Sean Connery vs. Roger Moore

13»

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Moore is just a cool dude. Sean might have been a better bond, but Roger was pretty good, and I think he is probably a nicer human being.

This really isn't about who's the nicer human being to be fair. It's about how the actor embodies and portrays the character. I just find it odd that Moore was uncomfortable doing certain scenes that involved violence, given the character he's playing. Craig's Bond said it best in CR.

Vesper:..and you have no trouble killing those people?

Bond: Well, I wouldn't be good at my job if it did.
    Here's a little something for the Moore fans, Sir Roj being interviewed by Barry Norman on the subject of The Persuaders. Yeah I know it's not Bond but the title music was by John Barry and I know some of you just can't get enough of Moore and it's 46 mins long. So pop the kettle on and settle back for some RM banter..

bondsum wrote:
    Here's a little something for the Moore fans, Sir Roj being interviewed by Barry Norman on the subject of The Persuaders. Yeah I know it's not Bond but the title music was by John Barry and I know some of you just can't get enough of Moore and it's 46 mins long. So pop the kettle on and settle back for some RM banter..

Thanks for posting. Makes me look forward to his Malvern appearance even more now! :-bd
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I like them both for different reasons. They're both James Bond in my eyes.

Connery I'd agree with but Moore I'm not so certain. I LOVE Roger Moore, enjoyed him in Bond and am going to see him at my local theatre in October, BUT I often thought he was 'Roger Moore' first and James Bond second if that makes sense. He looks and acts like Roger Moore a lot of the time in my eyes.

@Bondsum (God I love Barry Norman. I used to tape his "Film" programmes when I was only 11 and had the privelige of speaking to him at a talk he did in 2008)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    @Bondsum (God I love Barry Norman. I used to tape his "Film" programmes when I was only 11 and had the privelige of speaking to him at a talk he did in 2008)
    Totally agree with the love for Norman. I was deeply saddened when he jumped ship from the BBC to host an alternative movie review for Sky. I must have watched almost every one of his shows from the very beginning... and his reviews were always spot on.
    Connery I'd agree with but Moore I'm not so certain. I LOVE Roger Moore, enjoyed him in Bond and am going to see him at my local theatre in October, BUT I often thought he was 'Roger Moore' first and James Bond second if that makes sense. He looks and acts like Roger Moore a lot of the time in my eyes

you would be right in saying that Rog basically played Rog but surely Conners has basically made a career out of this also?
    Connery I'd agree with but Moore I'm not so certain. I LOVE Roger Moore, enjoyed him in Bond and am going to see him at my local theatre in October, BUT I often thought he was 'Roger Moore' first and James Bond second if that makes sense. He looks and acts like Roger Moore a lot of the time in my eyes

you would be right in saying that Rog basically played Rog but surely Conners has basically made a career out of this also?

Yes true but he had a swagger and athleticism in a way Rog never did.
    bondsum wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Totally agree with the love for Norman. I was deeply saddened when he jumped ship from the BBC to host an alternative movie review for Sky. I must have watched almost every one of his shows from the very beginning... and his reviews were always spot on.

If I recall he was a big fan of Pulp Fiction - a film you wern't keen on ;)

I also remember him describing how he jokingly suggested to Cubby that he could be the next James Bond back in the early 70s...and how they had laughed at him.
  • Connery is the finest Bond of them all, but all the actors seem to have been strong at certain facets of the character of James Bond. Toughness and swagger can be argued, but that is only a part of the Bond persona.

Nobody embodied the sophistication of Bond better than Roger Moore. That was his strength, and not an inconsiderable one.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    @Major D Smythe.

In terms of Moore being a badass I think his best moment is here:

Understated and efficient. Nicely done by Sir Rog despite the fact he wasn't keen on filming it.

Exactly the trouble I always had with Sir Roger as Bond, TOO much of a gentleman in the role. Lacks Sir Sean's swagger. With Sean, Dalton, and Craig, you look at them and believe they would kill you in a second and not give your death too much afterthought. Bond is a killer of killers, and not reluctant about it. That is sorely and sadly missing in most of Moore's tenure when he needed to have it, Brosnan did a lot better in that department too.

Exactly.

Dude barely made it up the hill.
    THAT'S the best secret agent in the world?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,082
    BAIN123 wrote:
    @Major D Smythe.

In terms of Moore being a badass I think his best moment is here:

Understated and efficient. Nicely done by Sir Rog despite the fact he wasn't keen on filming it.

Exactly the trouble I always had with Sir Roger as Bond, TOO much of a gentleman in the role. Lacks Sir Sean's swagger. With Sean, Dalton, and Craig, you look at them and believe they would kill you in a second and not give your death too much afterthought. Bond is a killer of killers, and not reluctant about it. That is sorely and sadly missing in most of Moore's tenure when he needed to have it, Brosnan did a lot better in that department too.

Exactly.

Dude barely made it up the hill.
    THAT'S the best secret agent in the world?

