Differences or Strange Edits in the Bond DVDs/VHS tapes

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
I've always loved watching the differing versions of the Star Wars movies, since George Lucas is always making weird changes to them. Does anyone know of any crazy edits or differences in the Bond movies? SW had scenes like "Han Shot First" or the entire remake of the Max Rebo band in ROTJ, so are there any in the Bond movies? I can only think of that additional line that Felix has on some editions of Thunderball.

Comments

Maybe it's late and I'm tired but do you mean as in DVD to VHS releases, or vice versa even?

There's about five minutes of added film to License to Kill on DVD that I don't have in on a VHS release etc, think I've got in a mess here but I'll stick with what I said anyway
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Maybe it's late and I'm tired but do you mean as in DVD to VHS releases, or vice versa even?

There's about five minutes of added film to License to Kill on DVD that I don't have in on a VHS release etc, think I've got in a mess here but I'll stick with what I said anyway

the VHS edition of LTK i own doesn't have the extra bit, showing Felix's leg after being bitten off by the shark.... the ultimate edition dvd does..

while we are on LTK, it's not really a different edit from one format to the other.... but i always cringe at the adr'd "NOW GO HELP HELLER!".... he sounds angry one minute, and then kind of sad when he repeats it... i've always been miffed by this - they couldn't possibly get a better line out of Davi while doing adr
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    My old VHS tape of licence to kill was missing the James Bond theme that the bullets 'play' when they hit the tanker truck. It's on the DVD version.
  • There's a lot of diffrences between releases of Thunderball. The Ultimate Edition has a special feature on this!
    There's a lot of diffrences between releases of Thunderball. The Ultimate Edition has a special feature on this!

Do tell! What are some of the best?
    00Beast wrote:
    There's a lot of diffrences between releases of Thunderball. The Ultimate Edition has a special feature on this!

Sean says about four diffent lines when he escapes the shark tank.

The score over the finale is completely missing.

Some times the dubbing is removed.

Virage wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Sean says about four diffent lines when he escapes the shark tank.

The score over the finale is completely missing.

Some times the dubbing is removed.

What versions would these be? My special edition DVD and VHS don't have any of these.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,630

There you go, @00Beast.
    Well, it's not a DVD/VHS comparison but there's the infamous butchering of OHMSS when it aired on TV...

I remember a great site that did comparisons of the different editions (UE, SE) of the DVD releases. Really interesting just how much they changed the colour, framing, and brightness of some of the scenes compared to the previous release.
    Well, it's not a DVD/VHS comparison but there's the infamous butchering of OHMSS when it aired on TV...

I remember a great site that did comparisons of the different editions (UE, SE) of the DVD releases. Really interesting just how much they changed the colour, framing, and brightness of some of the scenes compared to the previous release.

Do you remember the name of the site? I'd be most grateful if you did! I've always been fascinated with how much one movie can change in its releases over the years.
    I know someone who may be able to help with that, but seem unavailable this night

If we can go back to the original comments on this then other inclusions (or cuts outs) even from VHS to DVD I found from time to time were

The whipping of Lamora, the shark attack on Leiter trimmed by a good 30 seconds, Krest in the pressure chamber, Dario in the cocaine grinder and Sanchez torched at the very end, (VHS copies reduced this significantly)

Also, Goldeneye had the head butt by Onatopp on Natalya in Cuba, an increased fight sequence with Trevelyan and Bond, but not too much else

TND had increased violence especially on the stealth boat near the end and some scenes with Yeoh using martial arts weapons etc, but nothing too significant

Even For Your Eyes Only, early editions had Melina cut out as she was roughed up on the boat by Kristatos and his crew, the knife scene attack etc

Anyway, that will do, Goodnight I-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The VHS US version of TB deleted the scene where Bond is massaging Pat's back: "Mink. It reduces the tensions." "Not mine." A shame especially because of the beautiful Barry cue.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @AgentJamesBond007

that underwater bit is 100x better with Barry's score... the music adds tension and excitement... without the music, the scene is pretty boring.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Are the scenes in TND on the stealth ship with Wai Lin and the ninja stars and where Bond kicks some guy in the head when hes already down included in the UEs I cant remember?

