Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2021 Posts: 17,803
    NicNac wrote: »
    FRWL - the guy Grant murders at the station.
    SF - " Bronson didn't make it?"

That was the real Captain Nash played by William Hill who was the production manager on the film and only played the part reluctantly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,948
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Something I noticed from my recent Bondathon.

Apart from George Lazenby/OHMSS, all the Bonds debuts started with the death of MI6 operatives.
    Strangways in Dr No, Bains in LALD, the 00 agents in Gibraltor for TLD, Alec in GE and I guess Dryden in CR although this one didn't motivate the plot in any way.

Interesting, @NicNac . Lazenby's film didn't start with the death of an operative, but there is Bond's shadow in the film who Blofeld leaves hanging dead and frozen. So technically, an MI6 operative dies in this film too, just a tad later. ;-)

Although I think it’s open to debate whether Campbell is an MI6 guy or not (in the film anyway): the first time we see him giving assistance Bond is technically off the case and working against orders, so he shouldn’t really be getting assistance from other MI6 officers. Plus he’s on a Draco construction site, so it almost seems more likely he’s one of Draco’s guys!

He’s Ronson, like Bond’s lighters. That’s probably why he remembers him :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

Apart from George Lazenby/OHMSS, all the Bonds debuts started with the death of MI6 operatives.
    Strangways in Dr No, Bains in LALD, the 00 agents in Gibraltor for TLD, Alec in GE and I guess Dryden in CR although this one didn't motivate the plot in any way.

Interesting, @NicNac . Lazenby's film didn't start with the death of an operative, but there is Bond's shadow in the film who Blofeld leaves hanging dead and frozen. So technically, an MI6 operative dies in this film too, just a tad later. ;-)

Although I think it’s open to debate whether Campbell is an MI6 guy or not (in the film anyway): the first time we see him giving assistance Bond is technically off the case and working against orders, so he shouldn’t really be getting assistance from other MI6 officers. Plus he’s on a Draco construction site, so it almost seems more likely he’s one of Draco’s guys!

Blofeld makes a comment about "you, British" with reference to Campbell. I don't think he's a member of the Union Corse. Also, the equipment seems a bit "advanced" (for the times) to be in the hands of Draco. And most of Draco's important agents were introduced early on, but not Campbell. I think there are arguments for as well as against him being an MI6 operative. I believe the novel makes it clear that he is.

You're right. It's an MI6 slaughterhouse! ;-)

To be fair, if MI6 agent's all ended up well and good in Bond films, you wouldn't get a sense of danger. Yes, that makes them a bit red shirtish sometimes, but it does add drama. And it's not like it's not a dangerous job in real life.

My controversial opinion: as much as I love GE and Sean Bean in it, I always thought he looked very heroic for a villain. I always wondered how and why he got typecast as a badguy for so long.

Blofeld makes a comment about "you, British" with reference to Campbell. I don't think he's a member of the Union Corse. Also, the equipment seems a bit "advanced" (for the times) to be in the hands of Draco. And most of Draco's important agents were introduced early on, but not Campbell. I think there are arguments for as well as against him being an MI6 operative. I believe the novel makes it clear that he is.

Yes, the novel certainly does make it clear that Campbell works for the British Secret Service. In fact Shaun Campbell almost blows Bond's cover as Sir Hilary Bray. He recognises Bond as his colleague from the British Secret Service and appeals to him to provide his bona fides to Blofeld's men at Piz Gloria when he gets picked up. Bond of course flat out denies knowing who he is and suggests he's concussed. We're even told that Campbell has blond hair which Bernard Horsfall had in the film version too. Another point of accuracy between novel and film. Campbell is recognised by Bond as being Number 2 from Station Z in Zurich, Switzerland. It's a great scene not included in the film apart from the bit where Campbell argues with Gunther which at least alludes to what happens in the novel. See the end of Chapter 14 and the beginning of Chapter 15 of OHMSS for more details.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That was the real Captain Nash played by William Hill who was the production manager on the film and only played the part reluctantly.

So he wasn t the real captain Nash after all, then?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Blofeld makes a comment about "you, British" with reference to Campbell.

He’s certainly British because we hear him speak. I’m British but that doesn’t make me MI6 :D
    Don’t forget Draco’s own daughter speaks with a cut glass English accent so it doesn’t really mean too much.

I don't think he's a member of the Union Corse. Also, the equipment seems a bit "advanced" (for the times) to be in the hands of Draco.

Well it’s positively backward for MI6 equipment: in the previous film Bond had a Q gadget which could open a safe about thirty times faster and it fitted in his pocket! :)

Also, Bond has been relieved of duty: why would Q Branch be sending him gear? Even if it is massively out of date tech :D
    And most of Draco's important agents were introduced early on, but not Campbell. I think there are arguments for as well as against him being an MI6 operative. I believe the novel makes it clear that he is.

