MI6 Forum Surprises

124»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    timmer wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    Guy Hamilton crafts the best escapist Bond IMO.

Glad you included IMO there to qualify the insane drivel you have just written.
    Sorry my bad, I'll be sure to defer to your genius in future. :-B
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Why did it take Cubby a further 2 films where the quality continued steadily to decline before he intervened?
    Well, simply because DAF did a lot better at the box office than OHMSS, and LALD did even better than that. TMWGG nose-dived at the box-office, so hence the change.
    Quite. The Wizard is still getting up to speed on his Bond IQ.

If you care to actually read what I said I commented on the quality and never mentioned the box office returns. Hamiltons 3 film tenure in the 70s represents the laziest period in the series with sloppy writing and production values and everyone just getting away with the bare minimum. At first the box office held up because for DAF you had the return of Sean and for LALD you had a new (and crucially popular actor) as well. But Cubby should have spotted the overall malaise that culminated in the lacklustre TMWTGG a lot earlier and before it nearly sank the series.
    JBFan626 wrote:

1. It's not a proper revenge story. True, but it is what it is. Lazenby wasn't coming back. It wouldn't make sense to have someone else avenge Tracy's death.

Hate to break it to you but its actually a James Bond film not a George Lazenby film. How would it not make sense in a series of films with the same character to have some sort of continuity?

For someone so quick to bandy around terms like 'getting up to speed on his Bond IQ' this is risible. If I'm still having trouble getting up to speed what are you driving? A Robin Reliant?

I presume the scene in FYEO that had some bloke called Roger Moore standing at the grave of Teresa Bond left you utterly bemused?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sloppy writing in DAF, LALD, and TMWTGG ? :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694

Yes, @DC007, you are right. The scripts are so stupid they are funny! ;) They actually give me physical pains, but that's just me... :-&
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Yes, @DC007, you are right. The scripts are so stupid they are funny! ;) They actually give me physical pains, but that's just me... :-&

I am not saying they don't have plotholes.... but they feature so many quotable one liners and cult classic scenes.... :)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can understand how they could be favourites, or that they have quotable lines but cult classic? I don't think anything Bond related is cult. Let alone cult classic. Bond is too mainstream to be cult, imo.
    Ok, maybe 'cult classic' was a bad choice of words, but IMO DAF, LALD and TMWTGG contain many iconic/famous scenes of the franchise. Plotholes in the scripts yes, but so many very entertaining scenes and quotable one liners that make me forgive their plot errors. :)
    Ok, maybe 'cult classic' was a bad choice of words, but IMO DAF, LALD and TMWTGG contain many iconic/famous scenes of the franchise. Plotholes in the scripts yes, but so many very entertaining scenes and quotable one liners that make me forgive their plot errors. :)

Indeed, there is so much splendor in these three, you just have to let the mistakes go!
  • Love LALD...when I was younger, the bus and the bridge scene was so iconic and memorable for me....and THAT soundtrack...wow, just makes me smile thinking of the quality
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And I will never do that. I am not letting a movie pass because it was entertaining and forget the crater sized errors in it. And I mean crater sized, and not little things.
  • Ok, maybe 'cult classic' was a bad choice of words, but IMO DAF, LALD and TMWTGG contain many iconic/famous scenes of the franchise. Plotholes in the scripts yes, but so many very entertaining scenes and quotable one liners that make me forgive their plot errors. :)
    And I will never do that. I am not letting a movie pass because it was entertaining and forget the crater sized errors in it. And I mean crater sized, and not little things.

Just out of interest, what do you see as flaws in LALD?

Just out of interest, what do you see as flaws in LALD?

For me, the only flaws in LALD was the PTS, it's just so boring. I'm black and tbh most of the stereotypes don't offend me, maybe if it was made today but it's an old film, and a good one.
  • PTS sucked massively in all fairness. A PTS which said "this is Roger Moore as 007" would have been good but the material in the PTS was needed. And let's be honest, TSWLM changed the concept of the PTS massively from a gentle ease in to a Bond film to a thrill ride.

The stereotypes in LALD are embarassing but aren't as bad as they could have been imo. Though even if they were the most offensive, with view to the movie, would they be considered a flaw/crater-size hole in the story??

Agreed. DAF, TMWTGG, YOLT, TSWLM, MR and TND are the best written Bond movies IMO. Great plots.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,425

Agreed. DAF, TMWTGG, YOLT, TSWLM, MR and TND are the best written Bond movies IMO. Great plots.

Not totally sure about these.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,622

There are plot holes in these films, especially LALD, but all three feature some very clever writing, especially the first two. But smart writing was Tom Mank's stock in trade.
    On the forums I've been surprised by how many people passionately love and defend some of the more generally accepted failures of the series. Eg. DAD, MR, DAF.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Volante wrote:
    On the forums I've been surprised by how many people passionately love and defend some of the more generally accepted failures of the series. Eg. DAD, MR, DAF.
    I would say there is only one "generally accepted" failure among fans. I base this on the aggregate rankings of over 150 Bond fans, that I personally compiled and posted for the board (the old board) at the end of 2010. All of the other 21 films got plenty of respect, and all got some share at least of top 3 respect, from various quarters, but DAD was in a category of shame all its own. The aggregate drop-off from film 21 to DAD was akin to the cliff jump, Bond navigated in the TSWLM pts.
    btw the hands down winner was FRWL. It was miles ahead of the next grouping of OHMSS, CR and TB which were quite close in the 2-4 spots. TLD, GF and DN, were tightly grouped in the 5-7 spots. Then there was a precipitous GE like bungy-drop to 8th place.
    As a result, based on a very sizeable sample of commited Bond fans, it's also fair to say there is a distinct super-7 of Bond films, with FRWL towering above the other favoured films.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

TND?!?!?

Yeah considering the script for the last half hour reads 'Bond just walks around like Arnie machine gunning anything that moves' it really is a travesty it was overlooked for best screenplay.

Classic 007RogerMoore.

Cant even be bothered to dispute DAF and TMWTGG any more.

TND?!?!?

Yeah considering the script for the last half hour reads 'Bond just walks around like Arnie machine gunning anything that moves' it really is a travesty it was overlooked for best screenplay.

quote]

And that's Brozza's best movie...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Benny wrote:

It is.

This discussion has been closed.