Most Competent Bond Villain

Comments

^^ Yeah... it's sort of an unfair comparison to begin with, really, since Blofeld got to operate in several movies. ;)

Thanks, @thelordflasheart.
  • I was about so say Silva, but I'm not going to take a main villain but a henchwoman: I think Irma Blunt tops the score here: she escapes unscratched, has her revenge alongside Blofeld and she's never been catched.

The sad note here is that we can say this because Ilse Steppat died suddenly and she couldn't enjoy the success of her performance =((
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Either Silva either Trevelyan for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Well, it has to be Silva, surely? He did, ultimately, succeed.
    My vote goes to two:
    Francisco Scaramanga
    Franz Sanchez

Scaramanga was the highest paid assassin in the world. He was coldly good at his job and he managed to schmooz the Chinese into giving him that island complete with all the creature comforts.

Sanchez because he had worked his way up to a top position in his own drug empire (no small feat) He successfully bribed politicians and law enforcement. His weakness: a woman. Lupe set events in motion when she ran away and he came after her. I do not penalize him too much. He is not the first powerful man to fall for a pretty face.
    I was about so say Silva, but I'm not going to take a main villain but a henchwoman: I think Irma Blunt tops the score here: she escapes unscratched, has her revenge alongside Blofeld and she's never been catched.

The sad note here is that we can say this because Ilse Steppat died suddenly and she couldn't enjoy the success of her performance =((

Irma Bunt was the most resilient, certainly, but not sure about the most competent, these are, after all, two different things.

On a side note, I had hoped, back in the 90s, that they would bring her back for one Bond movie with Brosnan, without any mention of Blofeld himself, to bring a sort of closure to OHMSS.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    1. Scaramanga - You didn't find him, he found you.
    2. Sanchez - Had a huge drug empire for himself.
    3. Blofeld - SPECTRE would have succeeded if he hadn't killed off everyone.
    4. Trevelyan - Give the guy credit for faking his death and eluding MI6 for all those years.
    5. Silva - Hacking MI6, regaling us with stories about rats, killing M and destroying Bond's childhood home is a pretty good day's work.
    6. Kananga - Duel role of Caribbean dictator and American gang leader is a pretty darn impressive resume. Now, about that voodoo stuff.
    7. Orlov - Personally, if I was going to take over Western Europe, it would have been for more than for a few Faberge Eggs.
    8. Zorin - If ever a true madman found near success, it was Zorin.
    9. Kristatos- Had MI6 fooled in his double agent role.
    10. Carver - The guy knew how to bring in the ratings.
    My vote goes to Frans Sanchez. His only mistake was to target Bond's friends.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Seeing that Blofeld managed to get away with it over the course of five films-no contest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I want to say Silva because he ultimately did do what he wanted to do - kill M - but Blofeld wins this for eluding everyone and causing so much mayhem over the course of the films.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I'm gonna say Silva. His plan was to humiliate MI6 and he semi-succeeded.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So many mention Silva, but check out the OP. Not much profit in it.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Blofeld is very good with his plans but I take a few points of him for wasting money. His aim was always to get rich but he seemed to have plenty of money to spend. He wants a hundred million dollars in gold in YOLT. Would that even cover the cost of his volcano lair, spacecraft and private army? You could argue that he needed to have a volcano lair to keep secret but what about all the traps he used to kill various SPECTRE agents? I doubt those piranhas were cheap. And Piz Gloria, did he really have to buy himself a home in the mountains?

In the end though this seems to take it's toll as by DAF he's been forced to down size and his secret base is just a measly oil rig, then by FYEO he's left with nothing. If Blofeld had retired before YOLT he could've lived the rest of his life as a millionaire but instead he constantly tried to get richer and it backfired.

The moral of the story: be happy with what you've got.
    Silva was the closest to success, Goldfinger was the most profitable, but on a combination between success and profit, gotta go Elliot Carver. True, it’s elaborate and full of non-sequitus, but this is in some senses what happened in 1859 at the beginning of the opium war. The Chinese, have not forgotten; they still consider this the beginning of Western imperialism descending on China. So, Elliot Carver's makes the most logical and profitable sense.

