As season winds down plans to continue with some shows or shelve them?

edited May 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
I don't watch much TV these days I may pick 2-4 shows and follow them. With the finales being aired which shows will you return to or drop like a bad habit?
My shows:
JUSTIFIED being a southerner myself i can relate to these backwoods characters. I will return.
AMERICAN HORROR STORY was not fond of the ending but will return out of curiosity.
RINGER I enjoyed this show. I will return next season.
ONCE UPON A TIME I was confused by the finale last night...jury is out on this one.
THE GOOD WIFE I love this show. I love the legal beagle stuff . Show is smart and witty. I'll be back.
REVENGE i doubt I will return for this show. I can't wait till they finally wrap this melodramatic shytt up.

Like I said, I don't watch much TV.
Your thoughts?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not bad choices. I loved the first season of Justified, but I just stopped watching. It's really hard for me to force myself to tune in to shows every week. I always forget, so I kind of stopped watching TV shows, and TV overall. I've heard good things from American Horror Story, though. Any interest in that new show 'Revolution'?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    honestly I wait until the season is over, and watch all the episodes in a short period of time.... like Justified and American horror story, I intend to watch the entire season in a few days... the only show this year I watched every week was person of interest - it's just too awesome :)

am currently watching the wire season 1.... next up game of thrones season 1 :)
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,492
    Not sure if anyone watches it - I've always casually watched it when it was on - but 30 Rock is ending its run next season:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/nbcs-30-rock-to-end-its-run-next-season/

Not sure if there already is one, but if not, perhaps this could get changed into a TV Show Appreciation thread?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I saw a couple of episodes of 30 rock the other day, and I really want to catch up on the entire series ! Alec Baldwin is awesome in that show !
    I saw a couple of episodes of 30 rock the other day, and I really want to catch up on the entire series ! Alec Baldwin is awesome in that show !

Yes, he is! I love his character on the show. If you have Netflix Play Now, I know they used to have a bunch of the seasons; I rid myself of Netflix a few years ago, but when I used my friend's account a few months back, they still had it. You can give it a straight through go on there, if you have it - or a friend who does.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690

this could either be good, or very bad.....
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Yes, he is! I love his character on the show. If you have Netflix Play Now, I know they used to have a bunch of the seasons; I rid myself of Netflix a few years ago, but when I used my friend's account a few months back, they still had it. You can give it a straight through go on there, if you have it - or a friend who does.

I don't think Netflix is available in France yet.... :(
    Yeah, I was thinking that last night when I saw the trailer. Has heavy 'The Hunger Games' and 'Lost' vibes to it, if you ask me. I doubt it will be around for very long, NBC never really knows how to handle the shows it airs.
    Looking forward to season 2 of Homeland!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My problem has been that I watched too many shows, and neglected literally all of them (about 8 or 9) and missed all of them. So I have about 100+ episodes to watch, which is utterly insuperable right now with all the other things I like to watch including films. One show I want gone is How I Met Your Mother. Never laughed a bit, and I don't see all the hooting and hollering over it. Same with 30 Rock.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 7,653
    Looking forward to the new season of The Glades and next season of Persons of Interest, which was easily the best new show this season. And looking forward to the next season of Castle as well.
    My problem has been that I watched too many shows, and neglected literally all of them (about 8 or 9) and missed all of them. So I have about 100+ episodes to watch, which is utterly insuperable right now with all the other things I like to watch including films. One show I want gone is How I Met Your Mother. Never laughed a bit, and I don't see all the hooting and hollering over it. Same with 30 Rock.

I'll agree with you on HIMYM: never saw the hilarity in it. I had a friend who watched every season in a row over a matter of months, and he would non-stop text me quotes from it that I just could not find the comedy in. I watched about half of the first season one day and couldn't get in to it - didn't care for the characters, didn't laugh, so I gave up.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I wanted to continue on with Alcatraz and The River (US TV series, y'know, the Paranormal Activity-like show), but they've been cancelled. That just tells me that viewers have less faith in TV now than ten years ago. Shows that were cancelled almost a decade ago are still going strong in reruns, and not one good show from less than five years ago gets that treatment.
    I wanted to continue on with Alcatraz and The River (US TV series, y'know, the Paranormal Activity-like show), but they've been cancelled. That just tells me that viewers have less faith in TV now than ten years ago. Shows that were cancelled almost a decade ago are still going strong in reruns, and not one good show from less than five years ago gets that treatment.

Alcatraz was appalling - how convenient that there was 280-ish people to retrive in order to have stories for 5/6 seasons of 24 episodes.....

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    They might be cancelling Cleveland Show. I say go ahead. It's no Family Guy and it doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as American Dad. It's the pimple on the arse of Seth Macfarlane's shows.

Also I didn't really watch Alcatraz. I stopped watching Lost once it went to Sky and once I got Sky and started watching it again it had really gone downhill, so I wasn't sure about a show from the same creator.

Anyone else watch Misfits? I think a 4th series is coming.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Alcatraz was appalling - how convenient that there was 280-ish people to retrive in order to have stories for 5/6 seasons of 24 episodes.....

As far as the acting goes, with the exception of Sam Neill, I'll agree with you. What I loved about it was the mystique behind it all. I'm a big conspiracy nut (and I believe some of them, but not all), and watching conspiracies on TV interests me (probably why I liked 24, too). Plus, though I never saw half of the show, Lost was kind of interesting to me, and a show by the same people was worth it.
    They might be cancelling Cleveland Show. I say go ahead. It's no Family Guy and it doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as American Dad. It's the pimple on the arse of Seth Macfarlane's shows.

Die Semi-Hard was The Cleveland Show's best episode. Other than that... I still give each episode a try, just to see if they can pull out a good showing instead of the sh*t we got last week, but I'm usually proven wrong.

