Nolan and Bond vs. Mendes and Bond

edited July 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 21
anyone else find all these Nolan fanboys/supporters clamoring at the prospect of just how great a nolan bond film will be kind of annoying. Why does no one give Mendes any respect. I think Mendes is infinitely better for Bond than Nolan is. I will take Road to Perdition over Inception for Bond influence anyday. Nolan as much as I respect him is not very good with action and even weaker with characters, he is great at spectacle however. Although i do admit each one of his films has been getting better and better in those regards.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I refuse to think of a Nolan versus Mendes competition, rather I think of them as two different filmmakers with their very own, personalised style. A Nolan Bond film would be different from a Mendes Bond film, I can imagine, and thus it intrigues me to see the first now that we already have the prospect of seeing the second.

Oh, and I'm a Nolan fan but I don't have a magical future telling device that enables me to be certain about the outcome of a Nolan or Mendes Bond. Any statements regarding N > M or M > N are at this point silly as hell. Let us first see what Mendes brings to the table and maybe, who knows, in the future we'll be able to also judge a Nolan Bond. However, let's not jump to conclusions just yet.
    Well with the current situation in which Nolans' movie still has to be released as does Mendes' movie people like to fantasise and that is their perogative. I doubt that EON is ready to relieve too much power to one director, but one can still think he would be awesome. I personally would gladly not see it happen.
    I don´t think either of them has so far done anything that would suggest his suitability for Bond.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Any statements regarding N > M or M > N are at this point silly as hell.
    Nuff said.

• boldfinger wrote:
    I don´t think either of them has so far done anything that would suggest his suitability for Bond.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Any statements regarding N > M or M > N are at this point silly as hell.
    Nuff said.

To the original poster - you do know that we're allowed to like both, right?

One of the things that I always find strange about internet discussions is the idea that fandom is a zero-sum game - you must dislike a different director/star/movie as much as you like another one so there can be some sort of balance. Putting down a different director doesn't make another one look any better; their merits are independent of each other's. I remember having a similar discussion on The Onion's AV Club page and there was a gimmick poster that we used to love. Whenever someone would say something along the lines of "Well, I think that there are things to like about both of them" this poster would comment "No! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" (a line from Highlander IIRC).

Can't we all just get along? ;-)

• edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    To the original poster - you do know that we're allowed to like both, right?

One of the things that I always find strange about internet discussions is the idea that fandom is a zero-sum game - you must dislike a different director/star/movie as much as you like another one so there can be some sort of balance.

Great post. I've been saying this for a while whenever the Bourne vs Bond debate comes up, you can enjoy both.

Anyway, I thought I'd never seen one of Mendes' films before, but then I found out he directed Jarhead, which I loved. I've seen Nolans Batman films and Inception, and loved them, Inception had alot of moments that I thought were really Bondanian.

But like others have already said, we can't judge which would make a better Bond film until we actually see Bond films from both of them. Mendes is getting his turn, I'm hoping that Nolan (or, and I know this will never ever happen, Tarantino), will get Bond 24.
    How about we see what Mendes delivers first? From what we have all seen so far? It promises alot? So i am happy to wait, and seeing as Nolan is not in anyway involved with Bond other than being a fan? I cannot see how you can get an accurate answers anyway?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Although I'm undoubtedly a Nolan fan more than Mendes I am chomping at the bit to see what Sam will deliver on October 26th, I was a little sceptical at his appointment to start with but with all the stills and the recent teaser trailer with also the calibre of the cast I think he's going to do fine.

People seem adverse to Chris doing a Bond film as they feel he'll deliver something closer to The Batman films or Inception, I don't think anyone can assume what he'll do, he might well shock all the haters with a far more lighter affair than expected, yes OHMSS is his fav Bond but I wouldn't assume he's going to give us dark and gloomy because of his previous work although despite his recent comments I would be surprised if he did get a chance to make a Bond film.

As for Skyfall Mendes has name checked CN in interviews and said how much he was impressed with Nolan's work on the Bat films and Inception and the tone he thinks was just right, I'm not saying SF will be as heavy as those films but the hope for a light hearted romp maybe find some disappointed, I don't think SF will be much lighter in tone than CR with maybe the gag quota upped and the inclusion of gadgets.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    i can't comprehend or wrap my head around a Nolan vs Mendes Bond movie yet... simply because Nolan hasn't done a Bond movie yet... we can all sit here and wonder/daydream what a Nolan Bond movie would look like, but until that happens, all we have is pure speculation...

we are getting our first look at a Mendes Bond movie this fall.. one that none of us knows how it will turn out... so far though, it looks extremely promising..
    Shardlake wrote:
    ..I'm not saying SF will be as heavy as those films but the hope for a light hearted romp maybe find some disappointed, I don't think SF will be much lighter in tone than CR with maybe the gag quota upped and the inclusion of gadgets...

the tone of Craig's Bond was set with CR and QOS.. i don't picture them deviating too far from it in his run... they will continue to play to Craig's dramatic strengths, and anyone who pictures a Moore style romp, or even a TND style extravaganza i think will be severely disappointed from here on out during Craig's run.......... tho, i've been proven wrong before (DAD)..
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Please no Nolan Bond movies. I don't want him turning Bond into some preachy character with him and his villains talking in psychobabble about heroes and villains and alot of other corny stuff. Don't get be wrong I loved his Batman films but he's not meant for Bond.

