Bond 24: Moonraker?

Comments

Emilio wrote:
    The majority of the book was unused apart from the name of the villain, Hugo Drax. It would be an adaption of the novel not of the film. The only thing the movie would share with the 79' version would be the name of the villain and the title.

Couldn't agree more, Moonraker is definitely the best Fleming. I'd love to see it on screen... again ;) http://iansadler.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/moonraker-the-forgotten-1956-james-bond-film/

How cool would it be if EON allowed that movie to see the light of day in keeping with the 50th anniversary! Maybe even a screening at Cannes or something. We can hope, right?

Sadly, we'll never see it as that was an internet hoax...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i have been saying for years, that they should use whatever is left from Moonraker the novel, and use it in a future Bond movie.. there is so much there that is untapped - and would make for a thrilling, classic Bond/ticking bomb story....

it obviously wouldn't be a remake of the film Moonraker - just use the bits from the novel, give it an original or one of the unused Fleming titles, change the villain's name, and change him from being a Neo-Nazi to working for QUANTUM.. it could definitely work..

in one of my (many) Bond 23 posters, i used the title "Risico" and for the backdrop.. i based it off Moonraker (the novel) a little, showing missiles raining down onto London
    The best part of the book is the bridge game which is brilliantly written but would make a somewhat boring affair to watch, and the rest of the book has been filmed twice more or less.

Moonraker the book should be a film is a bit of an overrated fanboyish w*nkdream. I do hope that EON has more brains.
    As some you have suggested I think that Moonraker is little bit on the quiet side to be an ordinary Bond-film. These films requires heavy action and much of the sequences in Moonraker are not based on action at all. No, I would, as I suggested in another thread, opt for a BBC adaption in the tradition of Sherlock. A parallell Bond-universe while staying true to the source. Oh my, that could be good.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    They could use the book I suppose, but they should rename it, and rename the characters they've used before.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    IMO MR is Fleming's best novel... would love to see it being filmed faithfully.
    I'd love to see it filmed. There are a lot of elements to be used for the next Bond film.
    They've already incorporated elements of MR the novel into DUD, sorry i mean DAD ie the Blades scene. I'd like to see a serious remake of Diamonds are Forever or Golden Gun with the comedy taken out!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LeChiffre wrote:
    They've already incorporated elements of MR the novel into DUD, sorry i mean DAD ie the Blades scene. I'd like to see a serious remake of Diamonds are Forever or Golden Gun with the comedy taken out!

MR is also heavily drawn upon in GE.

They've already used the (ingenious) "tracing the diamonds" plot in DAF, so I'm not sure what's left except for the Spang Brothers and the railroad scene.

TMWTGG is another story, though. It would be cool if they actually did film in Cuba. (Off topic: does the UK have the same Cuba trade restrictions that the US does?)

• edited May 2012 Posts: 660
    if they want to do a remake of Moonraker......could change the target from London to all of Europe......perhaps something like the missile defense shield protecting all NATO allies.......someone could sabotage the Defense shield and attack Europe. It would be upgrade version and much much faithful to the novel but only it not only London but the main villian could have a British connection
    Damn it, people discussing Bond XXIV when Bond 23 hasn't even been pieced together as of yet, and I haven't read the Moonraker novel and many people say it's better than the movie, can't dispute that, I can appreciate their thinking but from the film itself, I'd like it to be left alone at the end of the 1970s where it is and untouched, I hope they never remake it or anything such, it's a unique and special Bond adventure and Craig is simply the wrong man for this anyway, I hope they just leave it be and to Moore's name etc and timeline. Maybe if I read the book I would feel different, but until then, that's how I can only sum it up
    Moonraker the book and Moonraker the movie are very very different indeed. Both are great for what they are and should be left be. Bond 24 should be original and not a remake or a novel adaptation. By all means elements could be used. Bond and M in Blades could be written as a scene in an overwise original movie, it's been done before with Fleming scenes written into the movies which don't relate to the original source from the book they were taken from.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    echo wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:

MR is also heavily drawn upon in GE.

They've already used the (ingenious) "tracing the diamonds" plot in DAF, so I'm not sure what's left except for the Spang Brothers and the railroad scene.

TMWTGG is another story, though. It would be cool if they actually did film in Cuba. (Off topic: does the UK have the same Cuba trade restrictions that the US does?)

Yes indeed. But as much dreck as MR the movie is compared to the novel, and if a film was ever to be remade this is one of two that scream for it, the movies are what they are and should be left for posterity.

But as much dreck as MR the movie is compared to the novel, and if a film was ever to be remade this is one of two that scream for it, the movies are what they are and should be left for posterity.

