Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ORION BY WALT SIMONSON BOOK ONE
    Collects issues 1-11 of Simonson s Orion run, but also some other related stuff of his from the 1990s and 2000s.
    Orion-25b.jpg
    Never read any of the New Gods material earlier. Simonson was the draw for me here, as I love his work.
  • "Never read any of the New Gods material earlier"??? Kirby is King. Simonson does a better job than some others who have attempted to continue the Apocalypse/New Genesis storyline post-Kirby... but The King re-defined comics many times during his astonishing career , especially his work from 1940 to around 1975, and nowhere more powerfully than here. Forever People, New Gods, Mr. Miracle, and Jimmy Olsen are all strongly recommended. "Kirby says, Don't Ask -- just Buy It!"
    BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD -THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL 2
    This is the heaviest comic book I have ever owned. Collects issues 110-156 (1973-1979). Most of this is by Bob Haney and Jim Aparo, one of my favourite bat teams of all time. Read much of this before, some of it in black and white and translated, so it s still a new experience. Magnificent stuff.
    3b505dcd82e9f25d40219264058e8c25.jpg
    THE METABARONS-FIRST CYCLE by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Juan Gimenez.
    Sci-fi classic from the 90s. Incal spin-off. This edition collects the first 8 books.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD -THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL 2
    This is the heaviest comic book I have ever owned. Collects issues 110-156 (1973-1979). Most of this is by Bob Haney and Jim Aparo, one of my favourite bat teams of all time. Read much of this before, some of it in black and white and translated, so it s still a new experience. Magnificent stuff.
    3b505dcd82e9f25d40219264058e8c25.jpg

@Thunderfinger

I'm glad you enjoy Aparo too. I am a huge fan of the work Aparo did with Mike Barr on Batman and the Outsiders, one of my favourite books from the pre-Dark Knight era. The art is detailed and "colourful" (even in black and white, if that makes any sense.) Everything is vibrant and dynamic, yet not messy or chaotic (unlike some titles that are released today.) The biggest strength of Aparo, in my opinion, is that he can convey real emotion with the eyes of his masked--I say again, MASKED--characters. Though mostly white holes in black masks, they tell a story. I can't even draw an apple! If I recall correctly, he was a self-taught artist even. Nothing but respect for Jim Aparo.
    @DarthDimi, Aparo was at the height of his creative powers in the mid 70s. He lost it a little in the late 70s, I think. One thing I noticed in these stories is that the moon is always full, just as it is in all Neal Adams stories, or in all the Phantom stories for that matter, at least the ones by Sy Barry . I think Alex Raymond also drew nothing but full moons in his Flash Gordon stories.

With Batman it makes some sort of sense, as they were monthly editions, and all the crazy stuff probably happened during the Full Moon phase.
    @DarthDimi, Aparo was at the height of his creative powers in the mid 70s. He lost it a little in the late 70s, I think. One thing I noticed in these stories is that the moon is always full, just as it is in all Neal Adams stories, or in all the Phantom stories for that matter, at least the ones by Sy Barry . I think Alex Raymond also drew nothing but full moons in his Flash Gordon stories.

With Batman it makes some sort of sense, as they were monthly editions, and all the crazy stuff probably happened during the Full Moon phase.

I have a vague memory of someone explaining to me that a full moon adds logic to why the panels aren't pitch black, even when stuff happens at night. But I can't exactly say who it was. I believe it was on one of Kevin Smith's Fatman On Batman podcasts, but I could be mistaken.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I have a vague memory of someone explaining to me that a full moon adds logic to why the panels aren't pitch black, even when stuff happens at night. But I can't exactly say who it was. I believe it was on one of Kevin Smith's Fatman On Batman podcasts, but I could be mistaken.

There's also just something visually appealing about a full moon. It's dramatic and evocative. You'll often find them in animated films (Disney, anime). The second most common moon phase in animation would probably be an ultra-slim crescent.
    Yes, of course it makes sense from an aesthetic standpoint. We all enjoy a full moon the most visually also in the real world.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 2,896
    Aparo was at the height of his creative powers in the mid 70s. He lost it a little in the late 70s, I think.

True, and unfortunately his work further declined and grew stiff with age. It didn't help that in his later years he wasn't allowed to ink his own pencils. When I started regularly purchasing Batman comics during the Knightfall era I was disappointed to open an issue with an eye-catching Kelley Jones cover and find stodgy interiors by Aparo and the inker of the week. But I realized how good he could be after going through his work on The Spectre.

Here's a stump-the-band question: are there any comic book artists who didn't decline after hitting late middle age? Most of their art tended to grow mannered to the point of self-parody. Neal Adams's current work is a good example.
    There are exceptions, such as Hermann Huppen, Francois Boucq, Hal Foster, Alex Toth just to name a few, but they are indeed exceptions.
    JOHN CARTER WARLORD OF MARS
    John_+Carter_+Warlord_+of_+Mars_+Annual_%233_01_fc.jpg
    I remember reading this in the late 70s and liking it. Just got hold of a couple of issues. Not great, but fun enough.
    KI2QJ1xl_2007191642511gpaiadd.png
    I remember reading this in the late 70s and liking it. Just got hold of a couple of issues. Not great, but fun enough.

