Daniel Craig seems to really be at ease in being "James Bond".

edited May 2012 in Actors Posts: 224
In the beginning, he seemed a little stiff. He reminded me of what Michael Caine said about his buddy Roger Moore. Caine said, " There is nothing to compare with the pressure of being the new James Bond. The publicity could destroy you, let alone making the picture. He (Rog) was in such great physical condition. He stood up. But even he wobbled. I'm telling you. It was tough."

It seems to me that Daniel is much more comfortable in the role, very good with the news media, does well in the interviews. He did a terrific job playing Bond in the first two. But I sense that he is really going to hit the sweet spot in his 3rd movie. I'm really looking forward to "Skyfall". Has anyone else noticed how comfortable he now appears?

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I also have the same feeling, and the way he got Bardem and Mendes involved in the film also shows how "at home" he feels about it.
    True, true. I'm hoping the pay off is a more assured, and humourous Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    There is a noticeable difference between the recent Press Conferences and the two for this. He is at ease, joking and even taking the lead in on or the other occasion...like he said in one interview - in CR he didn't really know, what he was doing, QOS was --- well QOS and now, its all in good place. Judging by the pics of them as a crew and a team, they all really seem to njoy the ride.
    Despite perhaps some nerves in CR he carried it off well.
    yeah i would say so too. CR was about nerves and the unknown? QOS was about pressure? Now the new movie really is DC's baby with the amount of involvement he has had.
    In a way, I think there is more pressure this time. With CR and QoS he was building the character. Now he has to nail it.
    Small wonder. You get better at what you do with practice. Craig's fairly at ease with the role and the production now because by now he's an old hand. We only got two flicks with him but he's involved in the franchise since 2005, quite some time now. Glad to see him settle into the part now.
    Kennon wrote:
    Small wonder. You get better at what you do with practice.

Really? Does the 'history' of the series always support this theory? I'm thinking of a certain Irishman.

IMO within his abilities and the general direction Eon was taking (generic action flicks with a gunbarrel and 007 theme) Brosnan did get better. The problem was the demands and the potential didn't go beyond that, so there was little actual difference between Brosnan's.
    Kennon wrote:
    IMO within his abilities and the general direction Eon was taking (generic action flicks with a gunbarrel and 007 theme) Brosnan did get better. The problem was the demands and the potential didn't go beyond that, so there was little actual difference between Brosnan's.

I agree. He was actually very good. It was just everything else around him that let the films down.
    I'd say there was room for improvement, only improvement wasn't felt necessary. Now with Craig I feel there is a definite awareness QOS wasn't already what they wanted to achieve, so I think there's a pressure on improvement now, yet Craig seems relaxed enough, a good sign.
    Getafix wrote:
    In a way, I think there is more pressure this time. With CR and QoS he was building the character. Now he has to nail it.

Yeah for me this is sort of the moment of truth, he played the rookie Bond well, now it's time to see if he can play classic Bond (which btw, I think he probably can).
    Getafix wrote:

Yeah for me this is sort of the moment of truth, he played the rookie Bond well, now it's time to see if he can play classic Bond (which btw, I think he probably can).

I agree. I have the faith. Just hope Dame Judi doesn't keep popping up and ruining it. If there's too much action as well, it could just become a Punch and Judi show...
    Getafix wrote:

I hope he's even better without that baggage. He looks confident enough to me. Nice thing is, they don't seem to just go through the motions.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 643
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I agree. I have the faith. Just hope Dame Judi doesn't keep popping up and ruining it. If there's too much action as well, it could just become a Punch and Judi show...

Shocking...positively shocking :O haha
    Getafix wrote:
    Kennon wrote:
    Small wonder. You get better at what you do with practice.

Really? Does the 'history' of the series always support this theory? I'm thinking of a certain Irishman.

Unbelievable. Without fail.

I thought PB was absolutely FANTASTIC in his third outing, TWINE. I thought he nailed it.

If DC is so great, why do you need to constantly bash PB?