The novel does yes, but the film is a separate thing.
    I think he probably is intended to be a fellow spy, I just think it’s interesting that the film gives us more reasons to believe he’s Draco’s guy.
    If he’s MI6 it actually gives us a plot blooper, or at best an unexplained issue in the plot.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,544
    I just think it’s interesting that the film gives us more reasons to believe he’s Draco’s guy.

True. I think it's a detail the script overlooked.

And what do you mean, you're British but not an MI6 agent? Wait, this isn't the real MI6? ;-)

So he wasn t the real captain Nash after all, then?

I'll bet you he was the real McCoy, or rather Nash.

Yes, the novel certainly does make it clear that Campbell works for the British Secret Service. In fact Shaun Campbell almost blows Bond's cover as Sir Hilary Bray. He recognises Bond as his colleague from the British Secret Service and appeals to him to provide his bona fides to Blofeld's men at Piz Gloria when he gets picked up. Bond of course flat out denies knowing who he is and suggests he's concussed. We're even told that Campbell has blond hair which Bernard Horsfall had in the film version too. Another point of accuracy between novel and film. Campbell is recognised by Bond as being Number 2 from Station Z in Zurich, Switzerland. It's a great scene not included in the film apart from the bit where Campbell argues with Gunther which at least alludes to what happens in the novel. See the end of Chapter 14 and the beginning of Chapter 15 of OHMSS for more details.

It's a great scene in the book. In the film, though, there's a sort of nod to that when Campbell looks directly at Bond/Bray when being interrogated by Blofeld. That couldn't have but helped raise Blofeld's suspicions that Bray is a fake. Then again, this guy was fooled as to Bond's identity by donning glasses. Maybe he got advice from Clark Kent.

On a separate note, what was Campbell trying to accomplish by going up to Piz Gloria? Surely there was nothing he could do to aid Bond. A guess is Bond was supposed to contact him at some point, such as when he seems desperate to take the afternoon off and Blofeld denies this, and maybe Campbell and Bond had arranged for him to try to go up if Campbell didn't hear from him, that he was in trouble.

Also, wouldn't Paula from TB qualify as an Mi6 operative who was killed in the line of duty? It's enough of an issue that Bond tells Pinder to inform London that Paula was dead. She's introduced by Bond as his assistant, but would he have bothered to make a point of telling Pinder that if she were just a local? Seems her position wasn't that different from Goodnight, who even got the benefit of having clothes fitted with Q-outfitted homers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »

It's a great scene in the book. In the film, though, there's a sort of nod to that when Campbell looks directly at Bond/Bray when being interrogated by Blofeld. That couldn't have but helped raise Blofeld's suspicions that Bray is a fake. Then again, this guy was fooled as to Bond's identity by donning glasses. Maybe he got advice from Clark Kent.

On a separate note, what was Campbell trying to accomplish by going up to Piz Gloria? Surely there was nothing he could do to aid Bond. A guess is Bond was supposed to contact him at some point, such as when he seems desperate to take the afternoon off and Blofeld denies this, and maybe Campbell and Bond had arranged for him to try to go up if Campbell didn't hear from him, that he was in trouble.

Also, wouldn't Paula from TB qualify as an Mi6 operative who was killed in the line of duty? It's enough of an issue that Bond tells Pinder to inform London that Paula was dead. She's introduced by Bond as his assistant, but would he have bothered to make a point of telling Pinder that if she were just a local? Seems her position wasn't that different from Goodnight, who even got the benefit of having clothes fitted with Q-outfitted homers.

Doesn’t Paula chomp on a cyanide capsule? Definitely a spy if she does I’d say.

She’s probably one of the worst-treated characters in the whole series in that she’s an ally of Bond, there’s a whole action sequence about trying to save her, but she barely gets any screen time and the film doesn’t seem interested in her at all.

Re Blofeld not recognising Bond: I always understood that he was disguised as a Japanese in the previous movie. Kind of a retcon, but only a small one. Also, in the novel YOLT, Bond's disguise is good enough to have Blofeld fooled, at least to a degree.

Doesn’t Paula chomp on a cyanide capsule? Definitely a spy if she does I’d say.

She’s probably one of the worst-treated characters in the whole series in that she’s an ally of Bond, there’s a whole action sequence about trying to save her, but she barely gets any screen time and the film doesn’t seem interested in her at all.

Well, she's only a supporting character. Little as she does, I happen to like Paula.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Well, she's only a supporting character.

So's Mathis: he gets some lines and a close-up or two! :) Any number of supporting characters get more interest from the camera.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 14,823

So's Mathis: he gets some lines and a close-up or two! :) Any number of supporting characters get more interest from the camera.

Well, Mathis is a more important supporting character. Paula is almost a tagalong: she's part of the team, she looks good and she dies when the script requires it. I always imagined her as Bond's go to shag when he's on a mission in Nassau.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well, Mathis is a more important supporting character. Paula is almost a tagalong: she's part of the team, she looks good and she dies when the script requires it.