I'd say he was the best secret agent in the world by far. I mean, who else could skydive without a parachute, steal another guy's parachute and then fight Jaws in the air (while falling in a tremendously high speed), stop Stromberg & Drax, kill Blofeld despite starting out with the low-ground so to speak, hang on to (and fight on) high speed trains and flying planes, snowboard on a broken sled or hang to a firetruck while being close to a senior citizen?
  • If you drank and smoked as much as Fleming's Bond, you would struggle to get up that hill too. The success of a James Bond should have little to do with athletic ability. (within reason) Bond was never part of the Team GB Olympic team. Some of the finest real-life agents this nation has produced were not extraordinary physical specimens.

Age is a different matter, and is a valid mark against Moore's latter portrayal (especially in AVTAK) but the current obsession with physical fitness, misses the point rather, for me. James Bond was never a body-builder, weight-lifter, or fitness fanatic.

Moore did a great job in FYEO.
    When you look at all the Bonds, Moore and Craig are furthest away from the dark-haired Bond. A dark-haired person has more of the "killer" and "danger" look than a lighter-haired person. What allows Craig to overcome that is that, frankly, he is ugly, giving him that SOB look. That's how I perceive them. I realize some may disagree and, I respect that.
  • RC7RC7
    Ellis wrote:
    A dark-haired person has more of the "killer" and "danger" look than a lighter-haired person.

Definitely one of the weirdest comments I've ever read on this forum. @Jones_The_Bond, I agree with what you say.
  • Ellis wrote:
    A dark-haired person has more of the "killer" and "danger" look than a lighter-haired person.

I think it depends on the person. EG- Javier Bardem has blonde hair in SF and I think he looked more menacing with his dark hair. Craig though, has blonde hair in SF (like his last 2 films), and he always looks menacing and dangerous.

@Jones_The_Bond Thank you. I agree completely.
    Ellis wrote:

I think it depends on the person. EG- Javier Bardem has blonde hair in SF and I think he looked more menacing with his dark hair. Craig though, has blonde hair in SF (like his last 2 films), and he always looks menacing and dangerous.

@Jones_The_Bond Thank you. I agree completely.

I agree with your assessment of Craig, and other "persons", for the reason I gave about Craig, in my previous post.

Both brilliant Bonds. I have huge respect for Rog because following Sean and keeping the show on the road was a big ask. He is probably my number two after Sean. I rate Dalts highly but with only two films to his name, it's difficult to make a proper judgement?
    Getafix wrote:
    I have huge respect for Rog because following Sean and keeping the show on the road was a big ask.

Agreed. That was an impressive feat. What's even more impressive is that he improved on Connery in all sorts of ways, atleast according to me.

I wonder how many here who were in their teens when Dr. No first came out believes Moore was a better Bond.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,082
    CrabKey wrote:
    I wonder how many here who were in their teens when Dr. No first came out believes Moore was a better Bond.

My guess is 0,0 to be exact.

I'm a Moore fan. But even I admit that Connery fit the Fleming perception of Bond closer than Rog did. But Roger did it his own way and did it well. Listen to the Michael Wilson recent talk about 50 years of Bond, linked on the front page. He said that Rog brought a lighter and humorous touch to Bond that was right for the times. He said that Pierce borrowed a little from Sean and a little from Roger and added his own touch. The fact that Brosnan saw fit to borrow from both says a lot. Roger left his mark. He showed that you can play Bond in multiple ways and still be played well and entertaining. It's like going to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. You don't have to settle for one flavor to leave satisfied.
    Connery is Bond (excluding NSNA and maybe DAF)

Roger is nearly always Roger

;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

;)

DEFINITELY DAF.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Ironic that I think those two were his best performances as Bond. He reminded me more of Moore in those. I wish he was like that in all his movies.

And I think Moore is Bond in all his movies. The words "Moore" and "Bond" are IMO interchangeable. If you find James Bond in an encyclopedia, "Roger Moore" should be the only words necessary.

Connery >>>>>> Moore

Ah yes but Connery is also always Connery even when playing a Spaniard or a Russian!

Ah yes but Connery is also always Connery even when playing a Spaniard or a Russian!

Ah, in later years I'd agree with you but during his early 007 years he "was" Bond in my mind.
    Connery was Bond in Dr No, Russia and Thunderball. I'm usually asleep when Goldfinger is underway so what goes on I don't know, YOLT, simply wasn't what I remember of his former greatness, and the least said about Diamonds the better

Moore was Bond in LALD, Golden Gun, Spy and For Your Eyes Only, which makes more Bond's than Connery by my math, but he did do one more official entry than the Scot. Moore never really came close to Flemings original character nowhere like Connery managed, although did do a very good job or even rival on a handful of occasions for sporadic bits and pieces of his tenure, but never actually managed a whole two hours of it like Connery did in 1962 and 1963. But still a good Bond for the most part, but a true rivalry between these two, seems a no contest if you add it all up

Ah, in later years I'd agree with you but during his early 007 years he "was" Bond in my mind.

But Connery was a nobody before Bond, you couldn't compare his previous performances, where as Moore was already well known.
  • After seeing @TheLivingRoyale's Steve Coogan Bond imitation thread I figured I'd bump this thread with this funny video. I assume this was made around the mid to late 80s after both men took park in the Battle of the Bonds while both were well into their fifties.