Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, I'm pleased to read you gave the book an honest chance. Turns a bit wacko in later books, but also more interesting for a Batman fan like myself.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope I can get hold of all six. Still not finished with the first.
    Moore (and others) get more "weird" in the middle of the entire run but something tells you that won't be a problem for you, @Thunderfinger. :-)
    @DarthDimi, or others. Have you seen the 1982 film? I have not.
    Oh believe me, I have. And its sequel. :)
    And I have NOTHING good to say about them, not even for Adrienne Barbeau's pair.
    I thought as much. Time for a remake?
    I hope they can do it. I rather liked seeing Swamp Thing in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, no matter how small a part he had in that movie.
    250px-Simpsons_Comics_236.jpg
    There are two stories. The first one is pretty bad and boring, but the second is a good one and great fun.
    Splinter Cell Echoes.
    Some old Donald Duck magazines from the 60s and 70s. Love it.
    BATMAN: NOËL

Lee Bermejo wrote and illustrated this Batman take on A Christmas Carol. It's full of wonderful images and near perfect, often sexy character design. I like the story in this graphic novel very much. "Cool" is how I would describe this.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Some old Donald Duck magazines from the 60s and 70s. Love it.

Was that still Carl Barks?

Always some of the Old Master in there as well.
    ASTERIX LE GAULOIS by Goscinny and Uderzo (1961)
    01fr.jpg
    The first Asterix album. I used to own the whole otiginal series, but in my youth I decided to keep only my favourites. Thankfully they are now republished.
    League_of_Extraordinary_Gentleman_volume_1_cover.jpg
    Must be the fourth or fifth time I am reading this.
    258607.jpg?7935103591153559753
    Or Trois Hommes sont passes, the third album from 1976, by Derib. I never cared for this series as a kid, but I appreciate it more now. A different kind of western, and a different kind of hero.
    THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN III-CENTURY
    lxg1969_60.jpg
    Didided into three parts. Whereas the first two volumes take place in 1898, this takes place in 1910, 1969 and 2009. Some trippy business going on in 69 as you can see. Michael Caine is in it. Only my second read, but as with the other volumes I am sure there will be plenty more.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894
    After being a fan of the true Dark Avenger, The Shadow, for about 20 years, first of the 1994 film (which I still love) and later the comics, I felt that I was long overdue to seek out the pulp era. I recently got hold of a copy of this...

19652262.jpg

... the 2nd volume reprint, that contains two of the pulps: The Chinese Disks (1934) and Malmordo (1946) as well as two introductions, and a Walter B. Gibson bio. I'm only a few chapters into The Chinese Disks, but I feel like I have discovered a new world that I want to explore more of. A glossary of 1930's American slang would have been helpful, but that is where Google has helped.
    Rereading some early Norwegian Classics Illustrated. Some of it is really good, some is just weird. Like this one:
    illustrerte-klassikere-1958-nr-2-kvalitet-gd.jpg
    After being a fan of the true Dark Avenger, The Shadow, for about 20 years, first of the 1994 film (which I still love) and later the comics, I felt that I was long overdue to seek out the pulp era. I recently got hold of a copy of this...

19652262.jpg

... the 2nd volume reprint, that contains two of the pulps: The Chinese Disks (1934) and Malmordo (1946) as well as two introductions, and a Walter B. Gibson bio. I'm only a few chapters into The Chinese Disks, but I feel like I have discovered a new world that I want to explore more of. A glossary of 1930's American slang would have been helpful, but that is where Google has helped.

They are awesome and I have quite a few of this reprinted series and they have not chosen to re-edit the written story in order to facilitate for the more PC crowd. These books/magazines are so much fun.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Received this today. The graphic novel of the first Creepshow movie, now back in print. Had to order it from USA but came today, earlier than expected. Looking forward to reading it over the weekend.

[img][/img]_20170516_204506_zpstiuyftdq.jpg
    THE SHADOW #1 - Coming in August!
    (Writer) Si Spurrier (Art) Daniel HDR (Cover) Kenneth Rocafort, Mike Kaluta, Brandon Peterson, Neal Adams, Tyler Kirkham

For the better part of a century the Shadow’s sinister laughter brought the chill of fear to evil-doers — but in our modern times, the streets of Manhattan have gone largely silent. But he is not forgotten. Not by the people he’s saved. Mary Jerez, is one of those people. The Shadow saved her from a horrifying school shooting — Mary knows all too well what evil lurks in the hearts of men. So when a horribly burnt man — incredibly strong and fierce, despite his terrible injuries— arrives under her care as a resident at the hospital – she believes she knows who he is, too. Is this mysterious man actually the Shadow — and with Mary’s help, will evil-doers again know what it means to fear his terrible justice?

Si Spurrier (X-Force, X-Men: Legacy, Judge Dredd) and Daniel HDR (Superman, Cyborg) bring the pulp icon into modern day in a tale full of deadly intrigue, gun-blazing action, and a study of the nature of evil!

Full Color, 32 pages, $3.99, On sale August 9.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is anybody here familiar with vintage Black Panther? I'm doing some ordering on Amazon to finish my collection of Fleming's novels, and I'm planning on picking up some comics I'm interested in while doing it. I've been meaning to get into the first appearances of Black Panther for a long time now, urged on by his coming use in the Marvel films, and wanted to know what people would recommend?

I've been eyeing this collection in particular:

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Epic-Collection-1973-1976-ebook/dp/B01LWAH7I8/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496680845&sr=1-8&keywords=Black+Panther

It contains T'Challa's first appearance and also the famous Jungle Action run of Donald McGregor dating from 1973 to 76. I've heard a lot of great things about McGregor's take, and the comparisons of his work to literature meeting comic books is exactly up my alley with pages full of dialogue and lore building. Has anybody read these issues of Panther, and if so, is it a good place to start? I want to get into the new issues of Panther as well, as they look great, but I want to start at the beginning for now.

This is probably a question for the likes of @doubleoego or @Thunderfinger, and maybe @DarthDimi. Thanks in advance, gents.
    Alas, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I've never read any Black Panther yet. Came across him in other comics though.
    Same here.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just picked up Die Hard: Year One for a bargain price of $2. I can't wait to read it. :)
    ALIENS DEFIANCE

adefn1p1.jpg

The first 11 issues of what I understand to be a 12 issue comic (meaning the final issue will be released in a few days or even hours depending on where you live) had me seriously hooked last night. I started collecting them last year and forced myself to wait until I had a more or less complete series in my hands before diving in. Smart move, because this book rocks!

Dark Horse's Aliens comics are usually very good but this miniseries really stands out for me as one of the best. The plot is simple, the horror and the action amazing. The art is absolutely stunning!

Taking place some 17 years since the movie ALIEN, this book pairs a physically weakened colonial marine to a synthetic with a self-programmed existentialist philosophy. Meanwhile, Wayland-Yutani wants to get its hands on an alien specimen and sets out to track down its rogue employees.

I'm really looking forward to the book's conclusion. This is excellent stuff!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Good lord, the humans look just as soulless as the xenomorphs.
    Good lord, the humans look just as soulless as the xenomorphs.

That is, if these are humans, @Agent007391... I shan't say more. :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I suspect foul play afoot here.
    Continuing my rereading of the early Classics Illustrated (the Norwegian editions)853383.jpg