OHMSS REMAKE DIRECTED BY CHRIS NOLAN

Comments

• I'd be open to a remake of any of the Roger Moore Bond films for obvious reasons but OHMSS should never be remade or adapted again.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Ahh, we're back to an Inception debate, are we?

No we will not mass debate on Inception.
  • I don't think Christopher Nolan would be a lightweight with the emotional side. I mean John Glenn did a solid job with LTK and , with all due respect, his resume isn't as good as Nolan's.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,921
    SaintMark wrote:
    Memento was more a thriller with a gimmick, Inception was in the end a powerhouse of CGI. Both managed to hide its emotional content very well. It was more matter over content in the end. EVen his Insomnia is so-so, I do prefer the original better.

I do like "The Prestige" which was mostly a conflict between men and in the end about a conflict inside a man. Bale and Caine are both in greater form than in both Batman movies so far.

All imho.

I agree with you. I think Nolan's true interests are more in sizzle than in steak. Take Inception. Dazzling visuals but relatively little screen time spent on character development. Do we really know anything about Ariadne, for example? The emotional content is mostly thanks to the amazing Marion Cotillard, who (shades of Diana Rigg!) invests her scenes with a gravitas that the rest of the movie otherwise lacks (except of course the two Michael Caine scenes--he's awesome too).

So no, I don't want a Nolan OHMSS remake.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    No Bond film should be remade. End of. At least that's how I see it. I'd love a Nolan Bond film but they should let him think up his own great original story for it.

I agree.
    Hell, OHMSS is a classic the way it turned out. don't mess with a classic. Some of you may dislike Lazenby and prefer Brosnan, but lets face it he and Rigg had some real on screen chemistry. He and his lady actually "clicked". Something lacking in Brosnan's final three films.
    I don't want to turn this into a bash Brosnan post. so back on point.

HELL NO. NO REMAKES. PERIOD.
    No Bond film should ever be remade. I'm fine with adaptations, like movie to game, but no film.

I really want to see OHMSS made by NaughtyDog, but following the movie and/or book directly.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not interested in Nolan re-making OHMSS but if EON ever wants a chance of playing in the billion dollar ball park then Nolan is the director that would give them their best shot.

He brings his film in under budget and he prefers practical effects over C.G.I, those wanting a return to the big battle type climaxes and the real epic feel, Nolan would deliver.

No people who like Rog Bond are unlikely to be pleased with this and I must disagree it's down to perception I always found both BB & TDK having plenty of emotion and for me Inception has enough although my personal favourites are Memento & The Prestige.

I
  • Didn't Brosnan state that he wanted to do a remake of OHMSS at one point? IIRC this was before TWINE was released because when I saw that film I thought "Oh, he managed to get a tragic romance shoe-horned in."

Mind you, he did also state in one interview that he wanted to be in the "last" Bond film where Bond actually died saving the world, but it seemed to me that he was joking - a point that was lost on the interviewer (or he just chose to willfully ignore it to make it more sensationalistic).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No matter how big a Nolan fan I am, I don't want OHMSS remade. You don't remake perfection. Period.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Correction, one can't remake perfection.
  • No Bond film should be remade. OHMSS was a masterpiece! I though Peter R. Hunt did a great job directing OHMSS. Chris Nolan is a great director & has directed some good films, but I don't want to see OHMSS get a remake. (If it was being considered)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,782
    They won't do it. Craig has had his heartbreaking film or films...don't want him down that route. But after Skyfall where do they go?

Which brings me to Nolan. He is the only director that would have the golden balls to do it. But his tonal directions are too emtional for Bond now. We've reached our zenith with that sort of tone with skyfall. The future has to be bright for Bond.

I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Barber, Gareth Evans or Robert Schwentke have a go for a James Bond lite.

Ohmss is a classic BOnd film of its time and can't be touched ever. Apart from dubbing GL's voice back again and editing the lawyer's office sequence which is bordering on tedium. So over dramatic for what, it always bugs me.

• ....the poor guy who has to direct the next Bond film after Nolan.....
    They won't do it. Craig has had his heartbreaking film or films...don't want him down that route. But after Skyfall where do they go?

Which brings me to Nolan. He is the only director that would have the golden balls to do it. But his tonal directions are too emtional for Bond now. We've reached our zenith with that sort of tone with skyfall. The future has to be bright for Bond.

I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Barber, Gareth Evans or Robert Schwentke have a go for a James Bond lite.

Ohmss is a classic BOnd film of its time and can't be touched ever. Apart from dubbing GL's voice back again and editing the lawyer's office sequence which is bordering on tedium. So over dramatic for what, it always bugs me

Strange i've always been a fan of sequence,.rather watch that on loop than tnd, twine &.dad.

