Hold on, slow down a minute! Bond Movies with Quick, Unfinished Endings

edited March 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
Which Bond movies do you think have the quickest, loose ends type of ending? For me it's Goldfinger without a doubt. The movie only had 1 hour and 50 minutes anyway, so certainly there was extra room for additional scenes and a better ending! Goldfinger's fight with Bond is ridiculously pathetic, the goof with the water is just embarrasing, and Connery's final line about rescues comes much too quickly after the plane crash. You might as well turn it off after Bond boards the plane!

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Great idea for a thread @00Beast. GF is a good example but to me YOLT has a really quick and abrupt ending. It almost as if it's missing a scene. For instance a scene with Blofeld swearing revenge after Bond and Kissy board the sub would've been nice. Instead it just sort-of ends really quickly as if the filmmakers needed to finish it by a certain runtime. I kinda feel the same way about TB.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GF is only 1hr. 50, but feels muuuuuch longer!
    Goldfinger (here I go again), poor overall really, feel I should apologize, but why should I, it's merely how I've always found it. There's no sense in giving disingenuous answers about our Bond films, 'Oh I thought it was an epic', Sorry, No - it isn't

Yes the airplane fight is over so quick isn't it, lasts I estimate some 30 seconds or less and then parachute out and said 'plane crashes INTO THE SEA #-o on a flight from Kentucky to DC, can't help but mention it sometimes and nobody has come forward with a plausible explanation. As before, yes it is a poor ending, an absurd ending and an ending that is simply too brief. Even the initial teaser wasn't up to much, Connery emerges from some water with a silly plastic duck on his head and sets up some explosives and electrocutes a man in a bath. It was all a bit lame that year
    Umm not a film.. But bloodstone takes the cake.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i always thought Dr. No's ending was just kind of quick also... but, i'll cut it a little slack - it was the first movie.
    The ending of LTK was not quick enough. I they should have ended it before Bond jumps in the water and spared us the mushy ending with the winking fish.
  • tqbtqb
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,022
    QOS w/ vesper's bf. This should've been the climax.
    Great idea for a thread @00Beast. GF is a good example but to me YOLT has a really quick and abrupt ending. It almost as if it's missing a scene. For instance a scene with Blofeld swearing revenge after Bond and Kissy board the sub would've been nice. Instead it just sort-of ends really quickly as if the filmmakers needed to finish it by a certain runtime. I kinda feel the same way about TB.

Yeah, I agree with TB and YOLT, especially the latter of the two. After Bond destroys Bird One, it's as if the directors are trying to end this movie as quickly as possible. As for TB, even though it's already completely long enough, there should have at least been some slow down scene(s) after the Disco Volante crashes.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Virage wrote:

Maybe not. For me, Everything Or Nothing's.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Maybe not. For me, Everything Or Nothing's.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. Whoo-hoo! I destroyed Diavolo's missile! Okay, that's a wrap!
  • RC7RC7
    and said 'plane crashes INTO THE SEA #-o on a flight from Kentucky to DCyear

Goldfinger implies they are heading for Cuba. Despite this I agree that the ending is far too abrupt. I love the face off in Fort Knox and this scene somehow takes the sting out of it. The 'dual-ending' as I like to think of it is executed much better in TSWLM. The destruction of the Liparus and then Atlantis is value for money, the GF death is arguably lame.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,115
    Goldfinger (here I go again), poor overall really, feel I should apologize, but why should I, it's merely how I've always found it. There's no sense in giving disingenuous answers about our Bond films, 'Oh I thought it was an epic', Sorry, No - it isn't

Yes the airplane fight is over so quick isn't it, lasts I estimate some 30 seconds or less and then parachute out and said 'plane crashes INTO THE SEA #-o on a flight from Kentucky to DC, can't help but mention it sometimes and nobody has come forward with a plausible explanation. As before, yes it is a poor ending, an absurd ending and an ending that is simply too brief. Even the initial teaser wasn't up to much, Connery emerges from some water with a silly plastic duck on his head and sets up some explosives and electrocutes a man in a bath. It was all a bit lame that year

Same explanation as the palm trees in Kentucky (Oddjob driving to the "airport," presumably the Louisville, Kentucky, airport). They goofed. (Reality: they shot the footage in Miami with a skeleton crew, likely along with the hotel footage, etc.)
    LIVE AND LET DIE......
  • If we're counting video games, what about Agent Under Fire. Base blows up, Bond jump in helicopter, ending. I was so confused. I was expecting another level, and a proper end-boss fight. Not even a love scene/kissing scene, just end!
    GOLDFINGER most definitely
    Goldfinger and Everything Or Nothing...
    If we're counting video games, what about Agent Under Fire. Base blows up, Bond jump in helicopter, ending. I was so confused. I was expecting another level, and a proper end-boss fight. Not even a love scene/kissing scene, just end!

