The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Samuel001 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    Can anyone add any further details to the fight that happened between Lee Marvin and Roger Moore? Ironically, though critics often accused him of not looking tough enough to play James Bond, Roger Moore once beat up tough guy Lee Marvin while they were filming Shout at the Devil (1976). Marvin, the tough-as-nails star of such badass films as The Wild One (1953), The Dirty Dozen (1967) recalled of the brawl, “The guy is built like granite. Nobody will ever underestimate him again.”

Does Roger mention the incident in his biography and do we know what the fight was about?

I'd also love to hear more if anyone has any information about this.

Hmm...I've heard about this. I'm not sure to be honest. I think the problem with Moore is not so much his size but his ability to move swiftly.

Perhaps I'm doing him a bit of an injustice but in terms of his screen fights he often seemed a bit 'clumsy'.

Here is the fight from the film. I'm not sure I'd call Rog a natural "tough guy"
    I wouldn't confuse play fighting with the real thing, Bain. Lee Marvin was a hellraiser and brawler much like our own Oliver Reed was - who incidentally was also knocked out cold in a fight by another Bond - George Lazenby! Of course it could be pure PR for when the film was released but has anyone asked RM at one of his meet and greets?
    I believe the story goes that Lee Marvin liked to have a few cheeky beverages, and would then go insane, when they started filming Lee thought the fight was real, in his book Rog say's he had to dodge a few wild punches but doesn't see say he knocked Marvin on his ass, so who know's?

what has been well documented is that Rog could pretty much drink anyone under the table without getting P*"sed.
    craigrules wrote:
    Even Matt Helm and Our man Flint didn't didn't dress as clowns or gorrilas,it's the stuff of Abbott and Costello.Moore not B
    Ellipsis wrote:
    Just his portayal of James Bond.

Hurray for negative comments on an appreciation thread! *sarcasm*

I do like Roger Moore. I love The Saint & The Persuaders, roles that uited him. In fact in the early Saint stories I could see him as a future Bond. I just don't think he was that good in the role when it happened. If I said I hated him in every thing other than Bond would that be OK? Apart from Live and Let Die I never warmed to him in the role.

A great guy and all that, I've got My word is my Bond and found it a great read. So i d appreciate him, just not as James Bond.
  • Having a name like Roger Moore, he was always destined to be Bond wasn't he? His Bond was the most fun and tongue-in-cheek of the series thus far. Without him, we would have missed out on some wonderful fun and cheesy moments.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I believe the story goes that Lee Marvin liked to have a few cheeky beverage

I get the impression thats a bit of an understatement.
    Can't believe I haven't found my way onto this one yet! Roger Moore is the second greatest 007 actor ever, right behind Pierce Brosnan, and at one time, these two battled for my number one position! As great as Brosnan is, Roger is also equally good. He knew how to have fun, play up the role of Bond to his strengths, and even work on his weaker areas, like brutality, which he did well with quite often.
    I'm 31 in December, so growing up, to me, Roger Moore was James Bond. Simple as that. I didn't see Sean or George until I was in my teens and bought the VHS collection. It was always the Rog movies that were on T.V and I loved them.Still do. They are why I was drawn to the series to begin with. I mean I wanted to drive that Lotus under the river in my town!! :) So despite now being a movie nut and someone who can see the, shall we say, 'cracks' in his work, I'll always always have a very special place in my heart for the great, the wonderful, the brilliant, Roger Moore.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ellis wrote:
    Looking back, some of the action movies during that time (for example:Indiana Jones, Superman) were movies that incorporated light humor. I don't know what it was about the 70s to mid-80s that made light humor in action movies "right" for that era.

Why was light humour action popular in the 70s to mid 80s? Just look at the timespan!

Its because Rog was the guy who defined this genre. The films you quote were copying the style started, admittedly, in DAF but that Rog perfected and anyone trying to do action with a nod and a wink was bascially copying the great man. Even stuff like Commando and Die Hard tried to put this humour in amongst the violence but no one ever carried it off as effortlessly as Rog.

'Fill her up please', 'So does England' and 'Keeping the British end up Sir' are pure class and I dont think theres anyone out there who could deliver such lines so winningly.

I think I might have to head down to Oxford St HMV next Monday morning as surely he will be the one delivering the golden case.
  • I went to an audience with Roger Moore last night (Front row) and he is a true gentleman. So unreal to see him in the flesh. Hearing him utter the words "The names Bond...James Bond" was EPIC!
    As to the Moore - Lee Marvin fight - I was fortunate enough to get tickets to the Premiere of ' Shout at The Devil' (second row front) with a teenage school pal of mine in April 1976 . I was inches away from Roger Moore and Lee Marvin as they came through the foyer of the Odeon(London) on arrival and again on their departure. Roger Moore appeared to be over six feet tall (perhaps six one) and in good health, Lee Marvin was about the same height as me (five eight) with a white beard and shaggy white hair - rather scrawny in build, older than Moore and with a real boozers red nose. I think it would be easy for a big guy like Moore to beat Lee in a fight.
    To ODDJAWS and ELLISIS - and other Roger Moore fans. Oddjaws if you are 31 this year your contemporary Bond should be Tim Dalton or Pierce Brosnan. Roger was finished with the role when you were four.My contemporary Bonds are Sean Connery and George Lazenby ( I was six years old when I saw the first Bond film Dr.No in spring 1963 at our local cinema and 12 years old when George Lazenby hit the cinema screens- so I love the first two best.) This love of Roger Moore and indeed the other Bonds depends on your date of birth. I totally agree with Ellisis - to me also Roger will always be 'The Saint' or the Persuader 'Brett Sinclair' .Before these he was long term knight in armour 'Ivanhoe'(1950's) and James Garners sidekick in American TV series 'Maverick'. Youngsters who only know Roger as Bond forget that as Bond he only uses a total of sixteen or seventeen hours of screen time in all his Bond films - whereas from the mid-1950's to the mid 1970's (twenty years) in his four different television series, viewers had seem him in HUNDREDS of hours of screen time. He wasn't a new face ( like Connery and Lazenby ) he was like a motor car with 200,000 miles on the clock.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Jason19 wrote:
    To ODDJAWS and ELLISIS - and other Roger Moore fans. Oddjaws if you are 31 this year your contemporary Bond should be Tim Dalton or Pierce Brosnan. Roger was finished with the role when you were four.My contemporary Bonds are Sean Connery and George Lazenby ( I was six years old when I saw the first Bond film Dr.No in spring 1963 at our local cinema and 12 years old when George Lazenby hit the cinema screens- so I love the first two best.) This love of Roger Moore and indeed the other Bonds depends on your date of birth. I totally agree with Ellisis - to me also Roger will always be 'The Saint' or the Persuader 'Brett Sinclair' .Before these he was long term knight in armour 'Ivanhoe'(1950's) and James Garners sidekick in American TV series 'Maverick'. Youngsters who only know Roger as Bond forget that as Bond he only uses a total of sixteen or seventeen hours of screen time in all his Bond films - whereas from the mid-1950's to the mid 1970's (twenty years) in his four different television series, viewers had seem him in HUNDREDS of hours of screen time. He wasn't a new face ( like Connery and Lazenby ) he was like a motor car with 200,000 miles on the clock.

