Bond girls - smart or sexy?

edited March 2012 in Actors Posts: 2,782
After watching Charlie Higson's feature on Film 2012. He commented on the Bond girls. He liked Eva Greene and Diana Rigg but he was smitten by Madeline Smith because she was so sexy.

So I've fallen into this dilemma.

For me the Connery girls weren't smart they were just plain old woof woof hot.

Roger's girl's were more of the same.

Dalton's first bit of fluff was dim but his cousin in his second outing was more on an intellectual par with him.

PB he had ups and downs with his ladies (very PB era innuendo) ].

DC's have all been on a par with him.

So for me I want my Bond girls to be bombshells, and something to be on Bond's arm. We then focus on the man and his mission and not get drowned in emotional nonsense.

That's why SC's era was so good. We were focused on the man and his ladies were there for a bit of fun. I've changed my mind about SC in OHMSS it wouldn't have worked with him and Rigg's character.

So the question is totty or emotional ties?

Comments

Only for looks! The whole emotional, relationship thing is a waste of time. We want to see cunning villains and explosive action, not a romance plot that wastes screen-time!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Only for looks! The whole emotional, relationship thing is a waste of time. We want to see cunning villains and explosive action, not a romance plot that wastes screen-time!

Well said.

'Misogynist dinosaurs' 2

Lentil eaters 0
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But there are ppl that likes some romance (like me.. i loved that kinda "romantic" scene at TWINE of Bond and Elektra) and watch Bond movies for that.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The generally agreed best Bond Girls (Tracy, Honey Ryder, Fiona, Natalya, Vesper etc) tend to be both smart and sexy. So that's probably the answer.

Like any character in any work of fiction, though, ideally a character in a Bond film should be exactly what they should be to suit the purpose they serve in the story - regardless of gender...
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 401
    They can't be both? I wouldn't call Diana Rigg hideous. Eva Green's character wasn't an idiot either. Although I don't like characters like Wai Lin, she was unattractive and a stupid character written to be "smart" and "kick butt". I hate female characters like that. Tracy was well written, and she was attractive. So was Vesper Lynd.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Agree with the two posts above me. For God's sake if the Bond girls were picked only for looks, then why bother hiring an actress at all? Get some flippin' Victoria's Secret model to do the work for a cheaper price. (Yes, Michael Bay, that was directly at you...damn you.)

Bond girls SHOULD be both smart and sexy.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    They can't be both? I wouldn't call Diana Rigg hideous. Eva Green's character wasn't an idiot either. Although I don't like characters like Wai Lin, she was unattractive and a stupid character written to be "smart" and "kick butt". I hate female characters like that.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. Wai Lin I can sometimes let slide for some reason...but Jinx was just plain pathetic and Camille was perhaps the dullest Bond girl in the entire series.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Well i prefer the Sexy, but smart women in Bond movies makes all difference. Natalya were Smart and Sexy at the same time. Smart for the point that she could work in a Comp, and Sexy for exactly That, she was very sexy, at least for me.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 3,169
    St_George wrote:
    The generally agreed best Bond Girls (Tracy, Honey Ryder, Fiona, Natalya, Vesper etc) tend to be both smart and sexy. So that's probably the answer.
    Honey Ryder smart? Tracy and Natalya sexy? Certainly don't agree with that.

I always found the "femme fetales" to be more sexy (Fiona Volpe, Helga Brandt, Magda from OP, Naomi, Xenia etc)
    Zekidk wrote:
    Honey Ryder smart? Tracy and Natalya sexy? Certainly don't agree with that.
    Diana Rigg wasn't "sexy" per se, but "pretty". She was a good choice to play Bond's wife, I think.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Smart OR Sexy? Why not both?!
    eva-green-and-sophie-harleys-love-knot-gallery.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,973
    ^ Touche!

I'll take both, thank you. I happen to find smart girls very, VERY sexy. :-B = :x

(Well they do say opposites attract)
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 94
    Ideal Bond girl should be smart and bombshell. Why? Because if a Bond can kill an armed car chase men with automatic guns, helicopters and also whole russian army tank battalion (stealing a tank too) the girl should have both things :-).

Maybe it is a little, but in one Bond there was a professor of Swedish as far as I remeber ;-) girl who had to play both roles.

And maybe in new films they will get two things too. Ok, in real world the girl with for e.g. biology diploma and honoris causa may not usually look too good. But this is Pinewood - as for every girl she need little more gym work, good dress from a creator who can change a girl into princess, and a smile...

After watching Charlie Higson's feature on Film 2012. He commented on the Bond girls. He liked Eva Greene and Diana Rigg but he was smitten by Madeline Smith because she was so sexy.

So I've fallen into this dilemma.

For me the Connery girls weren't smart they were just plain old woof woof hot.

