"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Hahaha the Scum are 2-0 down to Monaco....happy days !
    Mourinho is the saviour of ManU, but not tonight. What a laugh.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Unless it was deliberate to try go out of the tournament..he has been saying that being in this cup will make winning the Prem more difficult...coincidence ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Unless it was deliberate to try go out of the tournament..he has been saying that being in this cup will make winning the Prem more difficult...coincidence ?

In that case he'll end up with nothing as ManU is not going to win the Prem, bad coach and mediocre team.

• RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »

In that case he'll end up with nothing as ManU is not going to win the Prem, bad coach and mediocre team.

He just wants top 4 without the hassle of Europa.
  • GBFGBF
    Wasn't it the same last year when they did not really take the competition seriously after only being third in their group in the Champions Leaigue?

If you consider how much money they spend it is just amazing how unsuccessfull this club has become within the last 7 years.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 7,506
    RC7 wrote: »

Hm, have the objectives changed already? Not long ago he said that "winning is the only objective". But now he is happy with qualifying for Europe... without the hassle of Europe...? Well, well...

At least one thing is always constant with Mourinho: Him blaming the referee after defeat...
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

Hm, have the objectives changed already? Not long ago he said that "winning is the only objective". But now he is happy with qualifying for Europe... without the hassle of Europe...? Well, well...

At least one thing is always constant with Mourinho: Him blaming the referee after defeat...

What he says and what he actually thinks are two different things.

GBF wrote: »
    Wasn't it the same last year when they did not really take the competition seriously after only being third in their group in the Champions Leaigue?

If you consider how much money they spend it is just amazing how unsuccessfull this club has become within the last 7 years.

Would that seven years include the league titles they won in '09, '11 and '13, or have you quantum leaped from the mid-seventies?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2016 Posts: 6,818
    If you play EL, that's because you belong there. It's nonsense that you won't take it seriously because it's only EL. If you have the chance of winning a European cup, and they are the big favourites, I'd say it's total lunacy not to go for that. It's just a way of having an excuse when they are eliminated.
  • GBFGBF

Would that seven years include the league titles they won in '09, '11 and '13, or have you quantum leaped from the mid-seventies?

I took that into account but this is still very little having in mind that Manchester was one of the dominant teams in Europe before 2009. But you are right that the development in the last three or four years is certainly the main problem. I mean it is just insane how much they spend for some players and how usuccessfull they have been during the last years.
  • RC7RC7

I took that into account but this is still very little having in mind that Manchester was one of the dominant teams in Europe before 2009. But you are right that the development in the last three or four years is certainly the main problem. I mean it is just insane how much they spend for some players and how usuccessfull they have been during the last years.

A player United want is immediately 30%+ more than, say, Arsenal or Spurs. That's just the way it is. They know we can pay it.
    Ivanovic you dirty,stamping shit head..
    It was a spectacular loss that was well celebrated around Rotterdam, and I am quite sure that quite a few football fans enjoys Mourinho with egg on his face after the arrogance of thinking that ManU would have a simple job. Feyenoord could only win or get a draw from this game or so they thought.

For such an accomplished trainer Mourinho can be quite a stupid dick.
  • Leeds won today, yay!! =D>
  • Hate to say it City look formidable.
  • RC7RC7
    It was a spectacular loss that was well celebrated around Rotterdam, and I am quite sure that quite a few football fans enjoys Mourinho with egg on his face after the arrogance of thinking that ManU would have a simple job. Feyenoord could only win or get a draw from this game or so they thought.

Yawn
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 7,506
    Wow! Third straight defeat for the devils! And apparantly the referee is to blame for all of them ;)

Its getting repetative. Yawn (:|
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Its getting repetative. Yawn (:|

Are you talking about Mourinho's excuses or your increasingly tiresome anti-Mourinho rhetoric?

Nonetheless the scum taking a battering always cheers the soul on a Sunday afternoon. Better than going to church.
    Hats off to the hornets,they are looking in good shape.

Yawn

That is how ManU currently plays as well.

:))
    It's going to take Mourinho time to settle on his best team and formation. Early days for him.
  • Jose needs to be ruthless and I hope he will be, Rooney has never been consistent until now... Now Rooney is consistently poor he moves the ball too slow, there are better number 10s than him in the squad as things stand he should be dropped.
    It tells you quite a bit about common English standards that Rooney is considered in circles as a decent playmaker...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It tells you quite a bit about common English standards that Rooney is considered in circles as a decent playmaker...

No one I know thinks Rooney should be anywhere near the England team, or indeed the Utd team.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Nice to see Jose doing well at Utd. :))
    They'll be chanting bring back Van Gaal soon. =))
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I'm a Liverpool supporter and I always enjoy seeing Man U getting beat. However, I wouldn't go laughing all the way to the top 4 because, as we all know, Mourinho has a great records at clubs he has been at and there is a long way to go in this season.

If they don't improve though, will he be given the boot? I'm not sure, he'll cost them quite a fortune if it were to happen. Managers have been sacked for less and Moyes didn't last long did he?

Rooney - in my opinion, he isn't a midfielder and should have still been used up top, whether on his own or as part of a front two. That's not going to happen now, but I don't think he's a midfielder. He's one of the best players the premier league has seen (man, that hurts to say ;) ) but over the last few seasons to see him revert to that midfield role loses some of his spark. That's my opinion anyway and it doesn't only hurt Utd but England as well. I'd say to them, bring back Fergie, but that just makes it much more difficult for everyone else. Utd have never gotten over losing Fergie, the greatest manager of his generation (I feel dirty, haha).

Anyway, super performance from Liverpool on Friday, the first half in particular was terrific. My only concern with Liverpool is their consistency, which I hope they can improve on this season. Then Burnley blip still bugs me.

No one I know thinks Rooney should be anywhere near the England team, or indeed the Utd team.

You miss the point. I am not talking about current level but playing style and attributes.

Rooney's strength was always as a nr 9. The project of turning him into a nr 10 and later even a nr 8 run by several different coaches over a period of +- 5 years is peculiar at best. He has never been a good passer of the ball, not even in his prime. The need to turn him into one both at club and International level speak volumes about other English players qualities in this particular area of play.

Englands only world class playmaker over the last fifteen years was Scholes. He has been awfully alone.
  • GBFGBF
    Isn't Mourinho himself the problem? I don't doubt that he is a competent team manager but I wonder if his players really work as hard as they could. I always think that a particular player needs to respect and evenfeel some kind of sympathy for his manager. Otherwise he would probbably not be as motivated as he could be.
    Isn't Mourinho himself the problem? I don't doubt that he is a competent team manager but I wonder if his players really work as hard as they could. I always think that a particular player needs to respect and evenfeel some kind of sympathy for his manager. Otherwise he would probbably not be as motivated as he could be.

When you are on £300k a week shouldn't you be able to motivate yourself a bit?
    Didn't expect to beat Everton away last night!