I've got a feeling those scenes have always been cut on the home releases and the only time I've ever seen them was in the cinema.
    Are the scenes in TND on the stealth ship with Wai Lin and the ninja stars and where Bond kicks some guy in the head when hes already down included in the UEs I cant remember?

I've got a feeling those scenes have always been cut on the home releases and the only time I've ever seen them was in the cinema.

On my Special Edition DVD and VHS versions of TND, the shuriken throw and the boot kick to the face are included, but are edited badly to where in th former, we see the throw and the resulting death, but not the impact of the shuriken itself. On the latter, we see the leg lash out, but the direct contact is really trimmed down to where only the guard's head falling back is shown.
    Does anybody have any more?
    Maybe this may be of some assistance -

It could be of some help -

Yes, this could be really something to see -

Wait for it -

People may like this -

I hope -

Oh go on then -

(going to feel damn embarrassed if this has already been seen, but I hope it's of some enjoyment or use to somebody out there, I did find it very informative)

8-X

Indulge Yourselves I say

http://www.zetaminor.com/dvd/james_bond_dvd/james_bond_guide_2_connery.htm
    Thanks Baltimore! Wow, what a find! That's a good read I must say!
    On my VHS tape of From Russia with Love, subtitles have been added to Benz and his Russian agent friend when they see Tatiana, Kerim, and 007 boarding the Orient Express. Instead of just the usual foreign babbling I hear on my DVD version, now Benz says, "Dear Corporal Romanova is defecting to the English!"
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    00Beast wrote:

On my Special Edition DVD and VHS versions of TND, the shuriken throw and the boot kick to the face are included, but are edited badly to where in th former, we see the throw and the resulting death, but not the impact of the shuriken itself. On the latter, we see the leg lash out, but the direct contact is really trimmed down to where only the guard's head falling back is shown.

On my UE you can see the shuriken hitting the man and Bond kicking the guard's face.
    00Beast wrote:
    On my VHS tape of From Russia with Love, subtitles have been added to Benz and his Russian agent friend when they see Tatiana, Kerim, and 007 boarding the Orient Express. Instead of just the usual foreign babbling I hear on my DVD version, now Benz says, "Dear Corporal Romanova is defecting to the English!"

I do not have any subtitle there. But on the scene where Tatiana talks to the police officer i had subtitles on my old SE version.
    I had old VHS copies that sometimes included them, sometimes not, there was another instance of this somewhere in the series but I cannot recall quite where. It's simply one of the characters would be talking in their native tongue and the subtitles would appear such as above, when Bianchi, Connery and Armendariz are boarding the Orient Express and Benz spots them trying to leave and when Romanova is at the Russian consulate and talking with friends, it sometimes tells you what is being discussed and sometimes not, especially with the older releases, obviously with the subtitles added, it is a great assistance etc
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 266
    on my original OHMSS vhs which was distributed by Warner bros the whole of the safe cracking scene in gumbolts office was cut. it went from when bond left draco and tracey in the car and said something along the lines of keep my martini cool to bond driving into M's driveway. it also cut the scene when bond's collegue was trying to get to the top of piz gloria in the cable car and he gets told its forbidden, it only showed him trying to climb the mountain. I'd never seen those scenes until the videos were re-issued by MGM/UA when Goldeneye was released in cinemas and i noticed that the video of OHMSS had a longer running time than the one i had. so i brought it and i see those scenes for the first time.
    Sharky wrote:
    on my original OHMSS vhs which was distributed by Warner bros the whole of the safe cracking scene in gumbolts office was cut. it went from when bond left draco and tracey in the car and said something along the lines of keep my martini cool to bond driving into M's driveway. it also cut the scene when bond's collegue was trying to get to the top of piz gloria in the cable car and he gets told its forbidden, it only showed him trying to climb the mountain. I'd never seen those scenes until the videos were re-issued by MGM/UA when Goldeneye was released in cinemas and i noticed that the video of OHMSS had a longer running time than the one i had. so i brought it and i see those scenes for the first time.