Roger's girl's were more of the same.

Dalton's first bit of fluff was dim but his cousin in his second outing was more on an intellectual par with him.

PB he had ups and downs with his ladies (very PB era innuendo) ].

DC's have all been on a par with him.

So for me I want my Bond girls to be bombshells, and something to be on Bond's arm. We then focus on the man and his mission and not get drowned in emotional nonsense.

That's why SC's era was so good. We were focused on the man and his ladies were there for a bit of fun. I've changed my mind about SC in OHMSS it wouldn't have worked with him and Rigg's character.

So the question is totty or emotional ties?

• Smart OR Sexy? Why not both?!
    quote]

^Agreed completely. I'm always amazed when someone asks the "smart or sexy"? question - my first thought is who in the world are they dating and meeting that makes them think that women can't be both?

My argument against "bimbos" or women who are only eye candy is simple - a man is judged but the strength of his accomplishments (a variation of "the strength of his enemies"). If a woman needs a man to protect her, or save her, or make decisions for her, etc then how is the man who is with her a real man? A real man isn't afraid of strong, smart women because he's strong, smart, charming, and sophisticated enough to not only not be intimidated by them but also to impress them. If a woman will be with just any guy then whoever the guy is that's with her isn't special, he's just whoever was around at the time.

And also, totally agree with Qbranch - smart=sexy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well Bond's whole sex life is "whoever is around at the time", so pots calling kettles black and all that... ;)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Honey: Both
    Tatiana: Sexy
    Pussy: Smart
    Domino: Sexy
    Aki: Both
    Tracy: Both
    Tiffany: Sexy
    Solitaire: Sexy
    Mary: Sexy
    XXX; Smart
    Holly: Smart
    Melina: Both
    Octopussy: Smart
    Stacy: Sexy
    Kara: Sexy
    Pam: Smart
    Natalya: Both
    Wai Lin: Smart
    Christmas: Sexy
    Jinx: Sexy
    Vesper: Both
    Camille: Smart
    Kerim wrote:
    Honey: Both
    Tatiana: Sexy
    Pussy: Smart
    Domino: Sexy
    Aki: Both
    Tracy: Both
    Tiffany: Sexy
    Solitaire: Sexy
    Mary: Sexy
    XXX; Smart
    Holly: Smart
    Melina: Both
    Octopussy: Smart
    Stacy: Sexy
    Kara: Sexy
    Pam: Smart
    Natalya: Both
    Wai Lin: Smart
    Christmas: Sexy
    Jinx: Sexy
    Vesper: Both
    Camille: Smart

The only thing I'd change is XXX's status from Smart to Both
  • Smart OR Sexy? Why not both?!
    eva-green-and-sophie-harleys-love-knot-gallery.jpg

Both of these will do nicely.

Can't have sexy and emotional I'm afraid. Charlie was right. He knew he had to like Vespa and Tracey but went for the bombshell instead because that's what he thought Bond would do.

For me Ms.Goodnight and Ms.Fields had the right amount of emotional resonance I am looking for in a Bond girl. Eva certainly had her points but her character was right for the plot, so she would be the exception.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,450
    Vesper whasn't a intresting Bond girl, partly i blame this on Eva Green. I think you not always to be like a Bond girl (like Viona Volpe in TB) but i wish atleast the love story be more clear. It can more worse, like Jinx. Halle Barry looks better in X-men and also in Cat Woman (the scene's where isn't Cat Woman.) , this is above the problem of the chacter.

Gemma Arterton is the best Bond girl from DC era together with Mathis his girlfriend. For Skyfall i like Naomi Harris. I like Fields because she remember to the old days. She isn't smart and not sexy. Favorite scene be Airport scene http://mimg.ugo.com/201105/9/3/0/192039/girls-of-the-rush-gemma-arterton-621-image_gallery_2159_gemma-arterton-quantum-of-solace.jpg Mathis his girlfriend is like Naomi or the girl from horse car in Octopussy, not smart and again not to sexy.

Olga is smart, but no Natalya, i hope when Camile returns the chacter is grow again.

From the other girl of Skyfall is hope she wil play a Bond girl in the style of Martine Beswick (FRWL).

bond-girl-berenice-marlohe-skyfall-sexy-photo-1.jpg
    Good

berenice-marlohe-goggles.jpg
    Good. The Naomi look.

Berenice-Marlohe.jpg
    Bad. Like Elektra, Vesper, Solange or Camile. The pres pictures let's hope not like that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I would say why the "or"? Definitely both is best.
    I do want to add that I think Eva Green was both.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,782

She was but she wan integral part of the plot; the love DC has for her facilitated the betrayal and the whole emotional ride of the last reel for CR. There was a reason for to be like that.

I don't want Bond girls to be like that I want fluff on an arm, and let Bond do his thing by himself.

