Mads Mikkelsen is Hannibal Lecter

2»

Comments

I want to watch it in proper order but I have little time or I forget when it's on air. Maybe I'll better wait for the DVD, which I think would be a nice adquisition as the series seem to be a good one!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Great news, I knew even if NBC didn't pick S2 up other parties would be interested and it appears from the Deadline article there were.

Just 4 episodes in now and I've hugely impressed, Mads is owning Hopkins and Cox in the role without a doubt, his is the definitive take and it feels like the Lecter of the books as opposed to Hopkins diminishing returns version, Cox was quite menacing but feels somewhat ordinary now on the back of Mads utterly riveting reading, it's a quiet subtle and measured performance.

Getting the right Hannibal and an actor to play Graham was how this show would live or die and Fuller and co lucked out with Mads and Dancy, this series can only get better and from what I've heard from a friend of mine who's up to episode 10 it certainly does.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'd like to see this show at some point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:

You and I both. I find myself too busy lately to manage to catch shows weekly - I know that sounds pathetic - so I'm hoping it hits Netflix Instant or something in the near future. If not, I'll have to take to the Internet, because the show looked very interesting and I really enjoy Mikkelsen's work.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm a huge fan of both Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I may have to give this series a shot.
    I'm a huge fan of both Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I may have to give this series a shot.

You and I both. I didn't care for 'Hannibal' too much, and even though I've only seen it once years ago, I recall loving 'Hannibal Rising.'
    Good to see this show has positive reviews. I've got it series linked on Sky. Not watched an episode yet but look forward to it very much so. Love the character. Got all the movies on DVD apart from Hannibal Rising, which I've not yet seen.
    Good to see this show has positive reviews. I've got it series linked on Sky. Not watched an episode yet but look forward to it very much so. Love the character. Got all the movies on DVD apart from Hannibal Rising, which I've not yet seen.

I remember 'Hannibal Rising' being very unique, but very much worth it. What's your favorite of the films?
    Creasy47 wrote:

I remember 'Hannibal Rising' being very unique, but very much worth it. What's your favorite of the films?

Thanks, I will make sure I pick it up on DVD then to complete the set of films. My favourite is Silence of The Lambs. I remember watching it at the cinema and was completely drawn in by the quality of the story and the characters. Great performances by the lead actors. A couple near where I was sat found it too unsettling to watch and got up and left the cinema half way through!

I also really love Manhunter and Red Dragon. Not as keen on Hannibal but to be fair it has been a long time since I've seen that one. I'm going to revisit all the movies before I start watching the TV version.
    I'm also ashamed to say that I've never seen 'Manhunter,' and I'm jealous that you saw 'Silence of the Lambs,' @myworldisenough. It has to be one o the better horror films I've ever seen. Truly eerie with a wonderful cast.
    Hannibal Rising is not unique it's utter junk, it pretty much buried the franchise good and proper, it's 2 or so hours I'm never getting back.

Manhunter is so much better than Red Dragon, Ratner's butchering of Thomas Harris' terrific novel is like T.V film of the week in comparison.

SOTL is a quality adaptation one of the best I've seen, it captures the book brilliantly, it's a shame Hopkins has diluted it's power by turning Lecter into an unscary hammy bogie man, his performance in Lambs is just about on the right side and Demme is the only director who's been able to tether him down, something too far would have undone all Foster's, Levine and Scott Glenn's fine work.

Hannibal is just an absurd horror opera but at least it's aware of this, Red Dragon thinks it's a quality thriller it isn't.

As I said I really hope they get the chance to remake the whole cannon minus Hannibal and Hannibal Rising with Mads as Lecter, a proper version of Red Dragon with him would be brilliant.
    @Shardlake, so what you're saying is you absolutely loved 'Hannibal Rising,' correct? ;)

Like I said, it's been years since I've seen it, so perhaps your opinion mirrors mine. I'll have to view it again in the near future.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 1,257
    Creasy47 wrote:

You and I both. I didn't care for 'Hannibal' too much, and even though I've only seen it once years ago, I recall loving 'Hannibal Rising.'