Plus he'd use the same actors he always does and we'd have a Bond movie with Tom Hardy, Michael Caine, Marion Collitard, etc. Good actors but how many times are we gonna see these people together?

Mendes is a fine choice. Let's support him.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm very much enthusiastic about what Mendes will bring to Bond, and while I had my doubts at the beginning, the teaser has distilled and grievances I may have had. I do think Skyfall will be a damn fine film.

However, I'm extremely curious as what a Nolan Bond film may be like. A lot of people seem to think he'd be very strict in terms of his style and approach to a Bond film, and that it'd be too similar to his Inception & Batman blockbusters. With him being such a big Bond fan (allegedly) I don't think we'd have to worry about it too much. I think he'd keep the tone very much in tune with any Bond we've had in the past 20 years, for better (GE & CR) or for worse (DAD, highly unlikely with Nolan). One thing I've always loved about Nolan is his stance on special effects, stunts, and graphics. He tries to do everything for real, and prefers using models to CGI, always a plus for a Bond director.

So, I wouldn't give Nolan a definite yes, but not a No either. He'd be intruiging. If Mendes can adapt to the scale and style of a Bond movie, why couldn't Nolan?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    HASEROT wrote:
    the tone of Craig's Bond was set with CR and QOS.. i don't picture them deviating too far from it in his run... they will continue to play to Craig's dramatic strengths, and anyone who pictures a Moore style romp, or even a TND style extravaganza i think will be severely disappointed from here on out during Craig's run.......... tho, i've been proven wrong before (DAD)..

EON will change the tone of the films the day the general public will want a new trend of more comical films, or whatever style they'll want at the time.

HASEROT wrote:

EON will change the tone of the films the day the general public will want a new trend of more comical films, or whatever style they'll want at the time.

Even if they get a bit more light-hearted I highly doubt Craig's films will ever go the direction of Moore's or Brosnan's.
    What a joke of a thread.

Simply because I support Nolan doesn't mean I wouldn't like a Mendes film. I don't only like one director...

How naive of the original author. Let's all grow up..
    HASEROT wrote:

At least they should to keep the series going. Connery was a hit, Lazenby's love story was unexpected by audiences, so it was soon turned around. Moore was a hit and look how long he was around. Then they tried going serious, and ended that when it wasn't up to expectation. Brosnan was high grossing a praised during his tenure, and they kept him around. Now serious Bond is trending so Craig will stick around for a while longer.

If Eon knows anything, it's how to adapt.
  • Frankly, I'm not even sure if a Nolan Bond movie would be that different from a Mendes Bond movie. Even visually Skyfall looks like a Christopher Nolan movie. I think they'd bring similar things to the table.
  • At this point the debate is a Mendes Bond (of which nobody has seen the completed product -- because there is no finished product to see) versus a Nolan Bond (which hasn't happened yet).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    HASEROT wrote:

i dont doubt that... but Craig's strength is the edge he brings to the character - so tonally, i dont see a dramatic shift in the style of his Bond movies.. and i know that just eats you up.... the reality is, is that he'll continue to make Bond movies until he decides to walk away - or until his films start losing money.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Nolan is a far more obvious choise to direct Bond. Mendes was a really random choice. That said I am very imterested to see what Mendes comes up with.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    I like both directors a lot, I have no problem looking forward to a Mendes Bond or a Nolan Bond.
    I am one of those who thinks that Nolan is the foremost cinematic genious of our generation (for blockbusters that is). I am also interested in the Bond saga and feel that the story of Bond has huge potential. However, it could be that although Nolan and Bond are both highly interesting it is not sure that they would be together. Chocolate is nice, steak is nice but I would not eat them together. Martin Campbell will probably never get recognized as a great film-maker but his Bond-films are in my opinion among the absolute best there is (for CR, the best). I am not especially fond of Mendes earlier work but from what I can judge from the trailer it looks like CR (hopefully) will be surpassed as the best Bond ever. I have faith in Mendes and I hope that Nolan will direct the next one. It is better to explode than fade away as my friend Kurgan used to put it.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Getafix wrote:
    Nolan is a far more obvious choise to direct Bond. Mendes was a really random choice. That said I am very imterested to see what Mendes comes up with.

Especially random considering how far out he was plucked for the job. Almost late 2010 early 2011 if not sooner! I wonder what he did to get on their radar.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Especially random considering how far out he was plucked for the job. Almost late 2010 early 2011 if not sooner! I wonder what he did to get on their radar.

He's a friend of Craig so presumably Dc was heavily involved in bringing him on board.

The stark truth is that the job offers were probably not piling up for Mendes. His recent films have not been particularly successful. Bond came along at just the right moment for him.