Yes I know: that's what I'm saying- she (and Pinder) is treated badly by the film considering that she is part of Bond's team. Compare to anyone else in a similar role, say Chuck Lee, and she gets short shrift. Bond isn't even introduced to her on screen: she's just there like a piece of furniture and we don't even see her most important scene. If you think she gets loads of screentime and a character then fine.
    Paula in TB was a gypsy lady from FRWL. After the attack on the gypsy campsite, and having met Bond and been suitably impressed with him and MI6, she made her way to Britain, trained, applied and became an agent. When she went on mission in TB even Bond had to act as if he'd never met her before. Strict MI6 rules....yup...that's my back-story and I'm sticking with it. As for dealing with other actors who appear multiple times in Bond films, it gets trickier. Octopussy was a twin for the lady who died by Scaramanga's murder of her. Blofeld wanted to look like he did in DAF because he figured it might confuse Bond, by making himself look like the British man killed in YOLT in front of Bond. This doesn't quite work because making yourself look like someone Bond knew to be deceased would only pique his interest, but...Blofeld is rather nuts, so...
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    😅 I like doing stuff like that, making my own back stories up for people and things that quite make sense.
    - Quarrel Jr is Quarrel's little brother. Can't be son because LALD Bond isn't as old as he would need to be to have worked with his dad in Dr No!
    - Brad Whittaker suffered amnesia and a head injury that changed his personality. He then trained to be a CIA operative under a pseudonym.
    - Dame Judi's M is the same character through GE to SF, just not in that order. She promotes Bond in CR and goes into QOS. Then we rewind to GE, Bond is still fresh enough to her to comment on her predecessor's alcohol cupboard. Go through the Brozza era and then
    on to SF where M is fond of Bond after all these years. (It works of you squint a bit while not thinking too much)

Well, Mathis is a more important supporting character. Paula is almost a tagalong: she's part of the team, she looks good and she dies when the script requires it.

Yes I know: that's what I'm saying- she (and Pinder) is treated badly by the film considering that she is part of Bond's team. Compare to anyone else in a similar role, say Chuck Lee, and she gets short shrift. Bond isn't even introduced to her on screen: she's just there like a piece of furniture and we don't even see her most important scene. If you think she gets loads of screentime and a character then fine.

I don't think she gets loads of screen time. I think she gets enough for what she does.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I just came to the realisation that I like all Rog's films.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first, I think George and Tim got the best record of course: three films, three favourites.

But with the long-serving Bonds I always thought there was at least one entry, sometimes two, that I was not overly fond of.

Revisiting what I thought were my least-liked Moore films, LALD and FYEO, I must admit I like every single Rog film. It helps, naturally, that LALD and FYEO were phenomenal rewatches, while I still also love the rest of his tenure. Even when they slide-whistle or laser-shoot into absurdity, Rog's Bond always amuses me.

I don't have that with DAF, DAD or the later Craig films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like all Bond films! :)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    That is regrettably a controversial opinion! (Me too)

Same here.
    Don't we all?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Don't we all?

I was replying to GoldenGun, who was surprised to discover that they enjoyed Roger's films.
    Well, there's "like" and there's "like". I'm sure @GoldenGun likes all the Bond films too. ;-)
    Controversial opinion: Moore is at his most Bondian in TMWTGG, in spite of the many, many, many flaws of the movie.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Controversial opinion: Moore is at his most Bondian in TMWTGG, in spite of the many, many, many flaws of the movie.
    Totally agree. I regret in a way that this interpretation of Bond, in this not so great movie, did not end up in the following installments. There is a sense of sarcasm, of emotional distancing, that makes him an interesting evolution of the character. In a way, I think it could have brought the TSWLM film closer to Christopher Wood's novelization, with a Bond much more reminiscent of his literary counterpart, albeit in a story very far from Fleming's canon.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Totally agree. I regret in a way that this interpretation of Bond, in this not so great movie, did not end up in the following installments. There is a sense of sarcasm, of emotional distancing, that makes him an interesting evolution of the character. In a way, I think it could have brought the TSWLM film closer to Christopher Wood's novelization, with a Bond much more reminiscent of his literary counterpart, albeit in a story very far from Fleming's canon.

Yep. Love Rog in the film. Though I appreciate his stance on it and why he wanted to lose the "edge" in subsequent films.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know if this is controversial but I don't really consider any of Timothy Dalton's films to be proper Bond films and struggle with their identity within the franchise? I think for me it's the seemingly Americanised tone that I compare to things like Columbo.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't know if this is controversial but I don't really consider any of Timothy Dalton's films to be proper Bond films and struggle with their identity within the franchise? I think for me it's the seemingly Americanised tone that I compare to things like Columbo.

What would be some examples of this Americanised tone in TLD?