I never read the books. I have seen the film and was only faintly intrigued. With that in mind, would you recommend these comics, @Thunderfinger?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I never read the books. I have seen the film and was only faintly intrigued. With that in mind, would you recommend these comics, @Thunderfinger?

If you like Tarzan comics from the same era, you may like these.

Sadly I am not particularly familiar with those;
    edited September 2021 Posts: 45,489

Sadly I am not particularly familiar with those;

It s like a mix of Tarzan and Star Wars.

Currently reading Prince Valiant from 1971/72. This is where John Cullen Murphy takes over the pencilling.
    s-l300.jpg
    THE FLINTSTONES (aka Familien Flint)
    Came over a mag I had as akid, that also features Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla, The Jetsons, Top Cat and Yogi Bear. Had a great time seeing this again.
    40.jpg
    Jack Kirby s 2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY.
    R.bbbf9231d6091830dffb2a340ba0909f?rik=c36ySh%2byS46yYw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcdn1-www.superherohype.com%2fassets%2fuploads%2f2015%2f11%2f2001feature.jpg&ehk=hq8y5Ou6EAdeMbx%2bCpGqNpimCHYkpMB5aIF%2bml1D2zs%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    10 issues of this came out in the late 70s, based on concepts from the film. Unfortunately I couldn t get hold of no. 7-9.
    THE PHANTOM-various Lee Falk/Sy Barry stories from the 60s.
    Phantom_D145.jpg
    Dart.jpg
    R.8e66f4dd1d09ef39f827abec088ac180?rik=%2bJ6Ms5q05Z6Zmg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.phantomwiki.org%2fimages%2fthumb%2f3%2f3b%2fTitle_frameup.jpg%2f300px-Title_frameup.jpg&ehk=vC1nT7Jol6X1kKcBZ679UHef%2fjYzPfcrsev6qmhZsco%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

BEFORE THE INCAL by Jodorowsky & Janjetov.

More great stuff.
    METAMORPHOSIS ODYSSEY by Jim P. Starlin
    b1624422939022the_price.jpg

A different Marvel adventure from the start of the 80s.
    PRINCE VALIANT by Foster and Murphy. Fantagraphics Book 19: 1973-1974
    R.c9e8f6979e5c5171d82f2dd1002b2094?rik=GQBTHBP7iQ8jiQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fprincevaliant.marianobayona.com%2fpvmenomonee2.jpg&ehk=mFfeE%2fOLz%2b7avFkms19b%2b5rrOBmQiQRUm3UpU7O9TRU%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Pretty excellent.
    THE SONG OF BERNADETTE by Franz Werfel and Hal Foster (1943)
    800?cb=20180828180128&path-prefix=fr
    Got me some issues of old Norwegian SKREKKMAGASINET (The Horror Magazine) from the mid 70s. Not great art, but enjoyable enough.
    IMG_7332-scaled.jpg
  • METAMORPHOSIS ODYSSEY by Jim P. Starlin

There's a reason it's a "different Marvel adventure": it's not a Marvel book. Take a look at the colophon: it was published by Eclipse.
    METAMORPHOSIS ODYSSEY by Jim P. Starlin

There's a reason it's a "different Marvel adventure": it's not a Marvel book. Take a look at the colophon: it was published by Eclipse.
    The first fourteen issues were all first published in Epic Illustrated, a Marvel magazine, in 1980-81. The Price , the second part, was indeed published by Eclipse, and the third (Dreadstar) was back to Marvel again.
  • METAMORPHOSIS ODYSSEY by Jim P. Starlin

The first fourteen issues were all first published in Epic Illustrated, a Marvel magazine, in 1980-81. The Price , the second part, was indeed published by Eclipse, and the third (Dreadstar) was back to Marvel again.

The point being, it was Jim Starlin's property, not Marvel's. Epic existed to publish material that was CREATOR OWNED. I have no idea why Starlin chose to take this GN to Eclipse, but the fact remains he was able to. It's not "a Marvel adventure." It's owned & copyright by Jim Starlin. On this particular installment the Marvel brand is nowhere to be found.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,564
    Oh, AND: from 1986-1989, Dreadstar was published by First Comics...but still, owned and operated by Jim Starlin. Once again, it's not a Marvel comic, and you shouldn't try to identify it as such. Starlin has worked for/with a variety of publishers throughout his career, from DC to Star*Reach, to Malibu, to Valiant, to Dark Horse and more. Yes, a great deal of his work has been published by Marvel -- but by no means all of it, and in this case, you're being careless in attributing his work to that company. It ain't theirs, it's his. Credit where credit is due. Credit the creator here: Jim Starlin, published (in this case) by Eclipse.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 45,489
    Well, most of what I read of it was published by Marvel, and I did make clear that it was made by Jim Starlin, but I guess that somehow is wrong or not good enough anyway.

As for now, more Prince Valiant (1975-1976)
    THE FABULOUS FURRY FREAK BROTHERS by Gilbert Shelton.
    A compendium, have read much of this before, in a Norwegian anarchist paper in the 80s and 90s. Funny stuff.
    2691521-fffb4.jpg