What you thought when you saw CR and QoS teaser trailers?

124»

Comments

actonsteve wrote:
    But have any of the production staff ie writers, directors, cameramen,actors actually come out and say QoS is Bourne influenced? Or is it just conjecture? Or projection?

Why would they? They're not gonna come out and thank Bourne for inspiring it. I think it is a bit Bourne influenced, definetly on the action and editing side of things. I don't see as much Bond in it as I did in CR.
    actonsteve wrote:
    i am not a fan of Bourne (I have never forgiven Matt Damon and Greengrass for slagging off James Bond for publicity after each one came out) and don't really get the citicism of QoS as Bourne influenced.

To me its its own film. Its original and has a good story and Bond. Or is it just shorthand describing something as Bourne influenced as "I really want to go back to the wisecracking and invisible cars?"

I like hard thrillers and like the fact that the Bonds can do good hard thrillers. And I like QoS.

I read one article about Damon slagging of Bond, which did piss me off a bit. Never heard Greengrass mention it. QOS has a good Bond. That's about it imo.

Or is it just shorthand describing something as Bourne influenced as "I really want to go back to the wisecracking and invisible cars?"

Y'know, there can be a middle ground between QOS and DAD. You can have humour without going OTT. Just because people don't like QOS it doesn't mean they want invisible cars and space battles. If I say "I hope SF has some gadgets and humour" I'm tired of getting responses like "Craig isn't going to have ninjas absailing down a volcanoe and he isn't going to drive an invisible car or do a campy shit Bond", because that's not what I want. I want a middle ground, like TLD, OHMSS, LTK, FRWL, TB, FYEO, etc.

My memory was definitely that Greengrass slated Bond. I cannot remember Damon commenting on the subject.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,566
    I absolutely loved the CR teaser. I do remember that I scoured the Internet for that Bond theme, though, as it blew my mind. The footage looked great, and it had a real big 60's feel to it, with some of the shots they used: Solange's dress, Le Chiffre looking out the window, etc. I loved it.

When I saw the QoS trailer, I watched it about the same amount of times as I did the one for CR, and could tell this was going to be much more action-oriented: it seemed to be the only thing I saw in it. Time went on, I got more and more excited as the TV spots became more and more frequent, and I saw it, and still enjoyed myself.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,639
    Getafix wrote:
    ...[my] Jason Bourne movies offer a more lasting legacy than the James Bond franchise, because the audience identifies more closely with Matt Damon's action hero.

I call bs on this, and a lot of it. I like the Bourne stuff but compared to the star of Bond, seriously, Bourne isn't but a little comet.

It's publicity guff from PG. That said, at the time of the interview Bond was moribund and Bourne reigned supreme.
    Ha I quite liked Craig's response to the Bond vs Bourne vs Batman question
    I've never cared for Matt Damon in the slightest.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've never cared for Matt Damon in the slightest.

@Creasy47 But you can't deny that the man is a great actor. He's had so many roles over the years, but there's one for me that really stands out, and that's his overlooked performance in this film, imo it was oscar worthy.

Jokin aside, I like alot of his films, Saving Private Ryan was really good and I love the Bourne films. But him slagging off Bond over and over rubs me the wrong way.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Ha I quite liked Craig's response to the Bond vs Bourne vs Batman question

Same here. He should try and get that lighter side to show a bit more in SF.
    @thelivingroyale, he is a good actor, and I like his work, but the man himself, I don't care for. He acts like he is above, beyond, and better than everyone else. He comes across as extremely snobby.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Funny, I read what Greengrass and Damon both said and thought actually, they're completely right. For me tho, the problem is that the Bond producers are now embarrassed by the legacy. In many ways Bond was already an anachronism in the 60s, and ever more so during the 70s and 80s, but he kept on doing what he'd always done and we loved him for it.

I think if the producers went back to the more unapologetically unreconstructed character, they'd find cinema going audiences much more forgiving of Bond's prejudices and peccadilloes than they imagine. People all around the world love the faint absurdity of a British spy still lording it over evil gangsters and criminals and saving the world - and having a jolly good time in the process. Bring back Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!
    Getafix wrote:
    Funny, I read what Greengrass and Damon both said and thought actually, they're completely right. For me tho, the problem is that the Bond producers are now embarrassed by the legacy. In many ways Bond was already an anachronism in the 60s, and ever more so during the 70s and 80s, but he kept on doing what he'd always done and we loved him for it.

I think if the producers went back to the more unapologetically unreconstructed character, they'd find cinema going audiences much more forgiving of Bond's prejudices and peccadilloes than they imagine. People all around the world love the faint absurdity of a British spy still lording it over evil gangsters and criminals and saving the world - and having a jolly good time in the process. Bring back Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!

Good post!

I don't think Damon should say anything negative about Bond. Afterall, the Bond character and most of the movies are much cooler than the emo stuff in the Bourne series.