Christian Bale: Where to after Batman?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Topkapi' does remind me of their idea of this sequel, mainly because they both involve The Topkapi Palace and robbing it of the valuables it houses.
  • Men from Uncle film surely?

There was a 60's film called Topkapi about thieves; I don't remember ... Peter Ustinov? Anyone recall?
    Sure. Maximilian Schell. I always thought The Topkapi Affair was supposed to be some kind of remake, just as The Thomas Crown Affair was some kind of remake of The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    boldfinger wrote:
    There was a 60's film called Topkapi about thieves; I don't remember ... Peter Ustinov? Anyone recall?
    Sure. Maximilian Schell. I always thought The Topkapi Affair was supposed to be some kind of remake, just as The Thomas Crown Affair was some kind of remake of The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen.

Did you like the 60's film? I'll see if I can rent it here, I've never seen it, I think just a clip ages ago.

Christian Bale - future Bond villian?
    Christian Bale - future Bond villian?

James Bond vs American Psycho. I like it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bale won't do Batman again. Much like Keaton left when Burton left, so will Bale not come back if Nolan doesn't.

The way I see it, Bale will take on serious roles, as he did in Nolan's The Prestige and Mann's Public Enemies, and he will avoid type casting.

The Terminator series is a dead end, I think. Unless they resort to spin-offs, reboots, remakes or crossovers, we won't see further cinematic product soon and even if we do, Bale will not stick around. By the way, as much as I enjoy Bale as an actor, I actually hold him partially accountable for the flaws in T4. His performance was good, no doubt there, but it was Bale who took control of the script and forcefully sent them in an entirely different direction than what they had originally planned. Now, knowing the few things that are known about that original direction, all I can say is they should have gone with that instead of squeezing out this messy script under more or less Bale's command. This is the one occasion where I can't blame the director. I honestly think McG takes a blame for T4 he doesn't deserve.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote:

Did you like the 60's film? I'll see if I can rent it here, I've never seen it, I think just a clip ages ago.

I´m afraid I don´t remember much of it. I know for sure that I was too young at the time to understand the film, love story and all.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    By the way, as much as I enjoy Bale as an actor, I actually hold him partially accountable for the flaws in T4. His performance was good, no doubt there, but it was Bale who took control of the script and forcefully sent them in an entirely different direction than what they had originally planned. Now, knowing the few things that are known about that original direction, all I can say is they should have gone with that instead of squeezing out this messy script under more or less Bale's command. This is the one occasion where I can't blame the director. I honestly think McG takes a blame for T4 he doesn't deserve.
    This is interesting, I didn´t know. Can you give some more details were the original ideas were going?

Oh thank goodness he's not returning as Batman! Yes! That's terrific news! I can't stand Bale as Batman; he doesn't do the character any justice whatsoever. I have never been impressed with him as Batman.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    00Beast wrote:
    Oh thank goodness he's not returning as Batman! Yes! That's terrific news! I can't stand Bale as Batman; he doesn't do the character any justice whatsoever. I have never been impressed with him as Batman.

Same here, I couldn't understand a single word he said in TDK. He doesn't feel like Bruce Wayne to me either. The films weren't bad, but I think they made a poor casting choice with Bale.

Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Same here, I couldn't understand a single word he said in TDK. He doesn't feel like Bruce Wayne to me either. The films weren't bad, but I think they made a poor casting choice with Bale.

Thank you! Somebody gets it! I can't stand that stupid voice he makes that sounds like he's dying of thirst in the desert and needs a drink of water as soon as possible. And you are absolutely correct, as far as Bruce Wayne is concerned, well, we'd need Val Kilmer or Michael Keaton back- they convinced me as Bruce Wayne, I could easily see it. With Bale? Hah! Not a chance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2012 Posts: 16,333
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Thank you! Somebody gets it! I can't stand that stupid voice he makes that sounds like he's dying of thirst in the desert and needs a drink of water as soon as possible. And you are absolutely correct, as far as Bruce Wayne is concerned, well, we'd need Val Kilmer or Michael Keaton back- they convinced me as Bruce Wayne, I could easily see it. With Bale? Hah! Not a chance.

I watched Keaton in "The Other Guys" He was like 58 or 59 and he still looked good enough to play Batman.

boldfinger wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    By the way, as much as I enjoy Bale as an actor, I actually hold him partially accountable for the flaws in T4. His performance was good, no doubt there, but it was Bale who took control of the script and forcefully sent them in an entirely different direction than what they had originally planned. Now, knowing the few things that are known about that original direction, all I can say is they should have gone with that instead of squeezing out this messy script under more or less Bale's command. This is the one occasion where I can't blame the director. I honestly think McG takes a blame for T4 he doesn't deserve.
    This is interesting, I didn´t know. Can you give some more details were the original ideas were going?