I think that Oddjaws probably was too young to see Dalton at the cinema and is making the point that he grew up on Moore's films on TV. By the time Brosnan took over he would be in his mid teens, so in effect he probably did grow up on Moore's Bond. ;-)
    Forget to mention Roger also starred in American TV series 'The Alaskans' (just before 'The Saint') - he had clocked up a minimum of 231 hours of TV screen time ( in five TV series) by the time of LALD - plus numerous roles in cinema costume dramas which were aired on TV during the 1960's and 1970's.
  • Sir Roger Moore, the coolest man to ever live. My favourite Bond actor for sure. I'm surely Carly Simon was talking bout Moore as much as Bond when she sang "Nobody Does It Better". Can't wait to meet him on Saturday at Bluewater
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sir Roger Moore, the coolest man to ever live. My favourite Bond actor for sure. I'm surely Carly Simon was talking bout Moore as much as Bond when she sang "Nobody Does It Better". Can't wait to meet him on Saturday at Bluewater

Bluewater? Oh dear.

Poor Roger what on earth is he doing fetching up in chav heaven when he should be enjoying his retirement in Gstaad?
    I'm seeing him tonight at the Rose Theatre in Kingston :D

Gonna wear my Univeral Exports shirt and everything. Can't wait!!! 8->
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Happy bday hope you are living each day so you can Roger Moore
  • Happy birthday Sir Rog. See you on Tuesday at the Mayflower theatre!!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    Weak Bond but excellent as The Saint.
    Very nice man.
    Happy Birthday and many more to come.
  • Weak Bond but excellent as The Saint.
    Very nice man.
    Happy Birthday and many more to come.

Weak Bond? =))
    Best part of the evening:

Audience member: good evening Rog. What drove you to become an actor?
    Sir Rog: The number 53 bus!
    Happy Birthday to Roger Moore! One of the finest 007 actors ever to play the role!
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    Best part of the evening:

Audience member: good evening Rog. What drove you to become an actor?
    Sir Rog: The number 53 bus!

Fantastic. 85 years old and still such great wit. I can't wait to see him on Tuesday!
    Got a minutes footage of him on my iphone leaving the stage and milking the crowd's cheers. Not sure if I can upload it on here though.
  • As far as Flemming's Bond Sir Roger is the closest thing to the character. He knew how to get out of a jam with intelligence and brought joy to the part. Back then the world was less violent and The Spy WLM OP showed that Roger was the 007 of the time. All good films except AVTAK his last one. Great humor lousy shooting stance but its the movies. What possible gadget would be believable nowdays? Not an invisible Vanquish.
    I see Sir Roger is to host television news quiz Have I Got News For You. The episode will be aired on November 23, and it will be the first time Moore has presented the programme.

Moore will be appearing alongside regular panelists Ian Hislop and Paul Merton and guest panelists Marcus Brigstocke and Rachel Johnson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9643152/James-Bond-actor-Roger-Moore-to-host-Have-I-Got-News-For-You.html
    bondsum wrote:
    I see Sir Roger is to host television news quiz Have I Got News For You. The episode will be aired on November 23, and it will be the first time Moore has presented the programme.

Moore will be appearing alongside regular panelists Ian Hislop and Paul Merton and guest panelists Marcus Brigstocke and Rachel Johnson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9643152/James-Bond-actor-Roger-Moore-to-host-Have-I-Got-News-For-You.html

Love this show, so hope that they can cater to Rogers bantering.

He's to Bond what Adam West is to Batman (an exaggeration of course) and I have tremendous respect for both. Moore's Bond is a fuck load of fun.
    I've heard people say that the 1st Bond you see is usually your favourite but although my first Bond at the cinema, when I was a wee nipper, was FYEO, Roger Moore has always been my least fave Bond???

Dont get me wrong, I like all his films, even, MY worst Bond flik, VTOK made me laugh - the intended reaction??- but he stayed TOO long in the role - the parody element was getting out of hand - much more of it and the movies would have become Austin Powers-esque spoofs - and he started to look a bit pervy in VTOK fooling around with girls half his age (or less!!!), Roger should have retired from the role after Octopussy which was a damn enjoyable movie...

but do MI6 really tell their agents to yell "sit!!" to tigers???