007 James Bond Archives Book - Available for Preorder

2»

Comments

Worth the cash? Looks tempting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I got this for Christmas and while the pictures are great, really stunning being half way through I'd say it has little in the way of new information, there are some bits and pieces though and I'd bet the GoldenEye onwards sections should be full of new titbits.

I'll update next week, I should have it finished by then.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,068
    I've had other things to concentrate my funds towards lately but am now figuring what the heck, it's £90 on Amazon and I like the idea but is it all gloss and no substance? Nice to have and everything but it's a mighty piece of memorabilia to find a space for! Could anyone fancy doing a frank and honest review of this please?

A few words would be great, thank you.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    To expand on what I said above, most of the text used for the earlier films was taken from the DVD special features and commentaries. If you know them by heart, there's little new information in that sense. Though as the films go on and you get to the most recent ones, it does get better, also let's not forget the pictures are first class. Really great stuff. For £90, honestly I wouldn't but for £50, yeah by all means snap it up, it looks great on the shelf. I feel it's very much an 'official view' though.
    Many thanks for that @Samuel001 - you echo what I actually feel about it and why I haven't bought it yet - I guess it's ideal as a present as the best gifts are always one's that you'd love to get but cannot justify although the gift giver would need to be certain it's a hit before investing their finances...
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It is exactly that. I was gifted it last Christmas, I believe it cost £100, so needless the say it made day and I was reading it well into the New Year. Just look above. On 3rd January, I'm yet to move onto GoldenEye.

It is also worth mentioning there is a section at the end of the book, which contains two pages of photos of the Bond family over the years. Some great shots such as Barbara Broccoli on the set of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, being only eight years old. The work on the two unofficial films is also stand out stuff, a good look at how so much went wrong!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Have to agree with the others.

The photos are first class but for the 50th anniversary and £100 was it too much to expect some original text? Most of the text is available from other sources with whole interviews being just copied and pasted.

Sadly yet another case of laziness for the 50th merchandise like 007 Legends, Corgi and the bluray box set - although this I'm a class above those and us beautiful thing to own. It's just that if you're a true fan (and who else would buy this?) you already probably read it elsewhere.
    Have to agree with the others.

The photos are first class but for the 50th anniversary and £100 was it too much to expect some original text? Most of the text is available from other sources with whole interviews being just copied and pasted.

Sadly yet another case of laziness for the 50th merchandise like 007 Legends, Corgi and the bluray box set - although this I'm a class above those and us beautiful thing to own. It's just that if you're a true fan (and who else would buy this?) you already probably read it elsewhere.

And I actually disagree completely here. Why? Because I was actually stunned to read some new insight. You cannot expect that after a frikkin' 50 years suddenly a whole new previously undetected Bond archive is opened.

Some examples/quotes from the book from someone who actually took the time to read it:

'OHMSS':
    George Lazenby: "We're sitting around the dinner table ready to do this scene where Angela had to write her room number on the inside of my thigh with lipstick. We practiced this a couple of times, and the camera was going to pan under the table.
    Just before the take, Mr. Weymouth, the prop master, said: "Do you mind if we have a bit of fun here?" They taped this big German sausage, which they had heated up in hot water, to the inside of my leg with camera tape. This was were Angela Scoular had to put her hand down to put her room number there.
    They said: "Okay. Roll over." We all thought that Angela was going to jump up and run, but the scene went smooth as a glass. Everyone was looking at each other, scratching their heads, and Angela leant over to me and said: "You've got no pants on." So it backfired completely. Angela was such a sport.
    "

'NSNA':
    Michael Caine: "I remember once I was with them [Sean Connery and Diane Cilento] in Nassau. Diane was cooking lunch, and Sean and I went out. Of course, we go out and one thing led to another, you know, and we got back for lunch two hours later. Well, we opened the door and Sean said, 'Darling, we're home'-and all the food she'd cooked came flying through the air at us. I remember the two of us standin' there, covered in gravy and green beans."
    Irvin Kershner: "I remember listening to the Carter-Reagan debate on television in 1979, and when Carter claimed that the next president of the United States would more than likely have to deal with a nuclear hijack, the skin of the back of my neck began to crawl. That's the situation in 'Never Say Never Again' and I don't believe that the idea is pure fantasy anymore."

'SF':
    Paul Duncan: "After the box-office success of 'Quantum Of Solace' at the end of 2008, screenwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, together with Peter Morgan, worked on a treatment titled 'Once Upon A Spy' that was delivered November 2, 2009. The story revolved around a past indiscretion of 'M' in Russia that could ruin the reputation of MI6. It was at this point that Sam Mendes, who won the Academy Award for his debut film, 'American Beauty', in 1999, agreed to direct "Bond 23"......"
    "But at the end of 2009, MGM Studios found itself on the verge of bankruptcy, and was a financially precarious position throughout 2010, which prevented Bond 23 from going into production."
    Sam Mendes: "I had more time with the script than I would otherwise have had. In the end it was a blessing."
    Paul Duncan: "Purvis and Wade submitted the first full draft script on November 18, 2010, titled 'Nothing Is Forever'. Many of the elements and characters are in place. Bond meets a rather shabby and tubby Quartermaster at an East End Café. The villain, originally called "Javier Bardem" in anticipation of casting the actor, was now named Raoul Sousa. Sousa wants revenge on 'M' for betraying him. He plants a bomb to kill thousands of people on the Barcelona metro using an airborne neurotoxin, and uses this as a diversion to get 'M' to a safe house where he can kill her. After the death of 'M', a bureaucrat named Mallender takes over her position at MI6."

'DAD':
    David Arnold: "John Barry's stuff worked in a film that was much more leisurely paced, and had much more room for music to breathe-it wasn't so frenetic. Contemporary action movies are in your face all the time."