It seemed that Connor was going to be a sleeper role, setting up Bale for a much bigger part in sequels. This film was going to be about Marcus and Reese entirely. Also, if I recall correctly, Skynet was originally going to attempt coexistence with humans. Bottom line, this film was going to be Reese's story all the way. There wouldn't be a lot of Connor, Brewster or even the Resistance. They would all exist outside the box of T4 and be something of a goal for the next films. Bale, however, insisted that his part be a lot bigger, central to the film in fact, with a lot of fighting done by Connor at the end. Thus, we got only a small bit of Reese's character and the two of them meeting wasn't as epic a moment as it could and should have been. Connor was going to be a symbol in this film, the very symbol he was in The Terminator, instead of a character. Also, Marcus Wright would become more important, as the only 'tough' alpha male of the bunch. Now we have both him and Connor fighting for that part and it seems that Wright makes less sense as a character. We wouldn't have all the stuff with Connor fighting red tape, trying to strike at Skynet, checking out those tapes from his mother. The film would have been more precise and as I understand it, it would have omitted more details from T3 like the Kate Brewster character.

I'll see if I can find a source. I heard it on a podcast but the guy who talked about it always does his research well.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Salvation sounds much better the way you described it. Although Bale is my favourite John Connor (the worst has to be the annoying kid actor).
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I watched Keaton in "The Other Guys" He was like 58 or 59 and he still looked good enough to play Batman.

I was glad to hear his voice work on Toy Story 3 about two years back! When his character spoke I was like "Yes! That's Michael Keaton!" We went to see it with my church's youth group, and of course, none of them knew who Michael Keaton was. Such a shame.
    Salvation sounds much better the way you described it. Although Bale is my favourite John Connor (the worst has to be the annoying kid actor).

Agree with that . Bale is a good John Connor, the kid is just annoying as you say. I would like to see Bale given another stab at the role but maybe the producers will opt for a complete re-boot for any future Terminator movie.

Like I said in my earlier post, Bale could be a future Bond villain? I think he could do a great job.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Univex wrote:
    Christian Bale will not be remembered as Batman/Bruce Wayne. He is, always will be, above any stereotype. Why? Because there are many to pick. For example, for me, he´ll always be Patrick Bateman. For some he´s John Connor. For most, he´s Batman. And I bet he´ll be many more. The guy is a good actor. Period. One of my favourite films is Empire of the Sun. There´s no telling what he´ll do next. Guy´s a weight-changing kameleon.

Agreed.

However, after reading many reviews of TDKR, the general consensus is that Bale knocked his performance out of the park and into another galaxy. Bale's performance in TDKR is a defining moment in his career.

Oh no, not Edward Furlong. He had such great chemistry with Arnold. Nick Stahl has to be the worst Connor overall.
    Did he ever show up again? I remember earlier this year he was reported missing
    @DarthDimi I agree he had good chemistry with Arnold, but, he just really annoyed me. Here, this explains it best.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18698_the-7-most-irritating-characters-from-otherwise-great-movies_p2.html
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Salvation sounds much better the way you described it.
    I have to agree. Thanks @DarthDimi.
    @DarthDimi I agree he had good chemistry with Arnold, but, he just really annoyed me.
    I have to agree again. I haven´t read the stuff from your link, but kid actors are not my thing. The idea in T2 was pretty awesome, but, hey, go find a kid that has the powerful expression an adult actor has, let alone Connor´s mum. I saw only one kid who really blew me away, the boy in Hugo, and I am ashamed I forgot his name, because he really deserves awe.

EDIT: I went to your link. My heart opens at these words:
    cracked wrote:
    as Plinkett points out in his excellent Star Wars prequel reviews, kids don't go to movies to see other kids. They want to fantasize about being an adult Han Solo, not a young, annoying Anakin Skywalker.
    But how dare they to put the one and only Sherriff Jay Doub-yah Pepper on that list!

Agent005 wrote:
    I'd like to see Bale take a few villain roles. He's done the hero thing with Batman very well, but, as we saw in American Psycho, he's got that villainous, psychotic edge down to a science and it would be great to see him use it again.
    No way don't put him in Villain place again. He was rough. Put him in more good guys role.
    Murdock wrote:
    I think he would make a good Bond villain.
    Well I don't about that. He may be to rough.
    Please don't think of him as a villain. He can play The Equalizers assistant Micky Kostmayer which was played by Keith Szarabajka in TV series. That all I can think of. Although you said he was to young for the Equalizer role.
  • If you follow Brett Easton Ellis on twitter he reckons Bale would be perfect as Christian Grey...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If you follow Brett Easton Ellis on twitter he reckons Bale would be perfect as Christian Grey...

That man is repulsive.
    Well there the movie version of MacGyver. I suggested Christian Bale name in that. Well he have to a bit humour. Reason why because he do without a gun. Because that Character you never wanted to touch a gun. I put a new post on that movie soon.
  • Where to after Batman?

Perhaps this would help

bond_24__the_phoenix_endgame_by_jackchristian-d5h3v2p.jpg
    How about casting Christian Bale for the Death Wish role?
  • I still think Bale would make a good Bond villain. He's played Heroes most notably Batman and John Connor but I still remember his chilling performance in American Psycho. He can do creepy / evil. He would make a good psychical match up to Bond as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I still think Bale would make a good Bond villain. He's played Heroes most notably Batman and John Connor but I still remember his chilling performance in American Psycho. He can do creepy / evil. He would make a good psychical match up to Bond as well.
    I agree. Since he has no interest in playing Bond, a villain would be a great role for him to take on.
    I think that Bale would be the death of the 007 franchise, his acting is not my cup of tea as his Batman outings were a bit mweh. imho.