William Boyd discusses new Bond novel

124»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Bounine wrote:
    Yeah, he did a good job with M and there were many other things I enjoyed about CB. I just didn't like what he did with Bond. Plus, we were never really invited into his thought process or feelings. He is closer to one dimensional in this book. Also, the way Deaver would keep jumping to the end of a scene for suspense didn't do it for me. I think it works better following a conventional narrative as Fleming and the rest of the continuation authors pursued.

Yeah, here's Deaver's "Bond", as if we would even recognize our dear old 007:

*Bond and Ophelia are at a dinner. Things are heating up, or so Bond thinks*

Ophelia: Hey, James. I know this is a nice romantic dinner we're having and you probably expect to shag me after the check, but...You know how I told you my husband and I were having a rough go of it and we were taking a break? Well...ah...break over. Isn't that great?!

Bond: Oh...ah...yeah, that is great. Well, I am really pissed- urhm...I mean happy for you, and wish you nothing but happy health. This seems like bloody horrible timing, but I am going to completely accept your decision and not sleep with you unlike my original creator would wish. Good day my darling...

*Bond returns to hotel room*

:((

RING RING

Bond: Hello? Oh, hi Bheka. Yeah, I would love to have dinner. I'll be there in a bit.

*Bond and Bheka eat, then share a moment*

Bheka: Alright, I have a flight soon and can't miss it. Bye, Bond.

Bond: Well, you don't have to go.

Bheka: Yeah, I do. I just told you that. I am needed back in Cape Town. You know, with the police force that saved you a billion times?

Bond: Oh, okay then. I completely respect you as a woman and you too have rights that I would feel guilty about alienating if I seduced you. I mean, that kind of behavior is just uncalled for and I can't image acting like how my original creator wrote me to be. That would be the right thing to do, and I just can't bear it. I am sorry for being so bold and rude. Please, let me walk you out.

*Bond walks Bheka to a taxi. As the cab takes off to the airport, Bond is left alone with his thoughts*

Bond: Bloody hell...being the nice guy gets you nowhere...If only I would have acted as I was originally conceived.
  • Yeah, here's Deaver's "Bond", as if we would even recognize our dear old 007:

Ophelia: Hey, James. I know this is a nice romantic dinner we're having and you probably expect to shag me after the check, but...You know how I told you my husband and I were having a rough go of it and we were taking a break? Well...ah...break over. Isn't that great?!

Bond: Oh...ah...yeah, that is great. Well, I am really pissed- urhm...I mean happy for you, and wish you nothing but happy health. This seems like bloody horrible timing, but I am going to completely accept your decision and not sleep with you unlike my original creator would wish. Good day my darling...

RING RING

Bond: Hello? Oh, hi Bheka. Yeah, I would love to have dinner. I'll be there in a bit.

Bheka: Yeah, I do. I just told you that. I am needed back in Cape Town. You know, with the police force that saved you a billion times?

Bond: Oh, okay then. I completely respect you as a woman and you too have rights that I would feel guilty about alienating if I seduced you. I mean, that kind of behavior is just uncalled for and I can't image acting like how my original creator wrote me to be. That would be the right thing to do, and I just can't bear it. I am sorry for being so bold and rude. Please, let me walk you out.

*Bond walks Bheka to a taxi. As the cab takes off to the airport, Bond is left alone with his thoughts*

Bond: Bloody hell...being the nice guy gets you nowhere...If only I would have acted as I was originally conceived.

I don't know that I completely agree with the way you've characterized Deaver's take on the character, but this is quite funny! :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, here's Deaver's "Bond", as if we would even recognize our dear old 007:

RING RING

I don't know that I completely agree with the way you've characterized Deaver's take on the character, but this is quite funny! :))
    I exaggerated Bond's tendency to respect the woman in the novel and choose not to fornicate. It was for comedic effect, but I do hope my point got across.
  • I exaggerated Bond's tendency to respect the woman in the novel and choose not to fornicate. It was for comedic effect, but I do hope my point got across.
    You did -- though I might argue that Fleming's Bond was actually often quite tender with the women in his life. He just didn't ever put himself in a position where he'd "let a woman rule him", as he might put it.

I exaggerated Bond's tendency to respect the woman in the novel and choose not to fornicate. It was for comedic effect, but I do hope my point got across.
    You did -- though I might argue that Fleming's Bond was actually often quite tender with the women in his life. He just didn't ever put himself in a position where he'd "let a woman rule him", as he might put it.

Exactly. He was a "mission now, sex with girl later" kind of guy, but I have a hard time believing Fleming's Bond would roll over for either Ophelia or Bheka as he did in CB.
  • oo7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    MrBrown wrote:
    event_carte_blanche_report3.jpg

She looks depressed. =((
    maybe she flicked through it

He looks depressed and he wrote it!

Villiers53 wrote:
    oo7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    MrBrown wrote:
    event_carte_blanche_report3.jpg

She looks depressed. =((
    maybe she flicked through it

And he's next to HER! Something is definitely afoot!
  • Villiers53 wrote:
    Gentlemen, that's Deaver's happy look.

;)