Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    It's been a while so I need to see it again, but I remember War For the Planet of the Apes was a stunningly amazing film. Woody Harrelson in particular really brought his A game to this film.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767

Much more of a nightmarish dream or vision than a war film. It´s been a long time since I was physically tensing in the theatre this much. It feels a lot like that Sandra Bullock movie. I doubt I will want to watch it repeatedly. But this one time was a time to remember!

The trailers didn´t even come close to delivering an impression of how this film in its entirety works.

1917 - not unlike his 007 movies a lot of visuals with remake of the Saving private ryan only much milder. More of boys adventure quest. 2/5
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    boldfinger wrote: »

Much more of a nightmarish dream or vision than a war film. It´s been a long time since I was physically tensing in the theatre this much. It feels a lot like that Sandra Bullock movie. I doubt I will want to watch it repeatedly. But this one time was a time to remember!

The trailers didn´t even come close to delivering an impression of how this film in its entirety works.

I particularly liked the night sequence.
    Did I mention that I walked out of Knives Out?

Maybe it was not my day, but the half that I saw did nothing for me. Sure, great performances galore from known and unknown actors. And the architecture of the house was very fascinating. But even with the good-humoured performances all around I found myself not caring.

And I´m not one of those TLJ haters ;-).

Maybe it was not my day, but the half that I saw did nothing for me. Sure, great performances galore from known and unknown actors. And the architecture of the house was very fascinating. But even with the good-humoured performances all around I found myself not caring.

Well, the plot really started rolling during the second half... not unusual in "whodonit" films.
    THE GENTLEMEN
    Well this was a surprise! Wasnt expecting much from this, Guy Ritchie back in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking barrels mode! But it is great fun.
    Slow to start but when it gets going....really entertaining!
    Great cast, Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant and stealing the show, Colin Farrell. Great set pieces, music and foul language in abundance. Well worth a look!
    jobo wrote: »

Well, the plot really started rolling during the second half... not unusual in "whodonit" films.
    I had no doubt about that. I wasn´t expecting any rolling plot. But there was nothing holding me in my seat. And that I demand from any film. Like I said, maybe it wasn´t my day ;-).

Mathis1 wrote: »
    THE GENTLEMEN
    Well this was a surprise! Wasnt expecting much from this, Guy Ritchie back in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking barrels mode! But it is great fun.
    Slow to start but when it gets going....really entertaining!
    Great cast, Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant and stealing the show, Colin Farrell. Great set pieces, music and foul language in abundance. Well worth a look!
    Great to hear, @Mathis! Corroborates my initial gut feeling.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    Licence To Kill

It's never been a favourite of mine, if find it rather dull and uninteresting, but it worked surprisingly well in the cinema! Daltons performance really stood out, even though his Bond doesn't feel completely right in the movie, and the action set pieces were excellent. John Glen really is a brilliant action director, which becomes even clearer when you watch his Bond movies on the big screen. Both the sea plane sequence and the truck pursuit are fantastic! Ant that Bond theme by Michael Kamen... absolutely perfect!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    The sonic movie was pretty good and alot of fun the audience was loving it the whole time and being a sonic fan lots of cool callbacks I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars lots of humor maybe too much humor but the humor that is there lands very well.
    RICHARD JEWELL

Eastwood has done it again and delivered a gripping and interesting movie. I didn t know this story too well beforehand, but hardly surprising to see how this played out. Recommended.

dice_four-512.png
    TENET
    dice-six-vector-icon.jpg

My first trip to the cinema since Knives Out. Amazing movie. Really smart script and unbelievable effects. All performances are great. My only nitpick is that it is a bit noisy at times. Still, this needs to be seen in the theatre. Just about a dozen attending, but it was a Tuesday afternoon screening.

If I should rank the Nolans;

01 INCEPTION
    02 TENET
    03 MEMENTO
    04 THE DARK KNIGHT
    05 BATMAN BEGINS
    06 THE PRESTIGE
    07 DUNKIRK
    08 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
    09 INTERSTELLAR
    10 FOLLOWING
    11 INSOMNIA
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    edited September 2020 Posts: 254
    Joker

Joaquin Phoenix’s portrayal of an aspiring stand up comedian’s unsettling descent into a life of crime the titular Mr J is phenomenal. He isn’t a Joker dipped in a vat of chemicals or asking how he got facial scars. He is a Joker pushed to the edge of society by the rich and poor divide of Gotham, and whom gives previous Jokers like Nicholson, Ledger and Hamill a clear run for their money.

