (loved it). Yes The Rock is a big dumb actioner overall but cmon, that hardly means it's really bad, it's just lots of fun. Plenty of Bond films could be classed as big dumb actioners.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Yeah yeah Craig is better than Dalton, he's more charming, etc. I'm tired of arguing with the same people over this so I'm just going to ignore it now.
    actonsteve wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Which often meant action shit like 'The Rock' and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

How can you put The Rock, one of the greatest action films of all time, in the same category as The League Of Extarordianry Gentlemen, which is just a big, crap, missed opportunity?

Sorry, but its hardly Little Dorrit is it? Its a big dumb actioner. I like films with more meat on the bone.

Connery sleepwalked (as he does sometimes). Watch him act in The Name of the Rose and The Untouchables but not in The Rock.

I've seen The Untouchables (loved it). Yes The Rock is a big dumb actioner overall but cmon, that hardly means it's really bad, it's just lots of fun. Plenty of Bond films could be classed as big dumb actioners.

The Untouchables makes me sad :'(
    what is great acting anyway? I've always thought the toughest thing to do was just appear totally natural on screen, Sir Sean and Sir Rog do this with ease!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yeah yeah Craig is better than Dalton, he's more charming, etc. I'm tired of arguing with the same people over this so I'm just going to ignore it now.

Well, to be fair neither side is giving an inch on this so it isn't just pro-Craig people digging their heels in.

All fans will prefer one Bond to another so no way will a Dalton fan convert a Craig fan or visa verca, they have to come to their own conclusions. These argumnets will always go round in circles.
  • NicNac wrote:

Well, to be fair neither side is giving an inch on this so it isn't just pro-Craig people digging their heels in.

All fans will prefer one Bond to another so no way will a Dalton fan convert a Craig fan or visa verca, they have to come to their own conclusions. These argumnets will always go round in circles.

I know but I'm just tired of arguing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote:

I know but I'm just tired of arguing.

Oh shut up! ;-)
    Its very easy, royale - you want everybody to loveDalton, I want everybody to see the greatness of DC. Both of us won't succeed. I think, you can be quite happy with the amount of praise your Dalton got here, why not relax and be happy, with what you got? Seriously - saying :

thelivingroyale said:

isn't a very mature post. Its how some people feel, whereas others agree with you. So, I do think, you have NO reason at all to complain.
    Seeing as none of you can agree, how about a Roger Moore love in?
    If I'm totally honest, for pure enjoyment, Sir Rog beats pretty much everyone.

You feel like you're on an enjoyable adventure and you know it's going to be fun all the way.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @Germanlady I know, and I am happy with it, I'm just tired arguing with the same people over Dalton and Craig, it gets boring, so I'm just going to stop.
    Seeing as none of you can agree, how about a Roger Moore love in?

I'm fine with that :)
    Getafix wrote:
    If I'm totally honest, for pure enjoyment, Sir Rog beats pretty much everyone.

You feel like you're on an enjoyable adventure and you know it's going to be fun all the way.

Yeah you're always guaranteed a good time with a Moore film.
    My favourite Bond, what more can I say?
    Ah, once again Sir Rog brings harmony to the world!
  • Germanlady wrote:

Moore is your favourite Bond?
    Germanlady wrote:

Oh sure, I often said it. DC is just my fav Bond actor. There is a difference.
    But Moores portrayal for me was Bond - more so then Connery. I had trouble adjusting to DC's Bond, but loving the man greatly helped ;)
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

But Moores portrayal for me was Bond - more so then Connery. I had trouble adjusting to DC's Bond, but loving the man greatly helped ;)

Ah I get it. My favourite Bond actor is probably Connery because he's done so many great films outside of Bond, but I prefer Dalton and Brosnan to him as Bond.
    I never knew - for whatever reason, you liked Brosnan. How can that be, as he differs so much from Dalton?
  • Germanlady wrote:
    I never knew - for whatever reason, you liked Brosnan. How can that be, as he differs so much from Dalton?

I thought he was a good blend of Moore and Connery, while he was also original and bought new stuff to the character, which I liked. I don't mind that he's different to Dalton, I think if every Bond was similar to him it would be boring, I think they should all be different.
    I think, he has the light touch of Moore, but nothing of the brooding macculinity of Connery or DC. Like all the others, he was very much his own man in bringing in, what he could do best.
  • NicNac wrote:

I love both Dalton and Craig, and don't see nearly the amount of contrast between them that others do. Similar approaches. Put them against Moore and Brosnan, then the contrast becomes much more pronounced.
    Yeah, I think there are similarities between DC and TD in terms of how they've approached the role, but for me TD's performances in his two films were more rounded and complete. They are not miles apart but for me there is still a significant qualitative difference between them.