Though, cancelling it? If FOX hasn't done it yet, they probably won't for a while. Either that, or it's gonna pull a Family Guy, get cancelled after season 3, then earn a phenomenal response during reruns on TBS and Adult Swim, sell far more DVDs than it deserves to, and then FOX will bring it back for a 4th-15th season.
    Also I didn't really watch Alcatraz. I stopped watching Lost once it went to Sky and once I got Sky and started watching it again it had really gone downhill, so I wasn't sure about a show from the same creator.

That was almost the same reaction I had to Stargate SG1 when it made the move from Showtime to SyFy... Interesting. However, I did end up watching the rest of the series on DVD, and then Atlantis, and Universe.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I don't watch much TV these days I may pick 2-4 shows and follow them. With the finales being aired which shows will you return to or drop like a bad habit?
    My shows:
    JUSTIFIED being a southerner myself i can relate to these backwoods characters. I will return.
    AMERICAN HORROR STORY was not fond of the ending but will return out of curiosity.
    RINGER I enjoyed this show. I will return next season.
    ONCE UPON A TIME I was confused by the finale last night...jury is out on this one.
    THE GOOD WIFE I love this show. I love the legal beagle stuff . Show is smart and witty. I'll be back.
    REVENGE i doubt I will return for this show. I can't wait till they finally wrap this melodramatic shytt up.

Like I said, I don't watch much TV.
    Your thoughts?

Ringer was canceled.

I recommend Game of Thrones and Mad Men, both airing now.
    I will be going back to AMC this fall, however, for The Walking Dead season 3. 16 episodes of great drama and zombies, a winning combination.
    I will be going back to AMC this fall, however, for The Walking Dead season 3. 16 episodes of great drama and zombies, a winning combination.

Was season two good? I caught the first one, loved it, and missed the first few episodes of the second season, so I figured I would wait until the blu-ray release and pick it up or rent it or something. I tried to ask my friend about it, but she doesn't understand the concept of holding back on spoilers, so I surmised this would be a bad idea.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Creasy47 wrote:

Was season two good? I caught the first one, loved it, and missed the first few episodes of the second season, so I figured I would wait until the blu-ray release and pick it up or rent it or something. I tried to ask my friend about it, but she doesn't understand the concept of holding back on spoilers, so I surmised this would be a bad idea.

Season 2 is slower. The majority of the season takes place in a [location], and not many zombies are shown, except in the mid-season finale (episode 7) and the season finale (episode 13). The primary focus of this season was character development, furthering the characters of Rick, Lori and Shane primarily, with Carl and Daryl taking the second spot. I'm not giving names away, but 2 characters die near the end of the season. One surprised me, but the other did not, as I have read a good deal of the comics. If you own season one on DVD/Blu-Ray, you have no real choice but to buy season two.

I hope that was spoiler-free enough for you.
    Yes I watched season 1 of 'walking dead' a few months ago in one quick go.... been meaning to watch season 2, but heard complaints about it online... thanks for the info @Agent007391 I'll be sure to watch it :)
  • I thought Season 2 of the Walking Dead was one of the few 'unmissables' on UK TV this season, thoroughly enjoyed it, I would add the current Game of Thrones and Mad Men to that as well.

I was starting to quite enjoy Dustin Hoffman in Luck but I had most if it recorded and couldn't see the point in watching them once I discovered Season 2 had been cancelled.
    I saw episode 1 of Luck with Hoffman... thought it was pretty good.

honestly I am seriously awaiting 'the newsroom', the new aaron sorkin drama :)
  • Still doing my usual shows-

Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire.
    I watched season 1 of burn notice and gave up - too cheesy, too cheap, too many irritating characters....

Die Semi-Hard was The Cleveland Show's best episode. Other than that... I still give each episode a try, just to see if they can pull out a good showing instead of the sh*t we got last week, but I'm usually proven wrong.

Though, cancelling it? If FOX hasn't done it yet, they probably won't for a while. Either that, or it's gonna pull a Family Guy, get cancelled after season 3, then earn a phenomenal response during reruns on TBS and Adult Swim, sell far more DVDs than it deserves to, and then FOX will bring it back for a 4th-15th season.

Yeah I forgot about the Die Hard parody. That's one of the only episodes I really enjoyed. The only other episodes I even slightly like are the ones where Family Guy characters make appearences, because then I can say "look it's Peter" or "look it's Quagmire". Maybe because the show is so bad that I wish I was watching Family Guy.

Fox have announced that Family Guy and American Dad are renewed, but they haven't said anything about The Cleveland Show. So it might've been cancelled. If it has though, there's apparently still enough episodes to make a 4th and maybe 5th series, so plenty more sh*t to come.

I forgot about Boardwalk Empire, without spoiling it for anyone, biggest shock season ending I can remember for a long time!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Fox have announced that Family Guy and American Dad are renewed, but they haven't said anything about The Cleveland Show. So it might've been cancelled. If it has though, there's apparently still enough episodes to make a 4th and maybe 5th series, so plenty more sh*t to come.

The Cleveland Show has enough episodes in the can for a fourth series anyway, so that's happening.

I doubt a fifth will happen and I'm sure we'll hear this year on that decision.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,044
    Well, i say How I Met Your Mother. Just finished the last two episodes that was released yesterday. And, it is really great!

HIMYM and Bond are the best entertainment in film or on tv ;))

I forgot about Boardwalk Empire, without spoiling it for anyone, biggest shock season ending I can remember for a long time!

Absolutely, I never saw that one coming either @-)
    @Agent007391, thanks for that. Spoiler-free enough for me!

Luck was another one that I really wanted to watch, missed the episodes, figured I would wait until the season finished - and then heard that it was cancelled after the three horses died on set. Pretty crazy way for a show to end.