Wow, that's awesome! Wish I could find a copy of that version!
    00Beast wrote:
    Sharky wrote:

Wow, that's awesome! Wish I could find a copy of that version!

when me and my dad watched my original vhs copy he kept telling me about those scenes because he see it at the cinema in 1969 and i thought he had got it mixed up with another film (not bond film, just film in general) and i said no you must've got it wrong, so when i see the full uncut version for the first time my dad took great pleasure in saying i told you so.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 17
    The 1992/93 VHS of A View to a Kill is rather heavily edited for violence. The close-up of the poison butterfly in the dead Aubergine's cheek is missing, as is Klotkoff being chopped up in Zorin's pipeline (you only see him hurtling toward the blades and the scene cuts away before any blood is shown). Most of Bond rescuing Stacey from the burning elevator is gone as well. Also, Zorin's killing spree in the mine has been completely removed; you see him start shooting, after which the scene abruptly ends with the shot of the shack collapsing.

Several different prints of the films have been used for the various VHS/DVD releases over the years. For instance, most releases of The Man with the Golden Gun use a US print (which credits "color by Deluxe"), while the 1999 VHS uses a British print (which credits "colour by Rank Film Laboratories", and in which many shots do have a rather different look to them). Most releases of A View to a Kill have "Technicolor, prints in Metrocolor" in the end credits, while the SE DVD has just "Technicolor".

Also, the 1999 VHS releases have subtitles for many non-English lines. Not just the scene in From Russia With Love that has already been mentioned, but, for another example, the lines spoken by the Japanese girls tracking Bond and the entire Russian launch sequence in You Only Live Twice as well.
    The 1992/93 VHS of A View to a Kill is rather heavily edited for violence. The close-up of the poison butterfly in the dead Aubergine's cheek is missing, as is Klotkoff being chopped up in Zorin's pipeline (you only see him hurtling toward the blades and the scene cuts away before any blood is shown). Most of Bond rescuing Stacey from the burning elevator is gone as well. Also, Zorin's killing spree in the mine has been completely removed; you see him start shooting, after which the scene abruptly ends with the shot of the shack collapsing.

Several different prints of the films have been used for the various VHS/DVD releases over the years. For instance, most releases of The Man with the Golden Gun use a US print (which credits "color by Deluxe"), while the 1999 VHS uses a British print (which credits "colour by Rank Film Laboratories", and in which many shots do have a rather different look to them). Most releases of A View to a Kill have "Technicolor, prints in Metrocolor" in the end credits, while the SE DVD has just "Technicolor".

Also, the 1999 VHS releases have subtitles for many non-English lines. Not just the scene in From Russia With Love that has already been mentioned, but, for another example, the lines spoken by the Japanese girls tracking Bond and the entire Russian launch sequence in You Only Live Twice as well.

Nice examples @JerzyBondov! Thanks! I can't believe that about the AVTAK VHS tape. What a rip-off to those who only owned that version!
    Once again, there is a very good few pages for all that this thread is about, it really is a good read. A must see for any Bond enthusiast, it really is worth a look

Here's Roger Moore's tenure for example and the cuts made and changes done etc from tape to DVD and other edits done, all Bond films are featured as far as I know, except the Daniel Craig releases

http://www.zetaminor.com/dvd/james_bond_dvd/james_bond_guide_4_moore.htm

• edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Interesting that there are so many changes.

In particular I´m fascinated by the TB underwater scene without music score. The version with music works absolutely fabulous, but I always enjoy it when fighting is highlighted by having no music underneath. Which is kind of rare in Bond films ;) .
    I've heard that in GoldenEye, during the battle between 007 and 006 at the end, there was some extended footage of their fight, such as an elbow throw by 006 that was removed later on for violence cuts. Anybody care to shed some light on this if you can?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It's all been restored for the uncut UE DVD released in 2006.