James Bond Unmasked - All 6 Bond actors interviewed

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited May 2012 in Literary 007 Posts: 13,350
Veteran film journalist Bill Desowitz chronicles the 50-year evolution of 007 on the big screen in James Bond Unmasked (Spies), featuring interviews with all six Bond actors. Available June 1st on Amazon, this insightful book contextualizes the experience in a way that helps us fully understand and appreciate the contributions of each actor.

178 pages

jbu.gif

http://www.jamesbondunmasked.com/

Comments

Awesome
    Gonna get me a copy asap.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Sounds interesting. I like the cover. I'm probably going to get a copy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Looks like a must have for anyone remotely interested in Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sweet, but Laz looks a tad odd on the cover. :-S

Does anyone know when the interviews were done? That'd be great if all the Bond actors agree to them and did them recently.
    The Cover is a bit questionable

Craig, Dalton and Brosnan seem good enough, but Connery, Lazenby and Moore just look (I don't know), odd... or not themselves, whichever way you want to put it

I thought at first glance the first one was Burt Reynolds, the second looks absolutely nothing resembling George Lazenby and the third I honestly thought - was that great snooker player Steve Davis

8-| I'm sure it is a good read though
    They all look fine to me. I'll be adding it to my Bond book collection.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The Cover is a bit questionable

Craig, Dalton and Brosnan seem good enough, but Connery, Lazenby and Moore just look (I don't know), odd... or not themselves, whichever way you want to put it

I thought at first glance the first one was Burt Reynolds, the second looks absolutely nothing resembling George Lazenby and the third I honestly thought - was that great snooker player Steve Davis

8-| I'm sure it is a good read though

Lazenby looks the only one off to me. Brosnan is spot on. Note Moore's raised eyebrow.

Think I'll purchase this when it comes out. Hopefully it's at Barnes & Noble.
    This could well be worth buying? Count me in!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Quotes from the actors:

SC: They were exciting and funny, and had good stories and pretty girls and intriguing locations and a certain kind of style. And they didn't take anything for granted.

GL: There are a few moments where Bond's more vulnerable that I'm quite proud of. I was never one to walk away from a risk and this was the biggest professional one I ever had.

RM: As Spencer Tracy said, 'Say the lines and hit the marks.' As Lee Marvin said, 'Say the marks and hit the lines.' I carried somewhere in between.

TD: You do a Bond and it's bigger than anything. You incorporate it as part of your history. It rises out of proportion. There's nothing to compare with the notion of Bond in people's consciousness.

PB: I just hope that it's truthful and believable, having the time of his life killing people, drinking martinis, and shagging his way through the high society of every country he goes to.

DC: There are characteristic guidelines that you have to adhere to because it's a Bond movie, and we try and do that, but within the parameters of that, you mess it up, and that's the challenge and exciting thing about doing this.

ab1.jpgab2.gif
  • I like how wrong Pierce's quote is.
  • Hi Mr Desowitz, looks like a really interesting book. Would like to get a copy when its released.

I have a few questions:

(1) Were any of the Bonds different from how you expected or from their typical public persona? If so, in what way(s)?

(2) Did you get the impression that PB in any way realised that Die Another Day had gone a bit too far over the top?

(3) If you had to briefly describe each of their personalities (maybe in just several words) how would you?

(4) What exactly has GL been spending his time since OHMSS? (I don't mean to be vulgar, but how has he earned his living?)

Many thanks in advance.
    What exactly has GL been spending his time
    since OHMSS? (I don't mean to be vulgar, but
    how has he earned his living?)

I can answer this to a degree, After GL left Bond, he did 2-bit action movies in Japan for sometime, never really making it into the Mainstream as he hoped. I also read somewhere times got so rough for GL that he had to move back in with his mother. Im sure Wikipedia has all the information you need on him, past and present.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    a bit off topic, but i got to say that its so nice for this forum to have a great writter like that between our presence.
  • What exactly has GL been spending his time

I can answer this to a degree, After GL left Bond, he did 2-bit action movies in Japan for sometime, never really making it into the Mainstream as he hoped. I also read somewhere times got so rough for GL that he had to move back in with his mother. Im sure Wikipedia has all the information you need on him, past and present.

Thanks. Yes there are quite a few credits for him on wikipedia. I suppose I was just trying to get a sense for whether hes struggled or is comfortable. Whether the work has come easily or whether hes had to work hard to find it.
    What exactly has GL been spending his time

Wasn't it chinese? I heard he was going to be in Game Of Death with Bruce Lee before he died (I suppose he's glad he didn't do it in the end because the film turned out crap).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I like how wrong Pierce's quote is.

Indeed. And how about George:

"There are a few moments where Bond's more vulnerable that I'm quite proud of. I was never one to walk away from a risk and this was the biggest professional one I ever had."

Right, you are a big risk taking tough guy. You never walk away from a risk? Oh, so that's why you tapped out after one film and quite before the thing even released? Yeah, what a big risk taker you are Laz. What a dolt.
  • I wasn't sure what to expect when I embarked on this journalistic adventure, quite frankly. But I've enjoyed the privilege of discussing their experiences and insights, and I came away with a better understanding of how each approached Bond. And it was fascinating to then watch the films all over again, one after the other, with this roadmap, and to make my own observations as well. Of course, it's also noteworthy to follow Craig's progress from the beginning with his unique origin story, and I look forward to continuing what I've started.
  • By the way, as a bonus, I've included the transcripts at the end to convey the flow of the conversations and to provide more from them.
    great work. ill be purchasing immediately
  • The book will eventually be listed on Amazon in the UK and the others internationally as well.
    Congratulations for your book, it's an honor to have between us fans a real professional on Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This is seriously great work, a holy grail for Bond fans. I personally can't wait. It's unique because there's something there for everyone who has an interest, whether it be in a specific era or actor, something a lot of books miss out on these days.
    Looking forward to getting this for my birthday next month. Perfectly timed release in my opinion :-)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    PB: I just hope that it's truthful and believable, having the time of his life killing people, drinking martinis, and shagging his way through the high society of every country he goes to.

This part does have an element of truth to it. Bond DID have the time of his life shagging people - maybe not killing them though ;)

He was an indulgent son-of-a-bitch.

The book looks great.
  • I like how wrong Pierce's quote is.

Indeed. And how about George:

"There are a few moments where Bond's more vulnerable that I'm quite proud of. I was never one to walk away from a risk and this was the biggest professional one I ever had."

Right, you are a big risk taking tough guy. You never walk away from a risk? Oh, so that's why you tapped out after one film and quite before the thing even released? Yeah, what a big risk taker you are Laz. What a dolt.

You know that's not true, right? Laz wanted to sign a 7-movie contract with EON, but his agent gave him some bad advice. It was due to his agent that he never got to play 007 again. It's been covered on the main website somewhere, quite an interesting read.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I'm linking the following thread which was closed as a duplicate, but the author offers some interesting info in it that isn't yet in this thread.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3090/james-bond-unmasked-book#Item_9
  • A great idea for a book. Best of luck to you.
  • So the book is already out in the US?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    So the book is already out in the US?

The opening post says the book is out 1st June.