DVD & Blu-Ray News

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That box art is amazing!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That box art is amazing!

Yes it is!

Also, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is due to be released on blu-ray and DVD on December 3rd. More about it in the official thread for the film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That box art is amazing!

Yes it is!

Also, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is due to be released on blu-ray and DVD on December 3rd. More about it in the official thread for the film.

Does it say anything about a trilogy collection being released? That's what I want.
    No details have been released yet, but I would be completely shocked if they didn't do that. I now own BB and TDK on blu-ray, so I'll be getting this one separately. It's a shame there won't be an extended cut, but it is Nolan.
    Thanks, Brady. My girlfriend is picking up the blu-ray for me for Christmas, so I think a few cups of coffee starting me out on a snowy morning as I spend the entirety of the day with a Nolan Batman trilogy sounds wonderful.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Arrow are releasing Lisa And The Devel on dual format, 28/01/2013. Special features:

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of both versions of the film: Lisa and the Devil and The House of Exorcism producer’s cut
    • Optional English and Italian audio on Lisa and the Devil
    • English SDH subtitles on both features and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian Audio of Lisa and The Devil
    • Audio Commentary on Lisa and The Devil by Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
    • Audio Commentary on The House of Exorcism by producer Alfredo Leone and star Elke Sommer
    • Introductions to both films by author and critic Alan Jones
    • The Exorcism of Lisa – Assistant Director Lamberto Bava, screenwriter Roberto Natale, Roy Bava and Alberto Pezzotta discuss the making of both versions of the film
    • Deleted Scene
    • Original trailers
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
    • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Stephen Thrower, an interview with Bava from 1976, translated from the original Italian for the first time, illustrated with original stills and archive posters

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/lisa-and-the-devil.html

So not only does it include the studio cut, aka House Of Exorcism (which i've not seen), but also an Elke Sommer commentary? Ok, that's enough for me to double dip.
    I've never seen it, but that plot summary sounds amazing. Does Savalas play a main character in it? Sometimes the IMDB listing mixes names up, so I was curious as to if he just has a minor role.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Sommer plays the main character, Savalas plays the really creepy villain, Leandro.

I'm suprised they didn't do a double pack of the also Bava directed, Sommer film, Baron Blood. Shame really, but there you go.
    I wonder how I could get my hands on a copy of it to watch without purchasing it. Some greats are hard to come by in the way of rentals, as I only have Netflix Instant Queue.
    Why not purchase it? If the Arrow release is too expensive or you can't get it where you are, try ebay. And Arrow isn't the first company to put it on DVD, Image Entertainment have released it under the Mario Bava collection label, which is the one I have.
    I may just go ahead and do that. Seems to be the best bet, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too costly.
    Bava's other Elke Sommer film, Baron Blood, is also getting the Arrow dual-format treatment:

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three versions of the film: Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga with Italian opening and closing titles and Baron Blood with English opening and closing titles and the European English export version audio, and for the first time on home video, the AIP version with alternate score by Les Baxter
    • Three audio versions: Optional Italian, European English and AIP English re-dub and re-score
    • English SDH subtitles and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
    • Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
    • Introduction to Baron Blood by author and critic Alan Jones
    • Trailers for Baron Blood
    • Baron Blood Radio Spots
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
    • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Oliver James and Pasquale Iannone, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/arrow-video-q2-releases.html
    ----

Like Lisa And The Devil, I have this on DVD already, but i'm prepared to double dip. \:D/
    'Schindler's List' will be arriving to blu-ray on April 8th; Limited Collector's Edition announced for the UK:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Schindlers-List-Blu-ray/64812/

With Spielberg releasing 'Jaws,' 'E.T.,' and now 'Schindler's List' on blu-ray in the past few years, I can only hope he gets around to releasing 'Munich' in the same format.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Schindler's List' will be arriving to blu-ray on April 8th; Limited Collector's Edition announced for the UK:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Schindlers-List-Blu-ray/64812/

With Spielberg releasing 'Jaws,' 'E.T.,' and now 'Schindler's List' on blu-ray in the past few years, I can only hope he gets around to releasing 'Munich' in the same format.

Spielberg seems to usually be good about getting his stuff on Blu-ray, so it may take time, but I am sure he will get Munich to Blu-ray. He has previously been hard at work getting his other films in that format, the most recent being Jaws for its anniversary and the Indiana Jones collection. Hard to believe he hasn't gotten Schindler's to that format yet, shocking for sure.

But, I must criticized his work on the Indy collection: Steve, would it have really been THAT hard to just "forget" to include Indy 4? ;)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree. And remember, mate: that film doesn't exist. If you ever purchase the collection, simply chuck the fourth (that doesn't exist) into the trash can.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree. And remember, mate: that film doesn't exist. If you ever purchase the collection, simply chuck the fourth (that doesn't exist) into the trash can.

