Music findings

edited August 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,817
I am a big fan of music and one of my greatest amusements is finding new music themes or songs and listen to them many times. So I propose a thread about the pieces of music one finds and can't get away from it.
Last night I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1 and I can't get out of my head this wonderful theme:

Comments

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Reminds me of Magnum Force and Van Der Valk all in one go. ( never thought I would type that statement) Nice find though. Jackie Brown soundtrack is a killer too and any Dirty Harry Lalo Schifrin album, oh and Bullitt! ;-)
    @Monsieur_Aubergine Magnum Force and Dirty Harry have both awesome soundtracks.

The idea is that everyone can post here some piece of music that discovered recently.
    Not recently, but

Giorgio Moroder's Midnight Express is outstanding, won a few awards, it was superb

Enrico Morricone, Spaghetti Westerns, most famous, The Good The Bad and The Ugly

a Clockwork Orange, Wendy Carlos

Jaws, John Williams

Lawrence of Arabia, Maurice Jarre
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    A wonderful piece of music from the film The Island:

And just a few of my favorite tracks from the Guy Ritchie Sherlock films that I listen to endlessly:

One of my favorites from the Man in Black:
    We were talking the old genius Miklos Rosza in another thread, so here are some examples

Ben Hur

El Cid

The great Bernstein

The Heston films actually do have some great music
    Tiomkin
    55 Days in Peking
    Jerry Goldsmith, The Wind and the Lion

Another wonderful film
    Spartacus
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anything Hans Zimmer, my favorite contemporary composer:

This track for The Island is powerful:

And we are deconstructing this piece in my Music in Film class right now:

Beautiful stuff.
    Does anybody have a link for the full film of Spartacus? I would so much like to see this film again.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Does anybody have a link for the full film of Spartacus? I would so much like to see this film again.

This is a great site:
    http://veehd.com/video/4571356_Spartacus-1960
    Just click download, click the link they provide, and after it is done downloading you can watch it at your leisure on your computer.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Thanks Brady, but it says

You need the Codec-V Plugin to watch this video.

and I am such an idiot with this stuff. Is that correct, you need to install that or is there another way?

If I google it, it says, its just adds, that might have a virus, so don't install, but it seems, there is no download buttom for the film..
    Germanlady wrote:
    Thanks Brady, but it says

You need the Codec-V Plugin to watch this video.

and I am such an idiot with this stuff. Is that correct, you need to install that or is there another way?
    Yes, that will allow you to play/download the video.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I love every aspect of the film, including the score:

Love it, I just love it. B-)
    Powerfull stuff

1994 Russel Mulcahy film The Shadow, starring Alec Baldwin as Lamont Cranston

That it?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That's right. One of my absolute favourite films, tbh, moreso than any Bond film. I've proobably seen it more than all the Bonds put together too.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837

I love this sort of thread. You have an easy time just clicking on the links and may find something amazing. Thanks for playing..
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    @MajorDSmythe you reminded me of another great tune by Jerry Goldsmith.

I love the majestic feeling of the mountains expressed by the brass section.

That piano reinterpretation of the theme is plain beautiful.
    Unfortunately the Zimmer ones are not available in Germany,but I will look him up on YT myself. Will find something. Love The Edge. Goldsmith is another great one from the past for sure.
    And, the best love song in the land:

Definitely one of the best love songs in films history, along with We Have All the Time in the World,and Moon River.
    I'm also a big fan of Casablanca!
    0013 wrote:

Definitely one of the best love songs in films history, along with We Have All the Time in the World,and Moon River.
    I'm also a big fan of Casablanca!

What a great film, what great music. Truly the world's finest romance in these eyes, and so much more beyond that. I plan to watch it late tonight, being the last thing I do before I go to bed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2012 Posts: 8,040

Very underrated movie too.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    Love the movie, and really like this theme, singed by one of the finest voices:
    0013 wrote:
    Love the movie, and really like this theme, singed by one of the finest voices:
    Here, here. The finest voice.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want this guy to compose a James Bond film.
    Murdock wrote:
    I want this guy to compose a James Bond film.

After listening to it, I feel, its a bit too harsh for Bond. Dunno, how he does slowing down, but its too edgy for my taste. Do you have another example from him?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Germanlady. Here is one of the softer pieces that builds up for the ending of the film.

Here's chilled out piece.

Some parts are a bit harsh, but a little tweaking in style could still make a good score.