Octopussy or The Living Daylights?

Comments

TLD for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TLD for me.
    No contest whatsoever, though I love OP as well.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,425
    Luds wrote:
    TLD by a mile, but I still love OP quite a lot. TLD is simply put, the last masterpiece in Bond history. OP is simply just very good ;)

Totally agree with your world view.

I am a huge fan of OP but TLD is even better. I also see it as the last really great Bond movie. Dalton, Cubby, Maibaum, Barry. Brilliant.

And I am always shocked at the amount of cheap jibes that get thrown Glen's way - he made some excellent Bond movies.
  • icsics
    Ditto
    Getafix wrote:
    Luds wrote:
    TLD by a mile, but I still love OP quite a lot. TLD is simply put, the last masterpiece in Bond history. OP is simply just very good ;)

I am a huge fan of OP but TLD is even better. I also see it as the last really great Bond movie. Dalton, Cubby, Maibaum, Barry. Brilliant.

And I am always shocked at the amount of cheap jibes that get thrown Glen's way - he made some excellent Bond movies.

I just watched OP last night, wow, one forgets how blatantly sexist Bond movies have been in the past... on the ship rowing the girl calls out "IN... OUT... IN.... OUT!"
    But it still holds up really well, and the only dumb stuff was in the sound (Tarzan, Bond theme on flute...). The Woodhouse sit is STILL hilarious because it goes by so fast!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I have already watched OP and TLD, but TLD convinced me more just because it was a bit more classy (the whole violin thing, though i'm not into it, it's always enjoyable to watch and listen) And also, the action; And the great introduction of Timothy.

By now i have to agree with @thelivingroyale when he says Tim was a great Bond - I also watched LTK last day - and that he could have made at least 1 more film. Still not my favourite, but it's another one that i won't hate!

OP and TLD are great, overall. But i stay with TLD.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    You are wise.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    chrisisall wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    You are wise.

Lol thanks. You're a Roger Moore "hater"?
    ics wrote:
    Ditto
    Getafix wrote:
    Luds wrote:

Same here. I like OP, but I love TLD.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    Definitely TLD for me. The PTS is one of my favorites and I love the way Dalton is introduced. He does his own stuntwork as well, which really adds to things.
    Bond confronting Pushkin is fantastic
    . I'm on the edge of my seat during that scene every time. The acting, direction & everything just comes together so well in that scene. I love the action scenes with the car as well and the way Bond leaps into action
    after Saunders is murdered.
    Necros is a great henchman. I like Barry's score a lot here too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TLD by far.
    No contest! OP is great, but TLD is miles ahead!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Octopussy It's got better villains and full of tension.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    No contest! OP is great, but TLD is miles ahead!
    What he said.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Such a Sophie's choice scenario as I love them both.

On any given day I could swing either way (ooer) but on this day? Got to go with Rog I think.

But an earlier poster is right to say that John Glen is unfairly maligned here (I've done it myself on occasion). Of his 5 only AVTAK is a misstep. The other 4 all can make a case to be top 10 material and without doubt the 80's films will never be topped for action.
  • Living Daylights, one of the better Bond films, versus OP, one of the worst.
    Not even close.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Hmm.. it's close but I'll have to go with OP. I believe it's stronger as whole even though TLD may have higher highs.
  • It is a little close, but TLD wins for me. Though I do admit that OP is still the most entertaining film in the franchise.

BTW: choosing these two films in particular to compare is very odd, I can't see what sort of similarity they have?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    BTW: choosing these two films in particular to compare is very odd, I can't see what sort of similarity they have?

John Glen's directions gives the two films a similar style

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Considering TLD is 1 and OP is 2 on my list its a very close call, I love both so it depends on my mood which I want to watch
  • w2bond wrote: »

John Glen's directions gives the two films a similar style

Mmmmm technically you are right though Glen's direction doesn't exactly leave much of a real impression on his movies in the way Mendes or Gilbert do (you can tell you are watching one of their movies when you're watching them).

