Copyrights for Bond

MrBondMrBond Station S
edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,044
We read in school for some weeks ago that the copyright laws stopped to be valid after 70 years. Does that means that everyone can use the chararcter James Bond from 2023 when it's 70 years since Ian Fleming first released CR. Or can they renew the ownership?

Comments

• tqbtqb
    They can renew ownership.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The studios will lobby for an extension. Disney is already preparing to do that with Mickey Mouse.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Oh thats great, so no one else come and make new unofficial Bond movies all the time.
  • Copyright laws were written with the idea of protecting the original creators of a work but that eventually they'd go into the public domain. Sheakespeare, for example, is in the public domain. The question has become how long that period should be. Corporations keep wanting to extend it.
  • I hope there are no more holdups like after LTK.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i really think the copyright laws do need to be amended for films - and they do need to be extended - especially for franchises.
    It's complex because while James Bond will (Hopefully) have its copyright in 20 years, it may not but nothing much can be done with the copyright. As both EON and The Ian Fleming Foundation have the rights to all James Bond Films and New Bond stories so they can still sue you for breech of copyright!
  • Virage wrote:
    It's complex because while James Bond will (Hopefully) have its copyright in 20 years, it may not but nothing much can be done with the copyright. As both EON and The Ian Fleming Foundation have the rights to all James Bond Films and New Bond stories so they can still sue you for breech of copyright!

You're probably thinking of Ian Fleming Publications (formerly Glidrose). The Ian Fleming Foundation is a U.S.-based group that has collected vehicles used in the Bond movies and preserved them. Ian Fleming Publications is concerned with the copyrights of the original Ian Fleming stories, the continuation novels, etc.

• Although I must agree i'd like the 'main' copyright to stay with EON, I'd also love to see some 'rogue' Bond projects.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe that if you hold a franchise for 50 years or more, certain protocols slip in that even you are unaware of, but yet you keep them alive.

Now, someone looking at Bond's source material (the books) from another POV might light out other things, thus another version of Bond could exist next to EON's one. Fans could pick which one they like the most, or just stick with both. I'd love to see how someone new would give portrait to 007.

I do agree, it could turn into disaster, imagine an Asylum Films 007 adventure or something, but I'd also like to see what beautiful new creations (even outside of films) would be born.