Favourite gunbarrel?

124»

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I really like DAD too, the music and the slightly more b&w look are great. Granted, the CGI bullet isn’t very subtle, though for a one-off it was ok.
  • It’s either Majesty’s, Diamonds, or Goldeneye for me. Both Lazenby, and Brosnan walked with such swagger in their sequences, while Diamonds had the amazing, guitar driven opening music that really screamed “Sean is Back”.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funny thing is that Lazenby is the only Bond to not have had the riff played on guitar in a gunbarrel :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2021 Posts: 6,730
    For now, my favorite gunbarrels only in terms of their music:

OHMSS: Love the opening shrieking brass, the bass guitar, the strings and the synth. Exquisite arrangement.

DAF: The vibratoless strings sound friggin' awesome and the guitar sounds full-bodied. I also love the reverb of the film version of the cue; it goes really well with the light reflections on the gunbarrel.

MR: I adore the harsh sound of the opening chords, and in the later bars, the horns and trumpets that emphasize the melody, and which give it a metallic, edgy and dangerous sound.

FYEO: So full of energy. I love the trumpets that move up an octave halfway through the piece, something not done before or since. This cue is a real musical "explosion".

AVTAK: I like how this one is so light on its feet, not only in tempo but in the sparse percussion. Also, the woodwinds fit the riff very well.

These are la crème de la crème but I love the gunbarrel cues in general. I believe I'm the first one in this thread to mention MR, and perhaps AVTAK.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,957
    I think purely musically it's hard to knock TB: I think that's pretty much the perfect 'trad' version.
    mtm wrote: »
    I must admit I'm surprised to see OHMSS so high on many peoples' lists - I always thought it was one of the worst. From George's gangly moonwalking to the mis-timed music, I always thought it was pretty poor. I like the reflections in the gunbarrel though.

Nope!
    One of the best!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    OHMSS is let down by the poor editing at the beginning. That treadmill effect. It needed about 2 seconds, or just shy of it, trimmed off.

Dalton's TLD one is my favourite, no surprise there. But the GE gunbarrel was the perfect modernisation of the gunbarrel, and should have been the template going forward.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I always found the editing of George's odd. Not only the infamous treadmill effect but also how it freezes the image of him immediately after firing so the smoke from the gun doesn't dissipate. No fault of Lazenby, but it makes the whole thing feel off. Love the music and the look of the barrel, however!
    While I'm not fond of people going back and "fixing" movies, it does seem strange to me that they haven't found a way to figure out the timing discrepancy of George's walk in his gunbarrel.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Or removed the ‘Broccoli & Saltzman present’ bit. I’m not saying they should do any tinkering, but that really spoils the whole thing for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Or removed the ‘Broccoli & Saltzman present’ bit. I’m not saying they should do any tinkering, but that really spoils the whole thing for me.

You know, that's one change to the gunbarrel, I wish they had stuck with for each debut film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

You know, that's one change to the gunbarrel, I wish they had stuck with for each debut film.

Me too, I love it. These days you could put EON in the dot, or Cubby’s middle R.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ugh, it's horrible: it spoils the simplicity of the thing to have a load of writing all over these lovely, pure graphics. And it messes up the whole 'Bond shoots, the guitar riff plays' synchronicity of the music- the riff is already playing way before George has ice-skated his way over there.
    What is it about writing on the sequence that enhances it, would you say? Are you a fan of the 'dead are alive' writing in Spectre?
  • mtm wrote: »

Ugh, it's horrible: it spoils the simplicity of the thing to have a load of writing all over these lovely, pure graphics. And it messes up the whole 'Bond shoots, the guitar riff plays' synchronicity of the music- the riff is already playing way before George has ice-skated his way over there.
    What is it about writing on the sequence that enhances it, would you say? Are you a fan of the 'dead are alive' writing in Spectre?

I think of it more as a nice little tribute to Dr. No more than anything, though I do agree that it does through off the synchronization of the music in OHMSS.

Oh lawd no, that's just up it's own rear. If the dead are alive, then that would make them Undead. What is is, a Romero movie?

I like it as a nice little flourish. I just re-watched it, via a clip on youtube, and I don't think momentarily stopping the white dot interrupts the flow.
    I actually really like the NTTD gunbarrel. The way the Norway landscape is reflected in the metal is cool
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited October 2021 Posts: 652
    TB- the definitive classic gun barrel in terms of both music and visuals
    FYEO- this one wins on the music alone, which is odd because I'm not a fan of the rest of the score.
    LTK- Kamen knocked this one of the park. The pounding foreboding drums, the Latin-flavored horn flourishes, and the sudden classic guitar after the gun barrel work so well with Dalton and they set the movie up perfectly.
    TND- if there was a second definitive classic, I'd say it's this one.
    CR- enough has been said about this one. It's the perfect segue from the PTS into the credits