Yeah, Hannibal was was forgettable and I haven't seen Hannibal Rising yet. I'm tempted to go out and buy the film but I want to read the book first. I'm actually going to pick up all four books and give them all a read. I've already read Red Dragon and SOTL but I loved them them enough that I will happily go through them again.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah, Hannibal was was forgettable and I haven't seen Hannibal Rising yet. I'm tempted to go out and buy the film but I want to read the book first. I'm actually going to pick up all four books and give them all a read. I've already read Red Dragon and SOTL but I loved them them enough that I will happily go through them again.

I was oblivious to the books for quite some time, I may have to give them a go. I'll just add them to the never-ending list of books I need to read/films I need to see/shows I need to watch/games I need to play.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'll just add them to the never-ending list of books I need to read/films I need to see/shows I need to watch/games I need to play.

No kidding. I have never read any of the Bond novels so I have ALL of those at the top of the list right now. It's hard to call myself a true Bond fan if I haven't even read at least one of Fleming's books. :(
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

You and I both. I find myself too busy lately to manage to catch shows weekly - I know that sounds pathetic - so I'm hoping it hits Netflix Instant or something in the near future. If not, I'll have to take to the Internet, because the show looked very interesting and I really enjoy Mikkelsen's work.

I have a terrible feeling that it may be a bit gory, though and that just ain't my cup of tea altogether. I'm rather new to the whole thing.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    SPAM removed. Stick to discussing Hannibal or this thread will get closed. @Dragonpol and @Hullcityfan, take notice.

SPAM removed. Stick to discussing Hannibal or this thread will get closed. @Dragonpol and @Hullcityfan, take notice.

I'm very sorry for "spamming". I think we were discussing the channel it was on. Sorry if this was mistrued as spam. It was not my intention to create spam. Just when I thought that I was fitting in here too...

I'll be much more careful from here on in.

I won't ever post in this thread again.

--Dragonpol.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 615
    Mads M. -- the Man With the Devil's Poker Face -- makes an excellent Hannibal, IMO.
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Mads M. -- the Man With the Devil's Poker Face -- makes an excellent Hannibal, IMO.

Well said there.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I watched some of this and recorded it, its great he plays Hannibal so well.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 4,043
    Just watched episode 7 and this series just gets better, the acting is top notch but Mads is utterly riveting, forget Hopkins and Cox, Mads is undoubtedly now the best Hannibal Lecter.

The thing about him as unlike Cox and Hopkins he has a build that makes you believe he could be dangerous, the previous 2 didn't look that imposing Mads looks terrifying.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I've stopped watching it now it was taking up my recording space.
    I wish I could see this - suppose I'll have to wait for the DVD boxset, then.
    Blu ray and DVD is out in September so not too long a wait. To be honest I'd rather watch a series at my own leisure so if I get into it I can digest that much quicker or if I like at more leisurely pace, this is why I loved Netflix having House of Cards and having the whole series ready to watch whenever I wanted.

I guarantee once you start watching it you won't want to stop, the whole waiting for next week is a real pain as I've got so used to watching series in the box set format or racking it up on my Sky box then watching it over a few nights. I had thought of leaving Hannibal till it finishes then diving in but it's been so damned addictive I just want to watch the next episode as soon as I can.

If this continues at this rate of quality it won't be long before it's eclipsing that other TV serial killer Dexter, a series that found it's bite again towards the end of the last season but better be worth the wait when it comes to the forthcoming final season and not be another Lost like cop out whereas Soprano's had for me a ballsy brilliant ending that made complete sense, Lost was just lazy story telling x 10.
    Well with the blu-ray and DVD hitting stores in September, the show hitting Netflix around that time is a possibility. It's usually pretty quick that a show hits Netflix Instant Queue (if it's going to) right after the release.
    Just watched the last episode, not sure where they are going with this but I'm more than intrigued to carry on watching this. The end sequence is a nice little reversal of roles and Mads continues to make me forget Hopkins as Hannibal and now than more and see him has the definitive and closest to Thomas Harris' creation.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Just watched the last episode, not sure where they are going with this but I'm more than intrigued to carry on watching this. The end sequence is a nice little reversal of roles and Mads continues to make me forget Hopkins as Hannibal and now than more and see him has the definitive and closest to Thomas Harris' creation.

I'd really like to see this myself!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    It looks like Mads Mikkelsen is Hannibal Lecter... again!, as the TV series' creator/producer has teased on Twitter the return of 'Hannibal' for a new season.