Yes, and when a friend comes over and mentions the empty slot in the case I'll just say:

"Oh, that...ah...a little manufacturing accident. Trust me, happens all the time. More than you'd think."

:D
  • The 4th film wasn't bad at all. You're treating it like Batman and Robin.

It was good and enjoyable, it was just a bit pointless.
    The 4th film wasn't bad at all. You're treating it like Batman and Robin.

It was good and enjoyable, it was just a bit pointless.

Listen, when Spielberg and Lucas give us a final shot of Indy riding into the sunset, that is supposed to symbolize an ending. THE ending. No returns, no remakes, no reboots or whoozy whatzits. They went back on their agreement and flung sand in our eyes.

Indy 4 was CGI city, no more great live action stuff the series is famous for, no Nazis were present to be punched and killed, we have a senseless Indy who always teams up with a guy that betrays him about a dozen times in two hours, and overall the plot teeters along with no real purpose until the aliens show up and then at that moment you know for sure that Lucas has lost it. It seems like Star Wars isn't the only thing he can't do right anymore. Sorry Indy, I will always remember you for those three great films.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Yes, I know, I have seen The Last Crusade. That's why I said the film was pointless.

There were no nazis in Temple Of Doom, the Aliens were no worse than the supernatural stuff in past films, Ray Winstones part was fun although betraying him for a second time at the end wasn't needed, there wasn't much CGI at all until the towards the end (and at least the CGI they used looked good), the plot wasn't terrible at all and I liked the whole 50's Area 51 type Alien idea.

Believe it or not people were begging for a 4th film for years despite The Last Crusades ending. They give in and make one, everybody hates it and bitches about how it shouldn't have been made.

I think everybody just wanted to hate this film but if you look at it objectively it's pretty good, it just didn't need to be made.
    'The Hobbit' blu-rays officially announced and detailed:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10413
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I too like Indy 4 fine. Just as the first three are spot on 30's pulp movies, 4 is a spot-on 50's pulp, with aliens, russkies, nukes, and mind control. The worst part was Shia swinging with the monkeys - that was terrible. But the plot, the chase through the school grounds, the fist fight among the maneating ants, all pretty cool. I went to an Indy marathon at the AMC theater here in Burbank and a TON of people got up and left after Last Crusade. Ah well.

When are they gonna put a good version of the Rankin and Bass Hobbit out on blu-ray, as they did The Last Unicorn?
    edited February 2013 Posts: 40,468
    @DrNo, I don't think anyone liked seeing Shia swing with the monkeys. I, for one, didn't appreciate seeing Shia at all.

On another note, 'Life of Pi' will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on April 27th, 2013:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10428
    DrNo wrote:
    I too like Indy 4 fine. Just as the first three are spot on 30's pulp movies, 4 is a spot-on 50's pulp, with aliens, russkies, nukes, and mind control. The worst part was Shia swinging with the monkeys - that was terrible. But the plot, the chase through the school grounds, the fist fight among the maneating ants, all pretty cool. I went to an Indy marathon at the AMC theater here in Burbank and a TON of people got up and left after Last Crusade. Ah well.

Yeah, that's what I call intelligent Indy fans. Do you know why they all left? Because when you ride into the sunset, that means you are done!
  • LOL, yes I too enjoy Indy 4. At first I didn't really like it, but it grew on me, and once I understood that it was like a 50's style alien movie, I thought it was a pretty awesome and logical continuation, I honestly would love another....Mr. Lucas
    It's more like a 50s style bad Indy movie.
    Convenient that the last post was about Indy, because the Lightning Deal of Amazon today is the Indiana Jones complete blu-ray box set, 61% off: $100 to $38.99 with free shipping.
    This thread never really took off, but in case anyone is interested, the entire 'Nightmare on Elm Street' collection is on sale right now for $25.99 on blu-ray on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ7V0W0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AZ7V0W0&linkCode=as2&tag=film-20
    MANHUNTER on blu-ray.

It contains the theatrical version, as well as a director´s cut version that is NOT the version that was on dvd, at least on my German dvd from 2001.
    Which of those versions of the film is the best may be up to personal view, I for my part are used to and very fond of the dvd version I already had and will keep for sure.
    The director´s cut version that appears on the br was apparently shown on tv back in the day. It has not been restaurated, which makes it definitely less fun to watch. It has however a very cool scene at the end that is not in the two other versions.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 40,468
    No idea how long this will last, but www.foxconnect.com is having a 50% off sale with the promo code FLASH. The 'Bond 50 Box Set' blu-ray + SF is on sale for only $100. Looks like an excellent deal for those yet to make the switch. I'd take advantage of it ASAP.

EDIT: There are two promo codes. STAR is for 50% off Celebrity box sets, so if you do indeed order and FLASH doesn't work, use that one instead.