Fights not Involving 007

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
There aren't too many of these when you think about it, but I've always considered it a treat when there is one, just for a change of pace. The only ones I can think of are Tracy vs. Grunther, Green Four vs. Necros, and Jinx vs. Miranda Frost. Personally, out of these three, I like Green Four vs. Necros the best. It's really tough and rough-edged! Anybody else think of any?

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,407
    Wai Lin vs Carver's men before Bond enters. Not terrible but not amazing.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Wai Lin vs Carver's men before Bond enters. Not terrible but not amazing.

You're right, I guess I was thinking of fist-fights. Yes, that's a decent fight. Like you said, not terrible, but it might have been more impressive with better direction and story-boarding. I still really like the part where she jumps off the stairs and shoots those guards in mid-air.
    Octopussy Girls on the raid on the Monsoon Palace near the end of the film

Moore invades by way of a hot air balloon but for the most part is was the girls against the guards, quite a lively sequence actually
    Octopussy Girls on the raid on the Monsoon Palace near the end of the film

Moore invades by way of a hot air balloon but for the most part is was the girls against the guards, quite a lively sequence actually

Nice one! Even Q gets in on the action and takes out a guard!
    What about the two sumo wrestlers in You Only Live Twice or the two guys fighting in The Man with the Golden Gun when Moore goes to meet Anders at the fight arena, aren't they worth an inclusion

I hated the Berry and Pike fight on the 'plane in Die Another Day

Forgot to mention -

The two girls in The Man with the Golden Gun, the Lieutenant Hip nieces' that arrive outside the dojo when Moore escapes and - 'stand back girls' etc (bond wasn't involved so to speak)

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    The initial fight between the US Military and Goldfinger's minions at Fort Knox. Bond was sort of on the sidelines for that one.
    I'm usually asleep by the time that happens!, and sorry to say, but even that is a rather dull and boring sequence too, as was the whole film, I'm afraid that year
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Most understandable.

Speaking of garbage, how about that laser tag fight between the Marines and Drax's army?
    Both equally cringeworthy Mr Kerim

Moonraker is fun, a good watch even, but that rip off of Star Wars battle was merely embarrassing, it was so far detached from James Bond for me
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,762
    Kerim wrote:
    Most understandable.

Speaking of garbage, how about that laser tag fight between the Marines and Drax's army?

The best thing about this battle is Barry's grand-scale epic soundtrack blaring in the background. That brings the battle to new heights of awesomeness. Still though, I must admit sheepishly, I actually look forward to this battle every time I watch MR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I love the FRWL gypsy fight, and the Brits against Largo's boys in TB.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Necros and the MI-6 Agent in TLD.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I second Murdock. The fight in TLD in the kitchen of the MI6 country house. Excellent.

Getafix wrote:
    I second Murdock. The fight in TLD in the kitchen of the MI6 country house. Excellent.

I like to second second that one.
    Murdock wrote:
    Necros and the MI-6 Agent in TLD.

Great scene , very intense and well filmed.

How about the scene in TWINE where Renard puts the extremely hot rock into davidads hand and squeezes it to torture him.

Its not really a fight scene but it sure was gritty and added a realistic evil feel to Renards character.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I like to second second that one.

Great choice! I fourth that!!! ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I vote for Moore's stunt double vs. Zorin's henchmen in Stacy's house in AVTAK: "The vase!" ;)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,762
    Another I thought of is Valentine Zukovsky and his men fight off Elektra and Renard's thugs. I love it when Zukovsky shoots that guard through the door!
    I want to add the fight between Tracy and Gunther in OHMSS. This was a first time we see the Bond girl fight. It was thrilling and violent. You were really worried for Tracy when that SPECTRE thug got his filthy paws around her throat. I wanted to beat his ass myself but she came out on top. :)
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I want to add the fight between Tracy and Gunther in OHMSS. This was a first time we see the Bond girl fight. It was thrilling and violent. You were really worried for Tracy when that SPECTRE thug got his filthy paws around her throat. I wanted to beat his ass myself but she came out on top. :)

See, I never got that from this particular fight. I've always thought it was rather bland and dull; this is due in part to the fact that it's a Bond girl and not 007 himself, though Jinx fought Miranda Frost and that was a good duel. If I had my way, I would have let Bond slug it out with Grunther. Lazenby's impressive fist-fighting capabilities matched against Yuri Borienko's strong physique would have made for a great duel, and certainly better than the one we got.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Kerim wrote:
    Most understandable.

