Is it better when Bond is chasing or being chased?

Comments

That would surely be Connery in Diamonds are Forever though ?

Full and Fat I mean.. :P
    That would surely be Connery in Diamonds are Forever though ?

Full and Fat I mean.. :P

That was Pierce inDAD!
    Yes Brosnan wasn't as lean and mean as pre 2002 but still looked the part here and there, although as with Connery in 1971, had simply lost the shape for Bond by then, both should of departed by then, Sean did of course, but was lured back for an ill advised sixth time by an astronomical carrot of a salary. I don't remember Brosnan or Connery doing much running in their final appearances, there's little chance he could of replicated some of his running endeavors seen in Goldeneye for sure, maybe a ten meter burst and that would be about it maybe
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Yes Brosnan wasn't as lean and mean as pre 2002 but still looked the part here and there, although as with Connery in 1971, had simply lost the shape for Bond by then, both should of departed by then, Sean did of course, but was lured back for an ill advised sixth time by an astronomical carrot of a salary. I don't remember Brosnan or Connery doing much running in their final appearances, there's little chance he could of replicated some of his running endeavors seen in Goldeneye for sure, maybe a ten meter burst and that would be about it maybe

They should have CGI'd the running into the movie. Infact, why not just CGI all Pierce's scenes using his GE bod.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote:

They should have CGI'd the running into the movie. Infact, why not just CGI all Pierce's scenes using his GE bod.

There's too much CGI in DAD already. Don't make it worse.
    @Getafix Are you refering to 'his Goldeneye physique', as in, Yes Brosnan was in much better condition then and seemed appropriate, so we put that into every subsequent release ?

No, it's not a good idea. Bond ages as with every actor that ever played him, take Craig for instance, he looked lean and mean and rough and ready in 2006 for his debut, we don't know quite what Skyfall has in store, but Craig is expected to do another couple of releases thereafter, so therefore in his final outing in a few years time, we can expect a different level of vigor and noticeable differences from his first time out

You're basically saying why not have any Bond actor be the same all the way through, as in for instance, have a Moore of 1985 with the Moore presentation of 1973, for A View to a Kill. It just wouldn't work, just let them age gracefully and do their releases as they see fit. It may seem a bit of a muddled answer but I was trying to explain that Bond should just go the way it does naturally, I never want any CGI of previous scenes of a Bond from previous releases put into more recent ones if you understand, just let Bond mature with age and I think that's all very well and good, what you suggested should never be attempted for the good of the series

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Guys, I was joking... you know, cos DAD had so much dodgy CGI already, why not go the whole hog and just animate Bond?
  • I love Bond making an Omelette.

TLD is a cracker of Bond movie btw.
    Getafix wrote:

Getafix wrote:
    Guys, I was joking... you know, cos DAD had so much dodgy CGI already, why not go the whole hog and just animate Bond?

It's okay I knew you were joking, just couldn't resist another jab at DAD's poor CGI.
    Getafix wrote:

Getafix wrote:

It's okay I knew you were joking, just couldn't resist another jab at DAD's poor CGI.

Phew, worried I'd overdone the sarcasm for a second...
    My favorites are when Bond is being chased. Roger did a great deal of chasing and he always played it for laughs.
    Moore's stunt double did a lot of chasing..

Let me think of one top example both ways where Bond is chasing/being chased

Best Bond chasing

Brosnan after Trevelyan in Cuba (Goldeneye), satelite dish sequence

Best Bond chased

Maybe Moore and Grishka (Octopussy), train ride

those were just two spontaneous examples I went with but seem content enough
    We definitley need a good Bond being chased sequence. Long overdue
  • Bond can be pretty badass when he's chasing somebody. We've gotten some great action sequences out of that. See: LTK's tanker chase, GoldenEye's tank chase, TWINE's Thames chase and bunker shootout, CR's parkour chase, Skyfall's PTS chase.

However I think I overall prefer the sense of danger and excitement when Bond himself is being chased. See: OHMSS's ski chases, LTK's Wavecrest hunt, TND's parking garage chase, DAD's diamond mine escape, QOS's opera chase.