'GF':
    Screenplay conference February 3rd, 1963: CONNERY, BROCCOLI, MAIBAUM:
    --> Connery feels tone of script all wrong. Wants serious approach with humor interjected subtly as in other films.
    --> Connery feels that Bond's involvement with Goldfinger in Miami is too casual. He should be starting his investigation of Goldfinger there after finishing assignments in South America.
    --> Connery is very much against Pussy bouncing him around. He said make something of their relationship or drop her out of the script.
    --> Connery thinks squeezing the golf ball is ludicrous.
    --> Connery thinks the gangsters at the Stud Farm are 'Guys and Dolls' characters. Instead they should be real menaces.
    --> Connery feels Goldfinger and Bond, as characters, should be more as they are in book. Thinks script is in bits and pieces and not "full".
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I was perhaps a bit harsh and I found some of the stuff from the archive amazing. But you can't deny that whole tracts of text were just copied wholesale from other books and articles that I have certainly read before even if you haven't.

I didn't find it as insightful as Charles Helfenstein's OHMSS book and given he did that all on his own whereas this was 'open access to all of EON's archive' I find that a bit poor.

Don't get me wrong it's expensive but it is a gorgeous thing to own. Value for money? Guess that depends on how much you earn but £100 is just a decent meal out for two so I guess by that criteria it is.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    I don't like the font they used for the text. That's a shame, but overall, any Bondfan should own this massive book. Great photos, text and printing. I'm really proud to have it in my collection!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It's an amazing looking book, I've taken a look at it at a library (a few times actually). Funny thing in what you posted @Gustav_Graves about Raoul Sousa, they exchanged one of the most common Portuguese surnames by the other, probably because Sousa is not as easily pronouceable as Silva. As for Mallender? I'm glad they went with Mallory instead.
    Sandy wrote:
    It's an amazing looking book, I've taken a look at it at a library (a few times actually). Funny thing in what you posted @Gustav_Graves about Raoul Sousa, they exchanged one of the most common Portuguese surnames by the other, probably because Sousa is not as easily pronouceable as Silva. As for Mallender? I'm glad they went with Mallory instead.

I found Connery's criticism about Goldfinger's screenplay very insightful. He basically sums up the problems I have with 'Goldfinger'. GF was indeed a change in style after the first two Bond films DN and FRWL. Problems with the original novel were translated in a way more casual and sometimes even cheesy Bond film. Sean Connery didn't really like these 'funny' items.

David Arnold's comment on his music for DAD basically confirms what I have been fearing all the time: It was about time Arnold left and a new replacement came onboard. He was looking way too much to the overall film, forgetting that he can put his own musical stamp on the series.

I never knew about the sausage-joke on the set of OHMSS. It's always nice to read that it wasn't all bad experience for Lazenby on his first Bond outing. It reminded me a bit about the make-up-joke Terence and Sean made when they prepared for the make-up of Bob Simmons as Widow Bouvar. Very funny ;-).

I also never knew very well what Irvin Kershner's ideas were for NSNA: Not ust the 'non-EON-film', but always a Bond film that is and will always be a James Bond film featuring Sean Connery. Nice to see that all the actors on the set of NSNA were happy...especially when they were around Sean Connery. If all these fights and feuds between EON and Broccoli didn't take place.....man......Connery should have quit after TB in 1965, then come back three more times in 1983, 1985 and 1987. Connery looked way moore Bond in NSNA then Moore did in OP.

Also very insightful to read this wunderful title 'Once Upon A Spy'. Wunderful. And very good to build the screenplay around one actor instead of the other way around. It makes it easier to get big stars on board.
    I'm drooling right now. I want this!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I'd agree with the criticisms regarding the text, I can't honestly say I learnt much that I hadn't already read elsewhere, but my biggest issue (apart from the exorbitant price!) is a practical one, for a book this heavy it is just too badly shaped and impossible to read unless sitting at a table, it is a big read and I would of preferred to dip in and out of it while sitting on the sofa or in bed, but instead I had to hunch over my dinning table feeling rather like I'm cramming for an exam rather than enjoying a hobby. Still I'm getting old and I'm allowed to start moaning about trivial stuff like that, on the plus side though the plentiful amount of large photos are just amazing!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Anyone know anything about the SPECTRE edition?
    This is the first time I've ever heard of it. From Amazon:

"In collaboration with EON Productions, this trade edition of The James Bond Archives includes all the same stunning imagery and behind-the-scenes knowledge as the original XL book, just with a smaller format and a softer price-tag. The result is an affordable, compact yet comprehensive record of every single Bond film ever made, beginning with Dr. No (1962) and ending with Spectre (2015)."

Release date: December 1, 2015

"In collaboration with EON Productions, this trade edition of The James Bond Archives includes all the same stunning imagery and behind-the-scenes knowledge as the original XL book, just with a smaller format and a softer price-tag. The result is an affordable, compact yet comprehensive record of every single Bond film ever made, beginning with Dr. No (1962) and ending with Spectre (2015)."

The big one is the charm of it :-). Sorry, not going to buy the re-edited new version with only SPECTRE included.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3836551861/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437007064&sr=8-2&keywords=the+james+bond+archives

Price is certainly not too big.
    I'll be awaiting December 1. Or perhaps a good Christmas present
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I think Xmas present. From me to me of course. ;-)
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3,675
    royale65 wrote: »

:))
    royale65 wrote: »

:))

I can give you a beautiful christmas present with my strong Dutch speedskating legs:
    Kjeld%20Nuis%202.jpeg
    :D B-)
    For those of you who have seen the original & Spectre edition, which would you recommend?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 3,675
    I got the Spectre edition for my birthday. Now, do I buy the original? The perils of Bond fandom. I hate it. Advice please.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Check for yourself ;)