The relationship between Zorin and Mayday?

edited July 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,492
What was it?

Mod Edit - Not news, moved to Bond movies.

Comments

• edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813

Mod Edit- Using asterix to hide foul language is not acceptable. Please refrain from doing this.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    They were lovers. Simple.
    Was weird and wrong.
    She was an employee that he banged occasionally. She thought it might be more than that. ("And I thought that creep loved me!")
    Do you reckon she used to disrobe every night the way she did in Rogs' bedroom with Max..

>:/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    BAIN123 wrote:
    They were lovers. Simple.

I thought so too. A strange relationship, yes but 'lovers' all the same.
  • Bodyguard with benefits?

Either way, the idea of Grace Jones naked is enough to cause temporary blindness at the very least X_X
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    In a word? Creepy.
    Bodyguard with benefits?

Either way, the idea of Grace Jones naked is enough to cause temporary blindness at the very least X_X

=)) That was fun.
    I would say sporting activities with benefits!!! ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Bodyguard with benefits?

thumbnail.aspx?q=4781781013364819&id=39b88b08e9648c2ceaff6f0639d9717f
    Yeah, based off of May Day's comment to Bond after the flood, "And I thought that creep loved me!!", it's clear that they were certainly more than friends, hahaha. That scene where she and Zorin train in combat together also speaks for itself. Definitely incredibly weird though, I almost throw up every time Zorin leans in to kiss May Day. Ugh, I could never think of that being a possibility!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    May Day: the only hench(wo)man I hate more than her is Oddjob.
    May Day: the only hench(wo)man I hate more than her is Oddjob.

I dislike Goldfinger as a movie and think it is a dreadful bore, but I love the character of Oddjob. What about him do you not like? He's so cool!
    I thought he was just... boring. He comes in, throws his hat, breaks a statue. Other than that, killing that one Masterson woman in the forest, and then dying, he wasn't really a threat. He was more of a statue himself. He stood there, or walked in, or drove the car, or any number of other things that didn't contribute in any way to his villainy.
    I have nothing against Grace Jones as an individual but what she was doing in that years release I don't know. May Day was Walken's love interest of course, as well as being a henchperson to the Zorin character. You can see her support for him during the film, it is quite evident, but after the betrayal, she switches sides in order to help Bond and uses herself as a human sacrifice in order to stop the Bomb. I didn't care much for her character, whether she lived or died, I was totally indifferent. The Zorin/May Day love angle seems plausible enough as she (Jones) was in a relationship with Dolph Lundgren at the time, and was given a small cameo even
    Grace Jones was a popular cabaret performer at the time and breaking into movies. Her casting is the first example of "stunt casting" that was to plague the Brosnan era years later.
    Like Jaws in TSWLM she could be menacing and cartoonish at the same time (when she lifted the KGB agent).
    I have nothing against her but I just never found her to be that attractive. Rather repulsive. I can forgive a buckled face if the body is nice but she had neither.
    Zorin is kinda a sick SOB to want to bed her when he could have spent the evenings with Jenny Flex...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A strange thought just struck me - seeing as Zorin was a product and protege of a committed Nazi, it seems somewhat curious he would have a black person on his staff, let alone shag her. You would assume Mortner would insist on some sort of aryan blonde type.

Surely Brigitte Neilsen would be a shoe in to play this Germanic version of May Day?
    A strange thought just struck me - seeing as Zorin was a product and protege of a committed Nazi, it seems somewhat curious he would have a black person on his staff, let alone shag her. You would assume Mortner would insist on some sort of aryan blonde type.

Good point. But was Zorin a committed Nazi as much as Mortner. Certainly he was interested in eugenics with horsebreeding. But maybe he kept his bonking with Mayday quiet and kept the aryan Jenny Flex at the forefront.

Grace Jones was a phenomenon in 1985. She was very fashionable hanging around with Andy Warhol and the New York fashionistas. She also had a scary reputation ie beatng up Russell Harty when he turned around to interview another guest. She could do menace very easily because she was menacing.

I thought she was a good choice for the role. She gave the film that interesting edge which was elaborated in the advertising at the time.

And you are right she was the first example of stunt casting. Although back in the sixties Honor and Diana were both "names" as well.

Well in terms of "stunt casting" there was also Tanya Roberts in the very same film. I doubt she was chosen because the producers believed she and Rog would make the perfect couple.

Why didnt we get to see more of Jenny Flex either?