Yeah, this was puzzling me as well, just ends the game right there with Malprave's base being destroyed. I mean, it was an epic ending, but that was it, no time to calm down and do the proper Bond ending.
    00Beast wrote:
    If we're counting video games, what about Agent Under Fire. Base blows up, Bond jump in helicopter, ending. I was so confused. I was expecting another level, and a proper end-boss fight. Not even a love scene/kissing scene, just end!

Yeah, this was puzzling me as well, just ends the game right there with Malprave's base being destroyed. I mean, it was an epic ending, but that was it, no time to calm down and do the proper Bond ending.

One thing that confused me was that Malprave herself set her base to explode...then why was she still in there??? Bond was fighting in the other room. She had all the time in the world (haha get it) to escape. Great game, lazy ending.

Only game with a good ending was Nightfire. EONs has been talked about and I agree with what's been said. QoS game's ending was bad as well. I know it was taking cue from the deleted scene from the film but still...and Blood Stones is one big wtf moment
    @bondbat007: Agreed, Nightfire had the only good Bond video game ending. He stopped the missiles from striking Earth, killed Drake, escaped in the shuttle, had a last briefing from M, and then enjoyed some time alone with Alura in the Vanquish. No other game has matched it yet!
    YOLT, in my opinion, has a very rushed and unfinished ending. Just as soon as Bond blows up Bird One, Blofeld comes back and destroys the volcano, and then Bond and company escape, but it is all done rather quickly and needed another minute or two in my opinion.
    I agree about GF! When we watched it soon after it was released in the cinemas, 1hr 50 min was too short for us then, and I feel it now too when I watch it at home!
    I agree about GF! When we watched it soon after it was released in the cinemas, 1hr 50 min was too short for us then, and I feel it now too when I watch it at home!

It's just so choppy and seems as if the directors/producers just couldn't wait to move on. For such an iconic, big-time villain like Auric Goldfinger, his final fight with 007 and death were just terrible.
    Quantum of Solace had an ending that started out dragging on, and then it ended way too quickly. I feel like Quantum could have been a much better movie if it had ended better, and not so abruptly, and so open-endedly.
    TB, despite being my favourite Bond film, lacked the strong ending that the novel had after the destruction of the Disco Volante. In the novel, Bond and Domino are in hospital and he collapses at the side of her bed in an attempt to make sure she's alright and to be close to her. Something along those lines would've been nice, or at least some dialogue lifted from those scenes when they were on the rubber boat.
    Volante wrote:
    TB, despite being my favourite Bond film, lacked the strong ending that the novel had after the destruction of the Disco Volante. In the novel, Bond and Domino are in hospital and he collapses at the side of her bed in an attempt to make sure she's alright and to be close to her. Something along those lines would've been nice, or at least some dialogue lifted from those scenes when they were on the rubber boat.

I disagree. That would have been out of character for Connery's Bond. It was a bit abrupt I agree that they went from iminent death, to chilling out in the raft, and a bit more dialogue would have been nice, but if they were to talk it should have been a few corny one liners or some piece of juicy inuendo, but not some hart felt discussion. That would have been out of place. That being said, I feel that Craig could pull that sort of emotion off, although for it to seem realistic Bond and Domino would need to have a closer connection in the movie.
    Volante wrote:

I disagree. That would have been out of character for Connery's Bond. It was a bit abrupt I agree that they went from iminent death, to chilling out in the raft, and a bit more dialogue would have been nice, but if they were to talk it should have been a few corny one liners or some piece of juicy inuendo, but not some hart felt discussion. That would have been out of place. That being said, I feel that Craig could pull that sort of emotion off, although for it to seem realistic Bond and Domino would need to have a closer connection in the movie.

I don't think the emotion of the book would've suited Connery in the film, but something similar. Even just a recognition that she had been tortured.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Volante wrote:

If one of the new few films that would be great but not the film as it is.

The doctor at the start at the end telling Bond to "take it easy" would also be a nice touch. Why we're at it you may as well through in the hangover at the same time!

So much untouched Fleming begging to make it to the big screen.
  • YOLT. More should have been done with Blofeld.
    Also OHMSS, since little was done with the ending in DAF.
    Not much was done with the ending for sure, (Diamonds are Forever), but what they gave us that year was probably the most hilarious ending of a Bond film ever, I'm not one for hysterics, but it's sometimes hard to keep a straight face or not laugh out loud when Kidd and Wint arrive on the scene on the cruise liner and all that ensues, one of my favorite sequences of the entire franchise probably, it never fails to amuse
    Quantum of Solace had an ending that started out dragging on, and then it ended way too quickly. I feel like Quantum could have been a much better movie if it had ended better, and not so abruptly, and so open-endedly.

I want to see the last scene (the QOS/B23 cliffhanger) I think that would have changed it and made it SO much better.