And ultimately, I believe I prefer those action sequences and set-pieces where the advantage changes hands and Bond unexpectedly switches back and forth from being on the offensive to being on the defensive. See: TND's stealth boat finale, TWINE's caviar factory shootout. Keeps things interesting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I much prefer it when Bond is being chased personally. There's an added touch of suspense to it. FRWL's PTS always comes to mind (even though it wasn't Bond).
    Ideally you'd have a mix of both in one movie, but being chased.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Interesting that this has come up because I recently finished writing an article that touches upon this very topic. In terms of Bond's heroism, there is a difference. When Bond is in pursuit, he is usually making conscious decisions; when being pursued, he is usually improvising. Both show different forms of skill.

Think in terms of this: GE Bungee jump, and DAD surfing...vs ski chases in OHMSS, TSWLM, et al.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Two of my favourite chase scenes are when Bond is being chased.

TB when he escapes from Fiona and the gang. I remember on my first viewing seeing him shot in the leg and thinking "Whoa this is different. He's in real danger." Bond hadn't really bled that much up to that point. I like how he's using his wits to get away. The interplay on the dance floor with Fiona and the stranger is quite grand too. "Thank you I would love to!" "Love to what?"

OHMSS when he needs to get out of Piz Gloria that is a great chase. The ski scenes were beautifully shot and convey the danger and speed of the chase. I also like how it takes him two attempts to get that second ski.

I would love to see a good old fashioned foot chase with Bond escaping real danger.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    thedove wrote: »
    Two of my favourite chase scenes are when Bond is being chased.

TB when he escapes from Fiona and the gang. I remember on my first viewing seeing him shot in the leg and thinking "Whoa this is different. He's in real danger." Bond hadn't really bled that much up to that point. I like how he's using his wits to get away. The interplay on the dance floor with Fiona and the stranger is quite grand too. "Thank you I would love to!" "Love to what?"

OHMSS when he needs to get out of Piz Gloria that is a great chase. The ski scenes were beautifully shot and convey the danger and speed of the chase. I also like how it takes him two attempts to get that second ski.

I would love to see a good old fashioned foot chase with Bond escaping real danger.

I agree with this. It will probably have to wait until the next Bond actor. There is just something about a young, vibrant Bond running (think TLD PTS and the Madagascar chase in CR).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2017 Posts: 6,778
    My favourite chase is the LTK finale, in which he is the one chasing. Overall though I would prefer him being chased.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I'd say Bond chasing the bad guy because you put yourself in Bond's shoes and it's more exciting than the inverse of that. For example, I actually prefer the entire Miami Airport chase (w/ the rising urgency) in CR, than the TSWLM car chase. Both are masterpieces of action filmmaking but watching Bond acting 100% focused and determined on finishing his 'job' - and doesn't care about his immediate health - is way more exhilarating for me, compared to him effectively running away and killing some mere 'nuisance'. Don't get me wrong, I love any type of chase but I prefer watching Bond giving his best to achieve his goal.
    we finally got Bond being chased in SP and the car chase was utterly lame.

definitely prefer it when Bond is being chased on foot or on skis
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good scenes with Bond chasing in TMWTGG; , TLD,CR, QoS, SF and SP. Well done Craig era.

Good scenes with Bond being chased in GF, OHMSS,TSWLM, QOS and SP.

Pretty much evens out. Prefer a mix.
    There is a nightmarish quality about Bond being chased that recurs in several of the early films. He's often chased through a crowd where his route is blocked and he can't escape. It's a nice device. Wish they'd return to that vulnerability of Bond being hunted more often.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This is a dumb argument. I honestly don’t care so long as the chase adds something to the film and that it’s exciting. One of the reasons CR’s Madagascar chase is so highly acclaimed is because it’s an excellent example of showing character through action.

This is a dumb argument. I honestly don’t care so long as the chase adds something to the film and that it’s exciting. One of the reasons CR’s Madagascar chase is so highly acclaimed is because it’s an excellent example of showing character through action.

Agreed and yes, that video makes a great case as to why that chase is the best of the Craig era. Very well put together.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d even cite the GE tank chase as a good example of character through action. It’s not necessarily supposed to be perceived as suspenseful so much as it’s supposed to be seen as a character study in just how far Bond will go in order to accomplish the mission. It’s also supposed to be fun.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I miss these types of sequences

And dare I say...

Those are good too, @Getafix.
    Obviously Bond can do the chasing too, but I just always think there's more peril and suspense when it's Bond who is the quarry.