American Bond Girls.

13»

Comments

• hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I guess during the debate on Pam or Lupe, Getafix made a comment concerning American Bond girls. That got me to thinking and I am gonna have to grade them all. Feel free to agree or disagree and your thoughts.

JILL ST JOHN C+ (She fun early on but the script made her so ditsy later on. I might have graded her higher)
    BARBARA BACH C (acting ability lacking)
    LOIS CHILES D
    TANYA ROBERTS D (good to look at)
    CAREY LOWELL A They finally got it right
    TERRI HATCHER F Lets hear it for stunt casting
    DENISE RICHARDS F Way to go Babs!
    HALLE BARRY F Babs and Mikey really outdid themselves this time. How low can they sink?

All in all lets face it the series have really sunk low when casting American actresses. Maybe they trying to be so "modern". I don't know.
    Your thoughts?

Roberts and St John were a bit dipsy and a bit stupid.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dalton wrote:
    Carey Lowell is definitely the best of the lot of American Bond girls. She's actually my favorite Bond girl out of all of them, narrowly beating out Claudine Auger and Ursula Andress, but she's easily head and shoulders above the rest of the Americans.

She is probably my favorite of the American Bond girls too. She can handle a gun, she can hold her own in a fight, she lets Bond do his thing and doesn't get in the way, and is much more of an asset than an obstacle to him in his mission. Those are my favorite kinds of Bond girls. To be smart, resourceful, tough and independent is great, and to top it off Carey is an absolute stunner. Very few women can pull off short hair, but she looks absolutely ravishing with the trimmed look and is one of the most beautiful women the Bond series has seen in my opinion.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I was going to open a new topic on this but thankfully a thread exists already so I'd like to reignite this debate to gauge other's opinions:

With perhaps Carey Lowell being the exception, the vast majority of Bond girls played by Americans have been pretty dreadful and whilst there are some fantastic US actresses out there, I don't think we've necessarily been blessed by the cream of the crop with the likes of:

Jill St. John
    Barbara Bach (I'm kind of indifferent towards her performance)
    Lois Chiles (who's more bland than bad)
    Tanya Roberts
    Teri Hatcher
    Denise Richards
    Halle Berry

Is there anything to read in this? Or is it a case of poor casting decisions mixed with poorly written characters and dialogue? Or perhaps I have it wrong altogether and many of you like the actresses I have named above.

And let's not forget there have been other poor performances from non-Americans, Britt Ekland being the most notable example.
    In "recent" years, i.e. the Brosnan era, American Bond girls were famous stars, flavors of the month, cast more because of their supposed star appeal than their acting skills or their suitability to the role. I think this explains why they have been poor, they were miscast, plain and simple, with the wrong criteria. When people, not necessarily fans but average viewers, suggest actresses for Bond girls, they often suggest celebrities, often American. This is why American actresses as potential Bond girl are seen with suspicion.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Jill St. John is perhaps the most disappointing. She's not a great actress, but she is good in the first half.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Personally I am quite happy with the casting of American actresses. They rank among my favourites in the pantheon of Bond girls.
    But I am a very culturally Americanized Canadian, weened on the cheerleader and sassy brassy gangster-moll archetypes.
    As I posted way back in this thread, among my favourites of the American Bond girls for pure visceral entertainment, are St. John, Roberts and Richards. Those are my 3 faves. Soto, Hatcher, Lowell and yes even the much maligned Berry all bring their own disctinctly American appeal as well. :x
    Roberts in prime Sheena Queen of Jungle days
    936full-tanya-roberts.jpg

Even Bach (whose talents I think were much better exploited in her next film Caveman, where she cavorted with future hubby Ringo, in skimpy animal-skin getups, and without any dialogue to mangle) brought some American sizzle and va-voom to her role as the fearsome Agent XXX.
  • As a proud american, you got to say, that our country hasn't always delivered the best standards for James Bond girls. Barbara Bach stands out above all else right now, but my absolute favorites would include Jane Seymour and Ursula Andress - one being British, and the other from Switzerland. The best Bond girls are unfortunately non-american, such as Corrine Clery, Olga Kurilenko and even Maud Adams

Jill St John does well, although quickly degenerates, while Lois Chiles and Halle Berry were respective disasters. I'd say right now, France and Italy have provided the most enthralling and memorable Bond girls to the franchise