Yes, that was awful and not Bondian at all. But that's most of MR in general for you. Not Bondian.

I'd go Necros vs MI6 agent first and the gypsy girls second, but the whole Krilencu's men vs the gypsy camp was great. Bond didn't really do too much compared to everything else going on.
    Kerim wrote:
    Most understandable.

Yes, that was awful and not Bondian at all. But that's most of MR in general for you. Not Bondian.

I'd go Necros vs MI6 agent first and the gypsy girls second, but the whole Krilencu's men vs the gypsy camp was great. Bond didn't really do too much compared to everything else going on.

Now that I think about it, the only things he really did that were drastically important were shoot two or three thugs, one of which saved Vavra's life. I hadn't really ever thought of that as a fight without Bond, but I suppose you're right.
    What about Tiger's ninjas vs spectre henchmen in the volcano, to start off with bond isn't involved so would that count? it's a pretty cool set piece, i love the scenes of the ninjas sliding down the ropes.
    Sharky wrote:
    What about Tiger's ninjas vs spectre henchmen in the volcano, to start off with bond isn't involved so would that count? it's a pretty cool set piece, i love the scenes of the ninjas sliding down the ropes.

Yeah I suppose that counts too! I love the part when that one ninja with the sword takes on three of the SPECTRE goons at once!

Yeah, nothing Bondanian about MR. Except the music, the villian, Bond himself, the locations, the girls, the henchman (Chang, they ruined Jaws), the gadgets and the awesome stunts.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Necros and Green-Four from The Living Daylights, also the gypsy girl fight from FRWL.
    I'm sorry, but that was quite atrocious, or disappointing, would be more appropriate a word even.. It's over before it's even started before Krilencu and his men show up, the build up holds a bit of interest, but once the action's underway, it's all over very sudden I always feel

I hated the stupid shoot em up at the end of Moonraker with Colonel Scott's team and the Drax guys, implausible looking lasers on a blatant attempt on the Star Wars boom of the time, it didn't look realistic, quite stupid above all else, and it was a very poor fight or battle, one of the most disappointing sequences of that years release for me

Best battle that year was actually Bond himself in Venice with Chang, how that vial didn't get broken amid all that I'll never know
    I'm sorry, but that was quite atrocious, or disappointing, would be more appropriate a word even.. It's over before it's even started before Krilencu and his men show up, the build up holds a bit of interest, but once the action's underway, it's all over very sudden I always feel

I hated the stupid shoot em up at the end of Moonraker with Colonel Scott's team and the Drax guys, implausible looking lasers on a blatant attempt on the Star Wars boom of the time, it didn't look realistic, quite stupid above all else, and it was a very poor fight or battle, one of the most disappointing sequences of that years release for me

Best battle that year was actually Bond himself in Venice with Chang, how that vial didn't get broken amid all that I'll never know

Yeah, the MR finale with Colonel Scott's team is not the best of the best. It's more disappointing than ridiculous, I think. I don't mind that it is implausible, because MR screams for the implausible, so we're ready for it. It's the fact that it's such a let-down that bothers me. Much too slow-paced, not exciting enough, and over too quickly.
    I think otherwise... it goes on far too long...

It's basically the underwater scenes in Thunderball.... but in outer space, if you understand, all a bit overlong and boring I'm afraid

Great release, spoiled for the most part by the asinine idea of sending James Bond into space.. :-<
    I think otherwise... it goes on far too long...

It's basically the underwater scenes in Thunderball.... but in outer space, if you understand, all a bit overlong and boring I'm afraid

Great release, spoiled for the most part by the asinine idea of sending James Bond into space.. :-<

Hahaha, indeed, the space scenes were unnecessary, especially considering they had a good thing going already with the plot from the novel.