I don't put Moore and Brosnan in the same boat though. For me they are very different. Again, perhaps their approach to the role was similar, but the outcome was starkly different.
    For once, I agree - as Brosnan, as I said, had a lighter touch, but didn't stick to it. He tried to build the bridge between Conneresque Bond and Moore Bond and that didn't work IMO.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think, he has the light touch of Moore, but nothing of the brooding macculinity of Connery or DC. Like all the others, he was very much his own man in bringing in, what he could do best.

He had Connerys charm, Moore's light touch, a bit of Daltons emotion/ruthlessness and his own sort of coolness and confidence that he bought.

I honestly don't get it when people go on about how Craig is close to Connery. They look nothing like eachother and act nothing like eachother.

Craig comes across as a mix of Dalton and Lazenby to me. He has Daltons ruthlessness and emotion and he has Lazenbys fighting skills.
    Germanlady wrote:
    For once, I agree - as Brosnan, as I said, had a lighter touch, but didn't stick to it. He tried to build the bridge between Conneresque Bond and Moore Bond and that didn't work IMO.

People always say this and I don't see how it didn't work. What exactly was wrong with it? He had lighter moments (like his one liners after some fight scenes) and darker moments (like killing Alec or Elektra), and he blended them well together.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Yeah, I think there are similarities between DC and TD in terms of how they've approached the role, but for me TD's performances in his two films were more rounded and complete. They are not miles apart but for me there is still a significant qualitative difference between them.

I don't put Moore and Brosnan in the same boat though. For me they are very different. Again, perhaps their approach to the role was similar, but the outcome was starkly different.

Exactly what my point has been, Tim got to play Bond full tilt and complete. This is why Craig's performance in November is particularly compelling to me, that common ground should definitely help to define exactly where he stacks up and give us all a fairer comparison to work with.
    @royale - Brosnan was good in a lot of things, but he wasn't convincing, when he tried to be ruthless and brutal.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    @royale - Brosnan was good in a lot of things, but he wasn't convincing, when he tried to be ruthless and brutal.

I thought Brosnan achieved ruthless and brutal as well as Bond could do it with the Kaufmann scene in TND. That may be his most Bondian moment for me. Unfortunately, those kinds of scenes were in very short supply circa 1995-2002.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

So you are not completely obsessed with DC
    Germanlady wrote:

He had Connerys charm, Moore's light touch, a bit of Daltons emotion/ruthlessness and his own sort of coolness and confidence that he bought.

I honestly don't get it when people go on about how Craig is close to Connery. They look nothing like eachother and act nothing like eachother.

Craig comes across as a mix of Dalton and Lazenby to me. He has Daltons ruthlessness and emotion and he has Lazenbys fighting skills.
    Germanlady wrote:

People always say this and I don't see how it didn't work. What exactly was wrong with it? He had lighter moments (like his one liners after some fight scenes) and darker moments (like killing Alec or Elektra), and he blended them well together.

We seem to see eye to eye on many issues, so it pains me to say...

Brozza sucked, big time! :-q

For me he never convinced on any level. I know these things are subjective, but from the moment he first appeared upside down in a toilet in GE my heart sunk. And I have to say that it was partly because I was such a Dalts fan and my expectations had been raised so high that PB was such a crushing disappointment. Which makes it all the more surprising to me that you rate them both so highly. Of course, that's your prerogative to like them both, but for me they are the polar opposites in terms of approach.

I am a fairly fanatical Bond fan and in this context I am not too embarassed to admit that I had an almost scene-by-scene critique of why I felt GE was so awful back in 1995. I remember coming out of the cinema and the group I was with had all loved it and I was there in a profound depression. Obviously it's largely due to me being a grumpy b******, but my view didn't change much with 3 subsequent films. TND was the 'high-point' for me. Up until the disappointing final scenes, it moves along at a nice pace and has a couple of decent scenes. But throughout it all, I was totally underwhelmed by Brozza. To me he was like an Austin Reed model who'd got lost and somehow wandered on to the Pinewood set - preening and smarmy but without charisma or presence. A fish out of water and for me personally the least convincing actor to have stepped into the role. And for my money he was physically the least convincing - a weak face and annoying voice.

Any way. I think I've said my piece. Again. And will now retire to a safe distance behind some large concrete objects before the Brozzites spray me with indiscriminate machine gun fire.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Getafix wrote:

He has his place, as Moore had another. But Roger is history, so the memory fades. But I never liked him as much as I like DC. I just like his portayal, the way he makes his Bond a man, a charmeur, a killer (at times) a lover...
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He has his place, as Moore had another. But Roger is history, so the memory fades. But I never liked him as much as I like DC. I just like his portayal, the way he makes his Bond a man, a charmeur, a killer (at times) a lover...

Agree with your Rog assessment. His was a rounded performance. I never really get the 'comedy' critique of Rog. Yes there were daft sight gags going on around him but he was the calm centre - for me there was always an element of ruthlessness behind the veneer of charm.
    I think, he had his very own way to be convincing as Bond in dangerous situations. I can't even really explain how he did it, but he managed without trying to be something, he was not - not a Connery clown or else.