Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Yolt is such a fun entertaining bond film even if it does have bad faults
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TB is the better film, but YOLT is probably more entertaining.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,422
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like the Japanese switch thing. On this one I know that I am alone.

If it's part of Fleming, then I can get behind it.
    TB is the better film, but YOLT is probably more entertaining.

It certainly was on the MI6 Community Bondathon, for me.
    Is it just me or does YOLT almost not seem especially like a Bond film in many ways? If you take away the gun barrel, credits, John Barry music, Ken Adam sets and SPECTRE, Q, M and Blofeld it seems like Bond just sort of floats through the adventure without a lot of the expected tropes. There's no tux scene, no "Bond, James Bond" line and none of the one-liners are memorable at all. Not that we NEED that, but it would have helped here.

The Bond-Blofeld meeting scene has none of the interplay with the villains of the previous films. It's all Blofeld sneering and the only time it really comes to life is when Bond mocks him when the ninjas attack -- "impregnable?"

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I've always ranked YOLT over TB. The pacing is alot faster. I enjoyed the plotline more too
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does YOLT almost not seem especially like a Bond film in many ways? If you take away the gun barrel, credits, John Barry music, Ken Adam sets and SPECTRE, Q, M and Blofeld it seems like Bond just sort of floats through the adventure without a lot of the expected tropes. There's no tux scene, no "Bond, James Bond" line and none of the one-liners are memorable at all. Not that we NEED that, but it would have helped here.

The Bond-Blofeld meeting scene has none of the interplay with the villains of the previous films. It's all Blofeld sneering and the only time it really comes to life is when Bond mocks him when the ninjas attack -- "impregnable?"

You sure take away quite a lot though :smiley:
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    GoldenGun wrote: »

You sure take away quite a lot though :smiley:

Ha, that reminds me of a certain Monty Python scene...!

"What has You Only Live Twice ever done for us..?!!!"
    YOLT is definitely the first film where action REALLY seems to overtake the plot.

TB may have had its flaws but it usually remained focused on the story at hand.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For me YOLT is the first film to show the limits of too much ambition. Somewhere along the line Bond was lost in it, and Sean didn't have much hopes of clinging on.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I also prefer YOLT to TB.

I will have to disagree - one of the reasons I think TB is the lesser of the two is due to there being a lack of tension throughout the film. I feel that TB is a long, drawn out affair and by the time we're at the end, there's a noticeable lack of steam. Unlike YOLT, I don't feel like SPECTRE is going to succeed and the lack of tension doesn't help.

I find the Bond/Blofeld confrontation to be oozing with tension - Blofeld tells Bond that he plans to start WWIII in such a nonchalant way that it can't help but come off menacingly. The insert shot of Osato realizing it's Connery under the astronaut suit is great - you can tell that Osato is in genuine fear. Couple that with one of Barry's best tracks in the series ("Countdown for Blofeld") and you have a great scene. Blofeld tells Bond that he can watch Tanaka's men getting killed on the TV and that "it's the last program you're likely to see..." Pleasance may of only had a few minutes of screentime but he definitely makes a lasting impression.

Rather than the villain dying, I would much rather see him redeem himself.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's why I love May Day's motivation to help Bond at the end. Your statement also makes me think of 'The Rock,' with a particular character seeking redemption in the end for what they've done.
    I didn t care for May Day, but I inadvertently had to think of her while typing that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They arguably did that with Jaws.
    And maybe Mr White. I cannot think of more.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ladislav Kutze is the only other one that comes to mind.
    Would be great if Blofeld regretted everything in B25.
    Grace Jones herself is pretty bad but I agree with Birdleson that her death scene is a great moment.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Her acting is hard to take, but what a great death.
    Agreed. Perfect death.
    Just wait until I die. It will be magnificent.
    Would be great if Blofeld regretted everything in B25.
    That would be a fascinating character study into the man (as he laments from prison) and perhaps one way I can be enticed to forgive a direct sequel from EON.

The other way would be if he ends up being a Hannibal style character from prison, playing with Bond as terrorism abounds, perhaps by a splinter faction.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,113
    Slain by remorse. The most savage way to go.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    A remorseful Blofeld isn't really in his nature though, no? Especially this one who is the most depraved of them all. I don't think a man who bombs villages of women and children to prove a point is also the kind to pour his heart out in a moment of guilt. That would detract far too much from the character they've built, and I certainly wouldn't want to see them take it that way.
    Most Bond villains are psychopaths, so I guess remorse is out of the question.
    I can see him regretting killing papa because of cuckoo, as he contemplates from prison.
    Mr White always gets the best dialogue in the Craig era.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ladislav Kutze is the only other one that comes to mind.

He was more of a manipulated/bullied tag along than a villain. He seemed reluctant from the start.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Or is he just the best actor of the era?
    echo wrote: »

Or is he just the best actor of the era?

Maybe that's it. He always steals the show.