HaphazardStuff CR review series. *Daniel Craig intro online*

124»

Comments

I liked a lot of his reviews, even though I don't agree with all he says. But when it comes to QOS, I think he is getting really unfair. Yes, Greene used a convoluted way to get rid of Camille. But that is perfectly in character! And why wouldn't he give her to General Medrano to sweeten the deal, since he has the opportunity?
    I did like his "cut your own version of Quantum" replica idea though. That was quite funny! :))
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    HASEROT wrote: »
    am i the only one who gets annoyed whenever he says Vespa??.. it's Vesper

That too.

That said, I do agree with him when he says we see too little of Mr White. QOS could have been, should have been, a movie with a committee of villains, so to speak, like FRWL, TLD and to a lesser extend OP were. I am happy with what we got in the end, far more than many people here, but more Mr White and some quieter moments would have improved it tremendously.

I also agree that the PTS was superfluous and they could have started QOS in Sienna, with the chase against Mitchell as the PTS, ending with the gunbarrel as Bond shoots Mitchell.
    (deleted)
    The final part is up:

"It's so incredibly dull it doesn't even reach the heights of epic disaster"

Wow!!
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been looking forward to that. Now let's be patient for the Skyfall one
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The final part is up:

"It's so incredibly dull it doesn't even reach the heights of epic disaster"

Wow!!

Is that him talking about his own reviews? =))
    after viewing the entirety of Hap's QOS review... I gotta say that I agree with him for the most part...

...i agree that the story (in retrospect) should have been streamlined more to Bond seeking out the ones responsible for Vesper's death and uncovering Quantum - and less about everything else (ie: Modrono, Camielle, Boliva)... they could've really cut the fat off of the story and really made it into a singular focus driven plot..
    ...i agree that they rushed way too quickly to put this film out during a writers strike, when they probably should've been a bit more patient - and it shows on screen. The story just barely makes enough sense, but it's weak. Had they not rushed and waited for Haggis to put his full polish on the script, it could've been much much better..

Quantum has dropped in my rankings from where it started - but it still sits in the middle of the road for me, and I don't think it could ever fall further than that. There is too much i like about the cinematography (thats not chopped apart by spastic editing), the music, the performances - that while the story is weak, it has just enough to keep me entertained.
    I just finished watching his pts 3 and 4 of QoS review and I don't think he was too hard on the movie. He was brutally honest. QoS is not a very good film.
    I agree with his comments about Camille. I thought I was alone in having a total dislike of her and her revenge storyline

And I agree with the seduction of Agent Fields. I had no idea where it came from, there was no buildup and it was not in keeping to Bond mourning Vesper. The only reason the sex isthere was because Bond is expected to sleep with women in his films.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    He doesn't consider it worse than DAD and overall I agree with him.

But I think QoS makes the same mistake as DAD in that it falls victim to "hip" editing and tries to be trendy in its presentation.

Both films also have two sets of fights going on simultaneously amidst a fiery background during the climax.

I'm surprised he didn't mention that actually.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    As usual I find it hard to directly disagree whit a lot of what he says. (I have already highlighted those areas where I do...). But I think he was in general overly critical of this one. In amongst all the problems, Quantum has many strong points and things going for it. And I'm surprised he didn't highlight those more, instead nitpicking every tiny detail to bits... and repeating his complaints over and over again... But maybe he is still to dissapointed to see the good stuff.

Regardless of the verdict, this was one of his more tedius reviews. He bashed DAD with humour and spark, here he is far more monotone and whiny. This review smells of dissapointment end frustration, and it's a bit tiresome to listen to actually... I feel the running time could have been far shorter as well, considering the fact that he ends up repetaing himself to death a lot of the time. But then again his thoroughness is one of the reasons why I like his reviews in the first place...

Hope we don't have to wait too long for his Skyfall review!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    You could certainly sense his disappointment from the first part of the review.

A lot of his comments come down to "it's not fun to watch".

I do agree with him regarding a lot of the review though (I too would call it the most disappointing Bond film). I was never a big Camile fan to be honest either. I didn't DIS-like her but felt she lacked any real charm as a character.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Just watched the review. I think he summed it up when he stated it wasn't bad film, it was disappointing. When I first saw QoS, I found that I left the theater having an incomplete feeling about the film, but I enjoyed it. The second time around, I didn't enjoy it as much. I agree that the focus should have been on mourning for Vesper and finding more about Quantum. Such a missed opportunity that now we don't know if Quantum will ever be played out.

Although why he didn't upload this before the review, his QoS preview is up on youtube:

• RC7RC7
    HASEROT wrote: »
    ...i agree that the story (in retrospect) should have been streamlined more to Bond seeking out the ones responsible for Vesper's death and uncovering Quantum - and less about everything else (ie: Modrono, Camielle, Boliva)... they could've really cut the fat off of the story and really made it into a singular focus driven plot..

Been saying this ever since I saw it. It's like they never fully embraced the idea of a sequel and attempted to shoe-horn in enough elements to make it feel stand alone. This should've been the Get Carter of Bond movies. Screw the editing, this is the biggest problem with QoS.