'Skyfall' Scalextric set revealed

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited April 2012 in Merchandise Posts: 13,350
Take a look!

You get the two main cars from the film. The Aston Martin DB5 and the Range Rover Evoque.

C1294(2).jpg
C1294-Track.jpg

Space Required: 210 x 140cm
Track Length: 532cm

Special Features

Digital Plug Ready
Magnatraction
Super Resistant
Quick-change Braid

http://www.scalextric.com/shop/bond-james-bond/c1294-scalextric-james-bond-007-skyfall-set/

Comments

• Looks rather bland if you ask me, the track that is. Cover art looks pretty cool.
    This either confirms there is no car chase in the movie, so they just picked two of the cars (Bond's Aston and the Land Rover that transports him) or that a car chase will feature between these cars.
    Personally i have no interest in seeing the DB5 in any more bond movie's. Its presence in GE and CR vaguely recall it being in TND (been a while since i watched it) did not feel right to me. its a car that belongs to another era of bond movie's. i know its iconic, its too nudge nudge wink wink to the audience for my liking. On the scalextric my nephew would probably love it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Personally i have no interest in seeing the DB5 in any more bond movie's. Its presence in GE and CR vaguely recall it being in TND (been a while since i watched it) did not feel right to me. its a car that belongs to another era of bond movie's. i know its iconic, its too nudge nudge wink wink to the audience for my liking. On the scalextric my nephew would probably love it.

Well said sir. It was bad enough shoehorning it into GE, TND and CR for no other reason than it was known to the audience as James Bonds car.

This is a relic of history and theres no reason for it to still feature except as a pthetic DAD esque homage. Most modern saloons would kill the DB5 these days. Bond is supposed to use cutting edge technology so why is he driving a museum piece?

Well said sir. It was bad enough shoehorning it into GE, TND and CR for no other reason than it was known to the audience as James Bonds car.

This is a relic of history and theres no reason for it to still feature except as a pthetic DAD esque homage. Most modern saloons would kill the DB5 these days. Bond is supposed to use cutting edge technology so why is he driving a museum piece?

There were 12 movie's that did not have DB5 in them after TB, i am sure not many people screamed out why is the DB5 not inLALD or TLD etc admittedly quite happy to see the volante in TLD. After a 6 year hiatus i can almost forgive them for having it in GE reintroducing bond back into the public consciousness and all that. though in the recent movie's it feels out of context and take's me out of the movie momentarily.

There were 12 movie's that did not have DB5 in them after TB, i am sure not many people screamed out why is the DB5 not inLALD or TLD etc admittedly quite happy to see the volante in TLD. After a 6 year hiatus i can almost forgive them for having it in GE reintroducing bond back into the public consciousness and all that. though in the recent movie's it feels out of context and take's me out of the movie momentarily.

I agree the DB5 shouldn't be in Skyfall, especially not as the main car. I was hoping Bond would drive a jag in this one.
    I was hoping Bond would drive a jag in this one.

He will.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 816

He will.

You're right, but I'll be M's car, not his.

Anyway, I've no problem with the DB5. It's a great looking car, and it bring a lot of class. And it seems that in this one, it might actually play an important and logical role. It's just another part of Bond's heritage.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837

He will.

Yeah, but the DB5 seems to be the main car. And I think the Jag is Ms.
    Anyway, I've no problem with the DB5. It's a great looking car, and it bring a lot of class. And it seems that in this one, it might actually play an important and logical role. It's just another part of Bond's heritage.

An important role that could be played by a more modern car. It's another part of Bonds heritage, that should stay back in the older films. They included things from past films in DAD and people hated that.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,665

Bond is supposed to use cutting edge technology? Yeah...sure...like a 1930s Bentley in the late 50s. Bond is supposed to like his hobbies, and his hobby is his car, a relic he keeps in good conditions and has modified through the years to surpass or endure his living style and profession. Bond isn´t about keeping up with the time. The times go by, Bond is Bond, and so is his car. If he is given new cars from Mi6, sure, they have to be modern. But Bond has his personal car...again, a RELIC, as it should be.

Besides, anyone who is a true car fan will have to grinn when they look at the DB5, it´s truthfully a masterpiece, as is, say the e type, or a 250gto.

Why is Bond driving a museum piece? Because, deep down, he IS a museum piece, in a modern world. A St. George up to slay the dragon.

My 2 cents anyway. Cheers.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Univex wrote:
    Bond is supposed to use cutting edge technology? Yeah...sure...like a 1930s Bentley in the late 50s. Bond is supposed to like his hobbies, and his hobby is his car, a relic he keeps in good conditions and has modified through the years to surpass or endure his living style and profession. Bond isn´t about keeping up with the time. The times go by, Bond is Bond, and so is his car. If he is given new cars from Mi6, sure, they have to be modern. But Bond has his personal car...again, a RELIC, as it should be.

Besides, anyone who is a true car fan will have to grinn when they look at the DB5, it´s truthfully a masterpiece, as is, say the e type, or a 250gto.

Why is Bond driving a museum piece? Because, deep down, he IS a museum piece, in a modern world. A St. George up to slay the dragon.

Very well said, @Univex.
    gt007 wrote:
    Univex wrote:

Very well said, @Univex.

Thank you.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    gt007 wrote:
    Univex wrote:

Very well said, @Univex.

I have no problem with Bond using it as a personal car that makes the odd appearence, I just don't like how it seems to be the films main car (it's rumoured to have gadgets).

But I'm not really a true car fan, I'm more of a motorbike man myself.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,665
    Rumoured. And it probably, if true, fits the script. Who knows at this stage? But really, I would kill to see Daniel Craig´s Bond in his personal, modified old DB5 kicking some modern Range Rovers a** with realistic gadgets. Why? Because it´s...Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Sun said it had gadgets when in fact as far as we know it doesn't. Anyway, chill, it's going to get blown up by the end of the film anyway.
    Hmm.. I almost thought this was a joke. People are really interested in these?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited April 2012 Posts: 1,380
    Thanks for finding this @Samuel001

With or without gadgets, the DB5 must still be a smooth ride as M manages to fall asleep.
    JamesPage wrote:
    Thanks for finding this @Samuel001

With or without gadgets, the DB5 must still be a smooth ride as M manages to fall asleep.
    Yes, and those worn leather seats do not seem confortable. Maybe it´s Bond who´s a boring company.
    Not very original for me sadly! Its just models they already have pretty much and track? Is? Well track!
    Based on that cover art, I suppose we'll be seeing a cool car chase with the DB5 in SkyFall!
    Ow man so Bond is going backwards with the Db5 here ... was hoping for at least an awesome car scene involving at least a million bucks in the wrecking
    In my 23 years I've never had one a scalextric (I did have a train but) so perhaps this would be a good excuse to get one and also get some bond too :D
  • I have been a serious collector for some 40 years with a collection in excess of 4000 items - okay that makes me an anorak! Obviously sad to see the DB5 go but it did play an important part in the film but cars and gadgets have to move on if Bond is going to appeal to new fans in the future.
  • BenBen
    If only it wasn't £120...
  • I won't buy this set as it isn't anything we'vr not seen before. Pretty basic. As for the DB5, I love it and never tire of seeing it in a Bond movie. I'm not someone however that needs it to appear or never want it to appear again, it's always about the story, that's what really matters.
    The only different thing is the models! And we all have a DB5 anyway!
  • Rather than a Scalextric set, which apart from the cars, is all old hat, relating to track etc (though I have bought a set). It would be far better to stay with the production of limited editions of the cars shown in skyfall, either singularly or twin packs - they are cheaper, easy to store, and I feel, these would appeal more to a wider audience.