I say we just go off of who was the most competent in succeeding, not so much who had the most plausible/profitable scheme. I opened up a thread a while back talking about which villain had the most plausible plan:

http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1285/which-villain039s-plan-seems-most-plausible/p2#Item_47

I still feel Silva and Blofeld rank highly up there. As someone else put it, Silva wanted to humiliate and murder M, and he succeeded in doing both.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I say we just go off of who was the most competent in succeeding

But Blofeld didn't succeed. His aim was always to get money and when you think about it he probably lost loads of money. Sure he survived for a couple of films and he accomplished a lot along the way but he still didn't succeed, none of his evil plans ever worked.

Silva succeeded but his plan was so stupid that it was a miracle he managed it. He wants to humiliate and kill M, why bother getting himself captured, having fake police on standby, blowing up the tube, etc? I get that he wanted to do it himself but why not just travel to London? All he did by getting himself captured was let MI6 know that he was there. He could've just gone there himself and had the guards kill Bond in Macau when he snuck onto Severine's boat.

I also don't think he did a great job revealing the agents. Putting them out a few at a time on Youtube? Copyrighted videos on Youtube get taken down instantly so I'm pretty sure a list of real undercover secret agents wouldn't last long enough for all these terrorist organisations to see it.

Plus, he was thwarted by a fire extinguisher. Doesn't seem all that competent to me.
    @thelivingroyale, it's one of those things with Silva where if he did that, we wouldn't have a movie, unless they went with another revenge route where Bond tracks down Silva after he assassinates M, which could've been pretty good. Bond easily snuck into M's flat, why didn't Silva just do the same? He had numerous opportunities, but we wouldn't have the film if he just offed her in the beginning. He obtains the hard drive, destroys Bond's home, manages to unveil quite a few undercover agents, and succeeds in killing M.
    I always thought Renard was pretty no nonsense in what he wanted to achieve!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 14,842
    About Blofeld: we only see his defeats in the movies, and we only see a glimpse of the successes of SPECTRE in the board room scene in TB. Between Bond's missions, how often did SPECTRE succeed? judging by the organization's and its leader's resilience and reputation in the underworld and among rogue states, one can safely assume very often, and for big money.
  • Sanchez!
    RogueAgent wrote:

Wasn't he a henchman?
    RogueAgent wrote:

Wasn't he a henchman?

Because Michael Apted says so. The movie is far from clear on the subject, in fact he is build up as a villain.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    It has got to be Vesper. If it wasn't for her, no Bond movies.
    XXX wrote:
    It has got to be Vesper. If it wasn't for her, no Bond movies.
    She wasn't a main villain henchman villain in general.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    Villainous in action, there is no functinal difference.
    XXX wrote:
    Villainous in action, there is no functinal difference.

Well, yes there is. A villain is someone who acts in a certain way because of certain motivations, not someone coerced into doing something wrong by someone else. A mole can be a villain, but not all moles are. the whole relationship between Bond Vesper is conflictual because she is the object of blackmail, an ambiguity that would not exist against a villain.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,643
    "Would that even cover the cost of his volcano lair, spacecraft and private army? You could argue that he needed to have a volcano lair to keep secret but what about all the traps he used to kill various SPECTRE agents? I doubt those piranhas were cheap. And Piz Gloria, did he really have to buy himself a home in the mountains?"

Re : the private army......slave labor ?

Re : space craft , yeah that would never come cheap........

Let's face it PG was waaaaaaay cheaper than the volcano , also he wanted it to appear low key , like any other ski resort ;)

I had 3 piranhas as pets , they were 12£ a piece.....they lived about 10 yrs and the last one lived 14 yrs ;)

Also they grew immidiately when I had them in a 142 gallon tank , had I had more than 3 I prolly would not put my hands in the water , mine only grew to half sz'd compared to those in nature.......very shy in captivity unless blood in the water , usually when they bite it's accidental cuz they get so excited during feeding......they might bite if they're scared too , more self defence for them than they trying to hurt you.

Obviously they had plenty of space to grow in Blofelds pond ;)
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Wasn't he a henchman?

Because Michael Apted says so. The movie is far from clear on the subject, in fact he is build up as a villain.

I would say equal to Elektra King and not a henchman!
    Scaramanga : the only reason he died was his own ego.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 14,842
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Wasn't he a henchman?

I would say equal to Elektra King and not a henchman!

That would be the right way to put it and the correct approach. But Apted was a tad schizophrenic in his approach, switching focus back and forth between Elektra and Renard.