And the second? :)
  • That would be DAD, or DUD as some prefer to refer to it.
    With the firing range shot in the trailer, we may be getting some Moonraker in Bond 23.
  • echo wrote:
    With the firing range shot in the trailer, we may be getting some Moonraker in Bond 23.

also London which in MR it was basically the entire book which is also like in SF too!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Moonraker's plot is so outdated and over the top, it would never work in Craig's Era. Same with wanting to bring Blofeld back. I'm not saying don't use unused Fleming material, but use the material that would make the most sense in modern times.

I personally would like to see 007 Take on the Spang Brothers in a more close to the book adaptation of Diamonds Are Forever, but instead of tracking diamonds in las vegas, how about 007 Taking on a Mob in New York?
    Didn't think the "mob" existed anymore. Certainly not enough to pose a threat to Bond anyway.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Didn't think the "mob" existed anymore. Certainly not enough to pose a threat to Bond anyway.

There are always going to be crime syndicates, It doesn't have to be a stereotypical Italian mafia.
    Blasphemy!

MR '79 is a great entry in the Bond-canon. From the wonderful sets by Ken Adam, the fantastic score by Barry, the lovely use of locations and some great and fun action set-pieces.

But yes, I would love for Bond 24 to be at least OTT and more fun than the last two.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:

There are always going to be crime syndicates, It doesn't have to be a stereotypical Italian mafia.

The 'mob' is way too uninspired for a Bond film these days. It was dull in DAF and how old is that?
    Bond v Tony Soprano? No thank you. A Bond villain needs to have more class.

Daniel Craig's Bond deserves another main villain on a par with Silva but more importantly he needs a henchman in the Oddjob/Jaws vein who poses a serious physical threat.

DC hasn't even had a henchman in his 3 films (I refuse to count Elvis) and every fight he's been in from Fisher, Obanno, Slate to Patrice you've always thought he is their match.

I want to see a massive guy for Bond 24 who you think immediately could batter DC and the only way he will beat him will be with his brain a la the hat and electric cable in GF or the table lamp in TSWLM.
    Cubby always said go back to Fleming when they need to. Don't see any reason why they shouldn't when they can.
  • If they put out a movie that stayed closer to the plot of Fleming's Moonraker, I'd be all for that sort of movie. That said, there are plenty of other viable directions to go in at this point, too.
    remaking Bond films would be a crime the should be left alone. Even if their not the best they are part of Bond history some Bond films are better then others but that's life
  • Rename the villain, and call the shuttle something else, and the give the film a new title. Presto, new Bond film.
    This thread is about making Bond 24 an adaptation of the Moonraker Book. Not a remake of the movie...
  • In that case thay should change the name to something else than Moonraker and the name of Hugo Drax to something else to avoid confusion with Moonraker-1979.
    One of the main issues with adapting Moonraker is that the movies have heavily borrowed from it from time to time, as people mentioned before: GE, DAD, maybe even TWINE to a lesser extend. The novel also has little action. That said, I would love to see a closer, ''direct'' adaptation, with Gala Brand as the main Bond girl. Maybe not for Bond 24 as we have seen lots of the UK in Skyfall, but with Bond 25 or 26. There is a good quantity of DAF, YOLT and TMWTGG that could be made into the movies as well.
    echo wrote:
    Drax and Brand are great characters, and I'd love to see them use Dover as a location. Drax's speeches, while they would need to be updated, are wonderful. (Drax's "spend the money quickly" has already made the screen in OP.)

The villain's plot has already been largely mined by MR, GE, and DAD. Reprogramming a missile to hit the sub was done in TSWLM. The Bond girl who gets away was used in QoS.

Also, there are unadaptable elements in the MR novel.

One is the bridge game. It works beautifully on the page but Bond's "stacking the deck" trick won't play the same onscreen (too underhanded), nor will his benzedrine use (dated). Plus, they dumped baccarat in the film version of CR, and since bridge is seen as an "old person's game," I really don't think we're going to see high-stakes bridge.

Another is the blowtorch/lighter escape. It comes across as improbable in the novel and would probably be even moreso on screen. The later scene when Drax's men try to flush them out with fire could work, but since fire was a huge element of the QoS ending, I kind of doubt it will be used again anytime soon. And as others have stated,
    if Skyfall is largely set in England, I doubt they'd do the same with Bond 24.

The more I think about it, the last third of QoS owes a huge debt to MR.

In a sense, MR has been adapted for the screen over and over, just piecemeal and in disguised form.

It just occured to me today that Gustav Graves is a very poorly disguised Hugo Drax from the novel. I hadn't even twigged that the sword fight is at Blades - it would have been much cooler if Bomd had caught Graves cheating at cards. The fencing is ridiculous.