Though there are some Glen trademarks I suppose like pigeons and out-of-place humour...

And yes it is quite a close call since both TLD and OP are great.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    On my latest list, Octopussy came up at #8, while The Living Daylights was considerably further down at #14. There are two pivotal differences for this, and they both lie around the Bond actor. One, Roger Moore just has a charisma that Dalton lacks. Second, these types of films are quite similar and are better suited for Moore than Dalton. I could write a much more extended piece on that but I assume most people would understand why.

In other areas, TLD has the greater plot, while OP has the better cast. The score and stunts are fantastic in both - I really don't want to and don't feel the need to compare them directly. I will say that the TLD theme song is better, but in terms of how the instrumental versions of the theme songs are used in the film, OP definitely wins. However, the problems with OP (the excessively humourous bits) are short-lived, while TLD's problems are more long-lasting, which adds to the disparity between the two.

I still like both, but OP is just a better watch in my opinion.
    The Living Daylights for me.
  • Octopussy - 5/10

The Living Daylights - 8/10
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is a little close, but TLD wins for me. Though I do admit that OP is still the most entertaining film in the franchise.

The short story collection OCTOPUSSY AND THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 489
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Octopussy - 5/10

The Living Daylights - 8/10

Agreed. For me, OP is too much of a comedy.
    The jungle scene in OP might be outrageous (the Bond theme being used to charm snakes and the tuk-tuk chase are also worth mentioning), but TLD has the scene where Bond slides down on the cello and the scene with the Land Rover parachuting out of the plane. Then there's Koskov surviving the crash with the plane with hardly a scratch, and so on. TLD has its share of rather stupid moments, although they're probably not quite as cringeworthy as the ones in OP.

Both films have rather disappointing deaths for the main villains, though.
  • Hmmm I wouldn't entirely agree with what you say about TLD, I didn't find anything ridiculous about the Land Rover actually. Koskov's crash is nonsensical but it fits with his character, the way he crawls out lamely. So no, the only really stupid moment in TLD is the cello chase which I find far less egregious than any of the worst jokes of OP (people forget the boob zoom too).

Yes, but there are many disappointing main villain deaths aside from these two. TWINE, FRWL, FYEO and (I will argue) TSWLM fit this category.
  • I grant that the Cello scene at the border smacks too much of the previous Bond regimes' tone, and I would add the clumsy stuff that undercuts the Aston Martin car chase, but no way in tone overall is TLD anywhere near some of the really campy and comedic stuff from OP.
    Hmmm I wouldn't entirely agree with what you say about TLD, I didn't find anything ridiculous about the Land Rover actually. Koskov's crash is nonsensical but it fits with his character, the way he crawls out lamely. So no, the only really stupid moment in TLD is the cello chase which I find far less egregious than any of the worst jokes of OP (people forget the boob zoom too).

I don't think the snake charmer theme was worse than the Land Rover, personally. For Koskov's crash, the only reason they did that was to have him come back to be arrested by Pushkin, and that was still quite a disappointing (and seemingly hurried) scene. So I'm not seeing the point of him surviving the crash, and it makes no sense that he would survive that in the first place.

The Tarzan yell in OP is worse than anything in TLD, but the rest of it doesn't go past the level of ridiculousness that the cello sliding in TLD.
    Yes, but there are many disappointing main villain deaths aside from these two. TWINE, FRWL, FYEO and (I will argue) TSWLM fit this category.

I know. I wasn't comparing these to other films, I was just mentioning that these two had some of the most unsatisfactory villain deaths in the franchise (not the strongest villains either). The villain deaths in TWINE were fine. FRWL - Klebb might not be the most satisfactory but Grant sure was. I agree with FYEO, although there's nothing wrong with TSWLM. As with TWINE, just shooting somebody works, and in this case, you get to see the colder side of Bond as he shoots Stromberg repeatedly to inflict maximum pain before actually shooting for the kill.