Incidentally she also played Taffin's love interest and was the woman in that infamous clip with Brozza.
  • I thought he was just... boring. He comes in, throws his hat, breaks a statue. Other than that, killing that one Masterson woman in the forest, and then dying, he wasn't really a threat. He was more of a statue himself. He stood there, or walked in, or drove the car, or any number of other things that didn't contribute in any way to his villainy.

You forgot a few other instances such as-

1. Knocking out and then suffocating Jill with gold paint.
    2. Launching Kisch a few stories inside Fort Knox.
    3. Whacking Mr. Solo

On the contrary, quite a threat. Just not to speak ;)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Bodyguard with benefits?

If Christopher Walken wants to make out with a black man, that's his business, but this relationship can cause chronic projectile vomiting for anyone.
    I thought he was just... boring. He comes in, throws his hat, breaks a statue. Other than that, killing that one Masterson woman in the forest, and then dying, he wasn't really a threat. He was more of a statue himself. He stood there, or walked in, or drove the car, or any number of other things that didn't contribute in any way to his villainy.

You forgot a few other instances such as-

1. Knocking out and then suffocating Jill with gold paint.
    2. Launching Kisch a few stories inside Fort Knox.
    3. Whacking Mr. Solo

On the contrary, quite a threat. Just not to speak ;)

1) We don't know if Oddjob did that, or somebody with Oddjob. The only one we see is Oddjob knocking Bond out, but that doesn't mean he did it.
    2) I forgot Kisch existed. Let alone the fact that Oddjob did anything.
    3) Didn't I cover that when I said "drove the car"?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Of course Oddjob did it to Jill. Who else would have? Kisch? Unlikely. Goldfinger would be too smart to be seen anywhere around Bond's room, that's why he has henchmen and goons to do that for him. And there's a difference between just driving a car and shooting your passenger dead while driving said car. Maybe you should watch the movie again, it seems to me you haven't in awhile and missed a few things.

All of these things add plenty to Oddjob's villainy unless one doesn't want to acknowledge that to hold their position. It's like saying he's not sadistic when he clearly is.

But we digress. Time to return to the topic.
    Back on topic, Should Mayday have survived ala Jaws ie she throws herself off the minecar as the bomb explodes.

Then watches helplessly as Bond grabs the dirigible mooring rope with creaking limbs and is lifted into the air.
  • oo7oo7
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,068
    Mod Edit- Using asterix to hide foul language is not acceptable. Please refrain from doing this.

asterix-animated-gif2.gif you!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,341

Surely Brigitte Neilsen would be a shoe in to play this Germanic version of May Day?

Zorin's mother may have been experimented on by sick German doctors but doesn't necessarily mean that young Max was indocrinated or raised in that racist bullshit. Besides the libido is "color blind". Look at those southern slave masters in the USA...

If any Bond villian shows any sign of racial bigotry it would have to be Ernst Stavro Blofeld. He surrounds himself with big hulky blond "Aryan Supermen".
    Time to get back on subject...
    Here's one thing that always struck me- I had remembered either reading about in a James Bond reference book or hearing in the actual AVTAK movie that May Day herself was of the same biological freak experiments that Dr. Mortner had conducted sometime back, and that was the source of her unusual strength and physical ability. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    She wouldn't have been old enough at the time for it. Mortner's experiments were carried out during, or soon after World War II if I remember. It would help if we knew how old the May Day character was supposed to be. Jones was 37 herself at time of release, and I would of put her down as much younger than that for her character, so basically, it is feasible that her May Day character may have been involved, but I still say unlikely
    She wouldn't have been old enough at the time for it. Mortner's experiments were carried out during, or soon after World War II if I remember. It would help if we knew how old the May Day character was supposed to be. Jones was 37 herself at time of release, and I would of put her down as much younger than that for her character, so basically, it is feasible that her May Day character may have been involved, but I still say unlikely

Yeah I had thought about that, and I just assumed that if what I had asked earlier was true, then the directors decided to overlook Jones' present age and make her older than she might have looked.
    I never took much notice of the strength issue if I'm being honest, as with the whole release too I'm afraid. Yes, she was stronger than she should of been, was no Amazon with it, but I don't think any experiments were involved. I just like to believe the filmmakers decided to give her a little extra strength to liven things up. Remember Dolly in Moonraker? - she was about a quarter of the size of Jaws, and was stronger than he was - it's basically like that. Strange, but something they just included, I don't think many paid too much attention to either event though..