:-<
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Some folks on here like to continue to badmouth actors - say Pierce or Judi - and just continue to enjoy spreading the same negativity. They are in that groove and like it. I am pretty sick of the near constant bashing; it changes little. Sort of like garbage flowing in with the tide - just try to sidestep it and get on to the meatier, more thoughtful or interesting entries.
    Asking why they bash (it is more than one member who does this) merely gets them on their soapbox again, and again.
    Craig isn't the best Bond the franchise has even seen, in fact he may never be, to get close to Connery or Dalton you have to go some, Lazenby was too wooden, Moore was too much emphasis on humor, Brosnan too slimy and americanized, and Craig a bit too thuggish, but the latter has those certain qualities I look for in the James Bond character, a minimum on slapstick nonsense, and with a serious demeanor and straight faced approach. Royale was a good debut performance, QOS couldn't live up to expectations and Skyfall is being hyped up by some quarters to be the main event of the series and big things are expected and Craig will be center stage, and in the middle of it all, and I think he'll do well. I was initially skeptical when he was given the Bond part but for the most part has done rather well, he seems comfortable in the role even
  • Some folks on here like to continue to badmouth actors - say Pierce or Judi - and just continue to enjoy spreading the same negativity. They are in that groove and like it. I am pretty sick of the near constant bashing; it changes little. Sort of like garbage flowing in with the tide - just try to sidestep it and get on to the meatier, more thoughtful or interesting entries.
    Asking why they bash (it is more than one member who does this) merely gets them on their soapbox again, and again.

Not just DC/JD bashing that goes on though? DAF gets constantly bashed, so does MR and AVTAK, DAD gets bashed. Actors who get bashed include Roger Moore, Charles Grey, George Lazenby and Grace Jones to name but a few. And you know something? With the exception of Lazenby and DAD, i love all those films/actors. It's just different people have different tastes
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Some folks on here like to continue to badmouth actors - say Pierce or Judi - and just continue to enjoy spreading the same negativity. They are in that groove and like it. I am pretty sick of the near constant bashing; it changes little. Sort of like garbage flowing in with the tide - just try to sidestep it and get on to the meatier, more thoughtful or interesting entries.

Not just DC/JD bashing that goes on though? DAF gets constantly bashed, so does MR and AVTAK, DAD gets bashed. Actors who get bashed include Roger Moore, Charles Grey, George Lazenby and Grace Jones to name but a few. And you know something? With the exception of Lazenby and DAD, i love all those films/actors. It's just different people have different tastes

I never really understand the bashings that AVTAK and MR get. And how can any one bash Sir Roger or even Lazer? That's absurd! However, bashing DUD, PB and Judi is another matter entirely. We have a RESPONSIBILITY to the younger generation on here to bash those guys consistently. At every opportunity.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Getafix wrote:

I never really understand the bashings that AVTAK and MR get. And how can any one bash Sir Roger or even Lazer? That's absurd! However, bashing DUD, PB and Judi is another matter entirely. We have a RESPONSIBILITY to the younger generation on here to bash those guys consistently. At every opportunity.

Please, you can't mean that your only responsibility on this forum is to bash some few certain things? Come on, there is so much other things that are worth talking about then constantly bashing Brosnan.
    MrBond wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Please, you can't mean that your only responsibility on this forum is to bash some few certain things? Come on, there is so much other things that are worth talking about then constantly bashing Brosnan.

I suffer from an extreme fear of having to watch another Brosnan movie - I am Broza-phobic. When people suggest that it would have been a good idea for him to come back and do a 5th movie because he wasn't given a fair crack with the first four, I get nightmares, cold sweats and have to watch CR several times back to back to remind myself that it never actually happened. I do try and bash other things, like Judi Dench and 'going rogue' story lines, but somehow bashing PB is always more satisfying and goes straight to the heart of the matter, which is of course, that PB was the worst Bond ever and .... you get the gist.
    Its not 'bashing' if they support their argument. (even opinions, yes)

If they explain why they don't like a character, its not 'bashing'. (:|
    Much like Connery and Moore in their third film, Craig will establish what his particular Bond is. This is his GF, his TSWLM.