Case in point Miranda betrayed Bond but was there the soul searching we see with DC, no. She was seen a beautiful woman who screwed with Bond and she got what was coming to her. Bond should have done it but they left it to Jinx.

As I said before, totty or emotional ties?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    00Beast wrote:

Exactly !! Bond girls are there only to show their beauty. Bond girls are meant to be sexy, not 3-dimensional characters. And actresses should only be chosen for their looks and not acting ability. I don't care or want complex characters as Bond girl, just beautiful Bond girls in bikini (whenever possible !!) !!

• There's something here that I don't seem to be seeing. Can those who honestly believe that a woman can't be both smart AND sexy please explain why they believe this? I can understand why people are saying that they want to see sexy women (just as women want to see a sexy Bond) but I don't think anyone has explained why they think the two traits are mutually exclusive.
    i prefer both at all times given the opportunity!

She was but she wan integral part of the plot; the love DC has for her facilitated the betrayal and the whole emotional ride of the last reel for CR. There was a reason for to be like that.

I don't want Bond girls to be like that I want fluff on an arm, and let Bond do his thing by himself.

Case in point Miranda betrayed Bond but was there the soul searching we see with DC, no. She was seen a beautiful woman who screwed with Bond and she got what was coming to her. Bond should have done it but they left it to Jinx.

As I said before, totty or emotional ties?

I thought it was brilliant to see Bond giving in and letting down his defenses. It was something new for the character who otherwise goes port to port. It solidified both his vulnerability and humanity. And Vesper is tops, best in my book, and Eva portrayed her brilliantly alongside Dan in the franchises best film, also in my book. The film was faithful to the story of the novel concerning their love, but I think it did a better job. The love gets to grow, while in CR it seems overly rushed and Vesper is nothing but a weeping mess at the end for days. But all in all, CR is a new take on Bond letting down his protective wall to a woman who he was truly sold on, and the pain he feels when the finale hits is palpable, yet so bloody brilliant. I think he is able to understand why Vesper went along with the betrayal to save a man she thought was genuine, and at the end of it all he sees that she truly walked to her death for him. I'm glad Vesper is both smart and sexy, because that is the perfect woman. An intellectual who stimulates you in conversation on the most mature of subjects, and yet a lover who can seduce you when the sun goes down. Bond doesn't have to treat women like expendable treasures all the time, and I am thankful CR explored that with Bond and Vesper's relationship.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Is it really too much to ask for a smart and sexy girl? Had Camille not had so much emotional baggage, she might have fallen into this category.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 12,837
    00Beast wrote:

This. It was original in OHMSS and made a nice change in TWINE, it was ok for CR because it was an origin story, but from now on, less emotional romance crap, more action packed movie filled with awesome espoinage, gadgets and hot girls.
    I'd rather have some cerebral capacity with Bond women than turn up in a bikini or nice clothes and swoon at the camera. I don't mind some nice looking girls, and well there haven't really been any ugly ones for Bond, but most important I feel is a capability to understand and adapt to situations, not just take up parts of the picture or for more colorful scenery. Honey in the first picture was great, not only was she beautiful, but she was well educated to a point as well and articulate. Tiffany Case was like this to an extent too, but once she left Holland and arrived in Nevada she seemed to have a sort of mental breakdown and went from savvy and intelligent Diamond smuggler to dizzy air head bimbo in no time at all, not sure what went wrong there

Roberts and Berry were the worst maybe in terms of all looks and nothing between the ears, and even then Berry hardly represented Miss World in that release, some have said Bach too, is all looks and nothing else, but I thought her Amasova character quite stimulating at times. Chiles was a good example of not much at all, bland looking, not much to look at all even, and a bit clumsy and stupid sometimes. We seem to get all types of Bond girls throughout the years, one year it's as before then lo and behold for the next adventure (say 1981s For Your Eyes Only) we get introduced to a character such as Melina Havelock that is both some nice eye candy and has a brain as well. Fast forward to the next adventure, Maud Adams' Octopussy is both nice looking (dependant on one's age maybe) and seems intelligent (watch out for when she discusses with Moore about her father Major Dexter Smythe) and that's always good to see, and to bring it to a halt, for the next two releases, we had Tanya Roberts awful Stacey Sutton and D'Abo's Milovy, i.e. two women not that overly beautiful, somewhat annoying and thick as two short planks, although Roberts does talk at some length about being a seismologist and the effects of earth tremors etc but still not the sharpest knife in the draw was Ms Sutton

All told I'd rather have a smart girl than just looks and T and A, Yes they may appeal to some and make for a nice background but I'll always want a girl who can handle herself and be a match for Bond, something like Bouvier in License To Kill would be an example of this
  • no no no give me Christmas Jones please all day long. And yes someone might have her a**