A well chosen name.

edited July 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,517
The name James Bond strikes us as the perfect name for Fleming's literary creation. By now most fans know the story of how Fleming eventually arrived at the name. A dilemma facing many writers is what to name their hero. No shortage of names, but which ones have that snap and pop of 'Bond, James Bond'? Thinking of other film and literature character names, what are some of the best and some that don't quite work?

+Derek Flint, Charles Vine, Modesty Blaise

-Harry Hole, Harry Palmer, Stone Barrington

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    + Simon Templar, Jack Bauer

- Austin Powers (although it's intentionally funny)
  • oo7oo7
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,068
    +Lamont Cranston
    -Sexton Blake
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited July 2012 Posts: 858
    +Bruce Wayne, Brett Sinclair, Tony Dinozzo
    - Timothy McGee, Kenneth Hutchinson
    oo7 wrote:
    +Lamont Cranston

A small correction O:-)

• oo7oo7
    whoops sorry
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    +George Smiley, John Steed
    -Ethan Hunt
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,782
    + Jack Bower

+ Jason Bourne

+ Sherlock Holmes

- John McClane

- Matt Helm

+ Sam Spade

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,442
    +

James Bond
    Harry Potter
    Spider-Man
    Batman
    Clark Kent
    The Saint
    Jack Bauer

-

Bruce Wayne. Name of Batman, but also with Batman Begins or TDK it is easy to vergot Bruce Wayne is the name when he is not Batman.
    Simon Templar. The Saint. Linked as Roger Moore is The Saint. Of course Moore is more linked to Bond.
    Peter Parker. The name of person behind the face of Spider-Man. Same effect as Batman.
    John Mcclain. Earlier as Mcclain and linked to Bruce Willis.

Luna Lovegood. Harry Potter chacter. In Dutch translate to Luna Leeflang. Marten Asmodom Vilijn is another example, but this translation of
    Tom Marvolo Riddle whas needed to say: Mijn naam is Voldemort (My Name is Voldemort.)

+ The other way around it be with Marcel Lubbermans, this is the Dutch translation of Neville Longbottom and Albus Perkamentus, the Dutch translation of Albus Dumbledore.

+/-

Sherlock Holmes. The name is known, but Sherlock Holmes for my feeling never be that populair.
    Hulk
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Dirk Pitt.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 774
    The best: Max Power
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    + Kurt Wallander
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    negatives: Matt Helm, Ferris Bueller, Sonny Crockett,

good: Jack Reacher, Gene Hunt
  • This is difficult because the character is what makes the name cool, not vice-versa. No matter what name the character of James Bond had it would be cool unless they chose something really ridiculous.

When I was growing up the name "Bruce" was always used for a stereotypical, flamingly gay character (I'd be curious where that's from). For years that's what we always associated with the name. But then in the 80's Bruce became a very macho name because of Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Willis. Same name, but different people associated with it...
    No matter what name the character of James Bond had it would be cool unless they chose something really ridiculous.

I think it's a syllable thing, and few at that. Not seeing, 'The name is Higginbothom, Wendell Higginbothom.' (No offense to anyone who might actually have that name.)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Bruce in the 70s: Bruce Lee (perhaps a gay icon?)
    I love that artdealer named Lovejoy.

Or James Leasor's parttime secret agent dr. Jason Love.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,635
    No matter what name the character of James Bond had it would be cool unless they chose something really ridiculous.

I think it's a syllable thing, and few at that. Not seeing, 'The name is Higginbothom, Wendell Higginbothom.' (No offense to anyone who might actually have that name.)

i'll name my son as that :P Higginbothom...

+
    James Bond
    Jack Bauer
    Jason Bourne
    Sherlock Holmes
    John McClane
    Clark Kent
    Ethan Hunt

-
    Bruce Wayne
    Austin Powers
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    This is difficult because the character is what makes the name cool, not vice-versa. No matter what name the character of James Bond had it would be cool unless they chose something really ridiculous.

When I was growing up the name "Bruce" was always used for a stereotypical, flamingly gay character (I'd be curious where that's from). For years that's what we always associated with the name. But then in the 80's Bruce became a very macho name because of Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Willis. Same name, but different people associated with it...

What, you're talking about Bruce now?

Jenson Ames (Jason Statham/ Death Race)
    "Dirty" Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood/ Dirty Harry)
    Raymond Luxury- Yacht [Throat Warbler Mangrove] (Graham Chapman/ Monty Python)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    James Bond
    Harry Palmer
    Paul Kersey
    Matt Hunter
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Dick Hertz
    Harry P. Enis
    Ben Dover
    Mike Hunt
    I really should know better at my age, but

Jim Pansy

Phil McCavitie

Arthur Dayswork

Hugh G Rection

Ivor Bickock

no, I'm going to stop there, was taken in too much by the last response..

Bond is fine enough as what we got, nothing too extravagant. Caine's Harry Palmer also works well, as does also Dick Barton which I remember, Special Agent. Even Bames Jond might of worked, if Fleming was at a total loss, but maybe we should scrap that

+ Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, Nick Stone, Jack Reacher, Batman, Gene Hunt, John Mcclane, Rocky Balboa, John Rambo

- Geordie Sharp (love the books but crap name), Ethan Hunt
  • Kerim wrote:
    Dick Hertz
    Harry P. Enis
    Ben Dover
    Mike Hunt

Classy

Minnie driver
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    - Geordie Sharp (love the books but crap name)

Agreed. this is the first time i see it, and i found it f'n horrible.
    Dr Ben Dover.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    - Geordie Sharp (love the books but crap name)

Agreed. this is the first time i see it, and i found it f'n horrible.

The thing is, the character is actually really cool, he just has a bad name.

+ Ezio Auditore (from assassin's creed), Zorro (from zorro)
    - Tequila Yuen (from hard boiled)
    Dirk Pitt and of course, who could forget Arthur Two Sheds Jackson.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    - Derek Torrey