• Nolan can definitely get Bond an Oscar nomination if he directs one. This would also be personal foe him since Inception didn't win for his hard work before.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    I would love Nolan to direct a Bond film based off of Gardner or Benson's Bond continuity. I don't think OHMSS need a remake, it's still a piece of art from today's view.
    Despite being a big Nolan fan, TDKR was one of his worst films, I can't say I'm that fussed him Bond, I'd personally like to see him have a rest from blockbusters.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    i dont want any remakes please , but LOVE the thought of dans bond falling in love again after vesper and tie it loosely into OHMSS.
    the beautiful girl , locales , cinematography , snow , skiing , aston and maybe a villain that could perhaps stick around for more than one adventure (not blofeld thou).
    also a hauntingly beautifully score would be in order , get newman back i say (he can do way better!).
    have a stand alone bond film and director for 24 and then go with this for 25 with mendes at the helm.
    NOPE TO THIS THREAD
  • I for one do not favor the idea of remakes. However, if they were indeed to do it, Nolan would certainly be the best choice to tackle OHMSS. In many ways I'd be genuinely curious to see what he handles it, albeit not curious enough to desire it.
    do not remake any of the bond films. OHMSS was perfect and one of the best movies in the series. Lazenby was great in some scenes(i dont think even connery can pull off some of the stuff lazenby did),lazenby and riggs great chemistry,telly savalas was great, great action scenes,great score whats there not to love
    Of course, one day the books will be made into 'new' films. EON will someday fail or be wound up or bought out or whatever. The rights will be bought by someone with deep pockets (i.e. a coporation run by artless money-makers) and a major player in whatever the movie business has become by that stage will rub their hands and attempt to turn out a series of lucrative (but probably forgettable) crowd-pleasers until they screw up and the rights get sold again for someone else to have a go. And so on...

Hopefully not in my lifetime.
    mdo007 wrote:
    I would love Nolan to direct a Bond film based off of Gardner or Benson's Bond continuity. I don't think OHMSS need a remake, it's still a piece of art from today's view.

Like he did with his Batman? He needed to have somebody die on his movie to achieve that.

:D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Like he did with his Batman? He needed to have somebody die on his movie to achieve that.

Oh please. Heath's performance is legendary no matter if he is alive or dead. But I expect that kind of comment from you. 8-|
    SaintMark wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Oh please. Heath's performance is legendary no matter if he is alive or dead. But I expect that kind of comment from you. 8-|

Heaths performance is the best thing about the movie I absolutely agree, worthy of an oscar?- Can you honestly say that you believe he would have gotten an oscar for the part of the Joker had he lived?? I have seen better psychopaths in movies and they failed to achieve Oscar recognition. Heath dying and the commotion about his role might have forced H'woods hand far more than you would care to actually accept.

And for the record my kind of comment does not come from some blind fanboy that fails to see that there are far better movies out there than Nolan has ever made.

SaintMark wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Yeah I know he's hilarious, if only we could get the level of Ledger's performance for Bond film, Silva was very good but not as iconic as the Joker, that performance tops any Bond villain.
  • Anon wrote:
    Of course, one day the books will be made into 'new' films. EON will someday fail or be wound up or bought out or whatever. The rights will be bought by someone with deep pockets (i.e. a coporation run by artless money-makers) and a major player in whatever the movie business has become by that stage will rub their hands and attempt to turn out a series of lucrative (but probably forgettable) crowd-pleasers until they screw up and the rights get sold again for someone else to have a go. And so on...

Hopefully not in my lifetime.

No matter how cool a movie is when it first came out, and no matter how well it ages it eventually becomes so "dated" to the general audience that studios think a "remake" is necessary to get the new generation to watch it. Also, the new generations of audience have no relationship to the original so there's no sense of betrayal by remaking it.

I think that within my lifetime - I hope to live another 40 years - we'll see remakes of Bond films. Will they be more faithful versions of the books or updated versions of the original films to be more relevant to, say, audiences in 2050? Who knows?

This reminds me of a friend's son who was about 12 when JJ Abram's version of Star Trek came out. He was incredibly devoted to the film and his Mom told me how much he loved Star Trek and Kirk. When I asked which was his favourite episode of the original series she burst out laughing - she said that the original series was as uncool and lame to him as a 1930s serial with robot costumes made out of cardboard boxes would be to us. Times change...

No matter how cool a movie is when it first came out, and no matter how well it ages it eventually becomes so "dated" to the general audience that studios think a "remake" is necessary to get the new generation to watch it. Also, the new generations of audience have no relationship to the original so there's no sense of betrayal by remaking it.

I think that within my lifetime - I hope to live another 40 years - we'll see remakes of Bond films. Will they be more faithful versions of the books or updated versions of the original films to be more relevant to, say, audiences in 2050? Who knows?

This reminds me of a friend's son who was about 12 when JJ Abram's version of Star Trek came out. He was incredibly devoted to the film and his Mom told me how much he loved Star Trek and Kirk. When I asked which was his favourite episode of the original series she burst out laughing - she said that the original series was as uncool and lame to him as a 1930s serial with robot costumes made out of cardboard boxes would be to us. Times change...
    All that you say is true - except I would argue with your first remark. Think about Casablanca. Seems every few years there's a bit of press about someone considering a remake or sequel, but nothing transpires. I put that down to the enduring appeal of the original, in that no film maker's confident of bettering it and there seemingly being no appetite in the cinema-going audience for anyone to try.

But as you say, times change so eventually I guess we will have Casablanca 2050

• Stanley Baker O.H.M.S.S.
    What I would like to see happen with OHMSS is a little tweaking thanks to modern technology. Eliminate the sound of tires squealing on sand and the fast motion shots that plague most of the early films. Even with a few technical issues, this is a great film.