Solid support from Robert De Niro’s talk show host, a grimy and rundown Gotham, and THAT stair dance scene make this the movie of 2019. Todd Phillips has crafted a masterful, bleak, dark, nihilistic and disturbing origin story that stands on it’s own two feet.

5/5

(This was the last movie I saw at the cinema in October 2019. Until the current pandemic dies, I won’t be going for a very long time.)
    THE WAR WITH GRANDPA

Some very funny scenes throughout, and De Niro is great as always. Not many people attending, and I was undoubtedly the oldest.
    dice-clipart-number-4-1.jpg

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Cinemas are closed since a few months already.
    Tenet: 6/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 40,372
    I went and saw Nobody earlier today, my first cinema outing in ages. It's a nice John Wick clone, though not as good, and I loved the variety of action and traps mixed with the comedic timing and bits of lore throughout. The finale felt a little stale, something we've seen countless times, and I wish it was a bit more grounded and centered on Odenkirk's Hutch (who is an excellent action hero), but it still checked a lot of boxes for me and was an entertaining return to the theaters for me.

The whole theater felt pretty dead. Things like water fountains and sinks and the bar were shuttered and there were maybe 10 people in my showing, with the entire row to myself. I really enjoyed that.
    RETFÆRDIGHEDENS RYTTERE (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2020)
    This was great and had it all. Good story, well made, intense drama and plenty of fun. Mikkelsen was amazing as usual, but not just him.

69232334.jpg?imageId=69232334&width=512&height=308

BLACK WIDOW (Cate Shortland)

The best Marvel movie in a while, and no one is more badass than Black Widow, although The Taskmaster (Olga Kurylenko) gave her some competition.
    Black-Widow-Taskmaster-Black-Panther.jpg

Terningkast+fem.jpg?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

@Thunderfinger, Mads looks proper intense in that one, I really want to see it when I get the opportunity.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, Mads looks proper intense in that one, I really want to see it when I get the opportunity.

You definitely should. It has some interesting twists and turns.

I like the sound of that. Mads has been knocking it out of the park lately, especially with Another Round. I also loved his work in The Hunt from a few years back, such a crushing movie.

I like the sound of that. Mads has been knocking it out of the park lately, especially with Another Round. I also loved his work in The Hunt from a few years back, such a crushing movie.

The Hunt was good. Haven t seen Another Round yet.

The Hunt was good. Haven t seen Another Round yet.

I loved it, thought the performances were excellent and it was an interesting look into a drunken experiment, of sorts.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Just noticed this thread for the first time ever and had to chuckle, since the last movie I saw at a theatre was SPECTRE. And I think, SKYFALL before that. I just don't go to "the movies" any more unless a new Bond film comes out. Wait, some friends persuaded me to go see the Coen's HAIL, CAESAR! when it came out. Must have been after SKYFALL.
    RETFÆRDIGHEDENS RYTTERE (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2020)
    This was great and had it all. Good story, well made, intense drama and plenty of fun. Mikkelsen was amazing as usual
    His best performance to this date is in Pusher II (amazing trilogy):
    ChaosWalkingPosterbigmainimg5991.jpg
    Original and well made. I had a nice time.
    4/6.
    DUNE
    jbareham_200909_1049_dune_0002.jpg?itok=4BOTlgbg
    Villeneuve has done it again. Looks fantastic, great cast, the score elevates the whole thing. Looking forward to Part Two.Hopefully before the year 10 191.

6/6.

NO TIME TO DIE
    no-time-to-die-james-bond-daniel-craig-mgm.jpg?resize=768%2C432
    R.8dec94048401c0945256c7f9cc50f8a1?rik=I6zMINfwr9Wg1w&riu=http%3a%2f%2fa1.s6img.com%2fcdn%2f0008%2fp%2f1947526_9718615_lz.jpg&ehk=1g4B9Ex%2byQrQulf88rHK%2fT6PR3Ob6FWwEcAmozrq5Do%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    DOUBLE INDEMNITY, 1944
    At BFI Southbank
    5/5
    While I think Sunset Boulevard remains my favourite Wilder film, and perhaps one of my favourites of all time, Double Indemnity is no less a stellar film that it is rife with witticisms, wonderful performances (a special mention to Edward G. Robinson as Keyes), and all the trappings of a terrific film noir.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    No Time To Die - what is the score here? Are we doing 5 stars as tops or what?
    It's a solid 5 out of 5 for me or 10 out of 10 - whatever the highest score is, that is what I am rating it. I've seen it twice now. Beautiful, moving, great Bond film.